Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Proper Coolant Level for a 2011 Porsche Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:54 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Proper Coolant Level for a 2011 Porsche Cayenne S

I have looked everywhere for some visual indicator on this tank and can't find what the proper level of coolant should be. I am worried it is extremely low. Can you guys with your vast knowledge please look over these photos and let me know where the proper level of coolant should be. I just took these photos and it is 38 degrees outside the engine hasn't been turned over in a day or so.

Thank you.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:19 PM
182 views and nobody??

Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Actually - for a cold coolant level you look fine.

There is no level mark on the tank, despite what the owners manual says. I went to the trouble of having the shop foreman take a look at mine and asked him to show me the level mark. He had to admit he couldn't find one either.

If you see fluid in the top of the reservoir above the plastic plate you're looking at - you're fine. If you look at the side of the tank and the coolant is at or above the seam in the tank - you're fine. It's hard to see on the side due to the beauty trim plastic that's in the way - and the coolant is so pale in color it doesn't really stand out.

I love how the pictogram on the top of the tank tells you to check the owners manual - which then gives you misinformation.

There is a low coolant warning - so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Thank you Deilenberger! I appreciate you taking the time to calm me down ;-) I thought I was going nuts looking for an indicator marker. Happy holidays!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
The 2017 doesn't appear to have any markings on the outside either.

This was in my driveway, which is a bit of an incline, dead-cold from overnight. I'm half-tempted to make a mark of some sort just so I have a baseline.

Attached Images    
Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Isn't that just ridiculous. What would happen if you were on the road and needed emergency roadside assistance and then you would have to guestimate. Are the 2 silver prongs any help? Please peeps chime in here. This morning I had the annoying cold 20 degree start coolant warning with the needle shooting to 250 degrees again. It went off after about 60 seconds but this is concerning me. I see no leaks in my driveway at all. Tomorrow I am getting the plugs changed, brake fluid flushed and oil changed and will hopefully have the mechanic take a look at the cooling system for me. Here is the pic...

Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 PM
garymyman is on a distinguished road
My tank (2011 V6) has markings on the side of the tank toward the front of the vehicle. You have to crane your neck a bit but they're there.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Photos?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:57 AM
garymyman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Photos?

After looking at the other pictures it looks like the plastic "shroud" design - surrounding the coolant tank - has changed in more recent years.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Here is what I can/cannot see on a 2011 Turbo:

Is it here?

Or here?

Must be here right?

Not ANYWHERE..

BTW - have had the beauty plastic surround off whilst changing plugs - can't recall seeing a marker on the tank anywhere. I'm guessing if it's up to the seam in the tank it's OK.

BTW-2 - these photos will have me out in the garage dusting.. being OCD is a PITA.

Last edited by deilenberger; 12-19-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 AM
boaterboat is an unknown quantity at this point
Found Markings

Found the markings on mine. Not really where the manual says. This is a 2011 Cayenne.

You can barely see the line below the seam.

Pointing to the general area for reference. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by boaterboat; 06-05-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Adding year mode
Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
like others have posted, theres marking on the side of the tank. this is the same tank used in some audi's. if you cant see it well, pull off the black plastic covers.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM
dwtaylorpdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't the manual say something like the warning light comes on at "X" liters low?
I thought my 996 C4 says the light comes on at 1liter.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by MikeL
like others have posted, theres marking on the side of the tank. this is the same tank used in some audi's. if you cant see it well, pull off the black plastic covers.
Had my covers off today (replacing air-filters) - and sure enough - the line is BELOW the seam in the tank. If you're filled to the seam you're fine. With the covers on the line cannot be seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.