Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Looking at used Cayenne Diesel for the wife - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM
pvgolfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mathme
I have a '16 CD with 39k miles on it. I live in the Bay Area and have a vacation home up in Lake Tahoe. The AWD system in the CD will be fine for snow and ice. I've had both dedicated winter tires as well as all season Pirelli's on my CD.

On my last trip to Tahoe (which includes going over a 7,400 foot pass) the computer told me I averaged 32.5MPG out of the entire trip. There are no more lingering issues with the Dieselgate as VW has a fix for it out there. I had mine fixed at my last service interval and about the only difference is that when the engine is cold, it holds onto a lower gear longer (this helps heat up the exhaust faster).

I also tow about 6,200 pounds of boat and trailer for about 2,000 miles on average per year (part of that includes bring it up to Tahoe). The CD does a great job with the boat and trailer. Yes, I know it's back there but it handles it great. during some 5-6% grades coming up the pass on a 2-lane road, she does slow down to about 40MPH, but get that diesel up to about 22-2500 RPM, and it'll pull all day there.

One other thing to note about the CD is that Porsche granted CPO warranty on ALL CDs when the diesel sandal broke. Thus, the car will be covered on a 6-year, 100k warranty.

My recommendation is get the CD and don't look back.
Thanks for all the good info. I'm still on the fence about buying a CPO 2015/2016 Diesel or just paying about $10-12k more to get a CPO 2016 Cayenne S. I like how everyone has been touting the 30+mpg for the diesel, but I'm a little bit afraid of the lack of horsepower when towing up a grade.

I have a Porsche GT4 with open trailer (total weight about 4700#). When I tow to most tracks in SoCal (and NorCal) it requires going over a hill (I5 - Cajon Pass; HWY 14 Tejon). Will I be one of those "slow" guys that has to stay in the right lane along with the 16-wheel trailers going 40 mph???

Currently, my Mercedes GL450 can pull the load up these grades at 65+ mph. I'd like to be able to do that with the diesel... is that asking too much?

I typically caravan with some other track rats - they have Cayenne S and GTS as their tow vehicles. I hope not to be left in the dust of my buddies when going up the hills.

Last edited by pvgolfer; 02-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM
porscheconvert is on a distinguished road
I just got a Diesel. Doesn't the Diesel hold the Guinness Book of World Record for towing a plane? I don't think you'll find any issue with HP with this thing. Only difference I can tell you between 2 seems to show in 1st gear. At times, it can be a bit laggy in the takeoff. I just bought the Blue Spark add on last night and it seems to have helped. Warranty+TCO with Fuel+$350 BS = much better choice for CD.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porscheconvert
I just got a Diesel. Doesn't the Diesel hold the Guinness Book of World Record for towing a plane?
It is the european Cayenne Diesel S towing the A380.

Nevertheless I had both the V6 and V8 diesel and towed my 911 easy far faster than 60mph with the V6. (Up to 80mph, closed trailer)
I admit I had no true hills to climb.

Now if you compare with a GTS, the V8D should probably match, but the V6 will stay in "its dust" as said PVGolfer.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Maor Roffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I bought a 2013 at the end of October. Warranty until August 2019. I registered on the settlement website and am receiving a payment from VW for around $8500. I had the fix done in December and the car drives slightly differently. It holds gears a little longer, and the new exhaust is slightly louder. There was no perceptible power loss and fuel consumption has been the same.
Last week I installed a Bluespark tuning module. There is a definite power increase. The torque curve is very flat from about 1300 to 3000 rpm. Their ads say it’s around 500ft/lbs and that seems to be what my butt dyno feels.
Go buy one. It’s honestly more fun to drive daily than my C4S in an urban environment.
Hi, I have a question. I am shopping for a 2013/14 CD now and reading through posts to learn more about them. I stumbled across your post about recently buying a Cayenne and then getting a settlement of $8500?
I was going to buy one regardless but, I'm curious now if this settlement is something even I could apply for once I pick up my "new" used 2014?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any info. All this new to me.

Best,
Maor

Old 12-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Elberoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Thanks for all the good info. I'm still on the fence about buying a CPO 2015/2016 Diesel or just paying about $10-12k more to get a CPO 2016 Cayenne S. I like how everyone has been touting the 30+mpg for the diesel, but I'm a little bit afraid of the lack of horsepower when towing up a grade.

I have a Porsche GT4 with open trailer (total weight about 4700#). When I tow to most tracks in SoCal (and NorCal) it requires going over a hill (I5 - Cajon Pass; HWY 14 Tejon). Will I be one of those "slow" guys that has to stay in the right lane along with the 16-wheel trailers going 40 mph???

Currently, my Mercedes GL450 can pull the load up these grades at 65+ mph. I'd like to be able to do that with the diesel... is that asking too much?

I typically caravan with some other track rats - they have Cayenne S and GTS as their tow vehicles. I hope not to be left in the dust of my buddies when going up the hills.
I don't think you should have a problem. Base Cayenne Dieslel already has more torque than GL450 (550Nm vs 460Nm). Mine is chipped and puts down 620Nm. It pulls like a fraight train.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.