Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Anyone upgrade their fog lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 PM
MayorMcCheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone upgrade their fog lights?

Whats up fellas

Anyone upgrade their fog lights on their Cayennes? Im seing on Sylvanias replacement guide that the fogs are H11 so I am on The Retrofit Source looking at H11 LED lights which I hear are very good

what do you guys do if anything to your fogs?

I purchased a couple of small mods already including all LED bulbs and license plate, gold "S" emblem, new key snap on color (Blue) and now these fogs lights

Anyone do anything yet?
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...ect_restrict=1

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Ummm... you're gonna give NJ a bad rep.. (not that it matters since our governor has done that already..)

I realize you're young.. (and I'm old) - but - foglights are for fog. LEDs aren't the right light for fog. Foglights used to be yellow - for a reason - less glare. And running around with them on with the headlights just looks.. tacky. And you actually can't do that on a Cayenne. When you turn on the parking lights the headlights go off (and the auto-on function is killed obviously).. the reason for turning the headlights off - glare in fog again.

The gold "S" emblem? Remember when everyone who bought a Lexus gold-plated the trim? That was real popular for about a year (actually you may not remember 'cause it was when you were about 7..)

Just sayin'... of course if you're from north Jersey (north of the Raritan River) - all that stuff is just fine.

I went as far as a black license plate frame on the front so it doesn't get bent up in carwashes, and a gold key fob. Oh - and a Renntech decal on the right side rear window. I think I might have overdone it a bit.

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-14-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 AM
I know that Lexus it's the LS400 lol how much was that gold appearance package back in the day $500?

I have no plans on modding anything on this Cayenne except the fog lights and deleting secoandry exhaust.. the fog lights I don't like any halogen bulbs and that's what the dogs are so I like knowing I swapped them for LEDs
the S emblem looks nice but i have to make the final call on how it looks.. all my cars Ive owned I've always tastefully modded I enjoy making them more upscale in appearance I never liked doing something tacky

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262871134238

This was my buick I purchased in 2013.. the seat stitching was my favorite thing to do very tedious but I'm very OCD so imagine individually going over every stitch one by one how time consuming lol
https://buickforums.com/forums/threads/38644-MayorMcCheese-s-Official-Build-Thread-PIC-HEAVY

Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
I know that Lexus it's the LS400 lol how much was that gold appearance package back in the day $500?
Something like that - and that was when $500 was actually money..
I have no plans on modding anything on this Cayenne except the fog lights and deleting secoandry exhaust.. the fog lights I don't like any halogen bulbs and that's what the dogs are so I like knowing I swapped them for LEDs
Obviously your call - but since you can't run them and the headlights - when is anyone going to see them?
the S emblem looks nice but i have to make the final call on how it looks.. all my cars Ive owned I've always tastefully modded I enjoy making them more upscale in appearance I never liked doing something tacky

This was my buick I purchased in 2013.. the seat stitching was my favorite thing to do very tedious but I'm very OCD so imagine individually going over every stitch one by one how time consuming lol
https://buickforums.com/forums/threa...read-PIC-HEAVY
Your Buick thread was a victim of the Photobucket ransom scheme. No photos on 3rd party websites unless you pay them $399/year. That's one reason I always upload photos to the website that hosts anything I'm posting. The photos go with the website and don't depend on something like Photobucket to display.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 PM
BenCD is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 100W clear H11 halogen bulbs in my fogs right now. I only use my fog lights either when there is fog or if it is raining or, if the roads are wet and the 100W bulb is a lot better than the stock 55W bulb for sure.

I may either get a Morimoto H11 LED kit for the fog lights or their fog light housings complete with the LED already installed in the lamp.

The fog lights can be on either with the low beams or just by themselves with the parking lights on.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:04 PM
I love Morimoto they've always been very good to me and others around me but I may steer towards a set off amazon

Amazon Amazon

with nearly 5,000 reviews a 2 yr warranty (morimoto 5yr) but its Amazon so no worries

Gonna bite and get these I do however prefer a little less lumens as these are 7000 and I am more looking for 6,000... I want these to look more natural to the unexpected eye but I will see how these go.. going to do my best to avoid taking bumper off

Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Gonna bite and get these I do however prefer a little less lumens as these are 7000 and I am more looking for 6,000... I want these to look more natural to the unexpected eye but I will see how these go.. going to do my best to avoid taking bumper off
Lumens are a measure of brightness, not color. The numbers you're using are "Kelvin" which is a measure of wavelength (ie - color of the light.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

The stock HID headlights are around 3,700K..

Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Lumens are a measure of brightness, not color. The numbers you're using are "Kelvin" which is a measure of wavelength (ie - color of the light.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

The stock HID headlights are around 3,700K..
Correct. My point exactly.. I am talking brightness not color, I was more wanting something that sits in the fog light housing being bright but not overly bright.. over stock fogs lights I know these will be brighter but the level of brightness I had hoped to be less lumens but I am pleased overall.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_64a.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	480131  
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Lets get some definitions out of the way:

Brightness = Intensity = Lumens (and Footcandles, but we won't go there) - and is measured in "Lumens" - a typical brightness number might be 100 Lumens. Things like video projector brightness is commonly expressed in Lumens. A really good video projector will be about 2-3,000 lumens.

Color = Color Temperature = Wavelength = Kelvin. When you say 4,000K - you're talking about a white color beam. When you say 6,000K you're talking a beam with a blue "cast" to it.

I looked at the ad. They're claiming something like 3,500 Lumens brightness from each capsule for a total of 7,000 Lumens for both lights, with a color temperature of 6,000 Kelvin. I find the claim of 3,500 Lumens for each light a bit questionable - at least if you expect the LED to last for a while. Some of the best LED auxiliary lighting is around 1,500-2,000 Lumens from 2 LED chips (PIAA makes a number of good reflector-design LED auxiliary lights, I have some on my important vehicle - the motorcycle.) You can drive LED chips harder - but that shortens their life.

I think what you may want to consider is something not so bright, and with a lower color temperature - like 4,000 Kelvin.

The reason for not so bright is because of how the eye and mind works (yes - I used to do this sort of thing for a living..) So bear with me a bit..

First google "retina rods and cones"

Ideally night vision has your iris on your eye wide open, and with the rods in the retina taking the predominant role for the best use of the available light.

In high speed driving at night - the real need is for distance vision being maximized. That happens with the high-beam on - it lights at a distance, and since the rods aren't saturated (did you read the Google stuff above referenced) you can see well at a distance. Things very close to you aren't really very important since you are exceeding a speed where you can do anything about them. (Ask anyone who has nailed a deer at night..)

If you put a bright light close to the vehicle - the eye detects this - and adjusts to the bright light by retracting the rods and bringing the cones to the fore. This means your distance vision suffers. The bright light also will cause the iris of the eye to close down to adjust the light level to something acceptable for the eye.

The fog light by design is mean to put light close to the vehicle, in a flat broad pattern. It falls close to the front of the vehicle. That's great at the slow speed you'd expect to be driving in foggy conditions at night. It's not so good or useful at any real road speed.

There is also a color response curve in the eye - and it is more sensitive to yellow light than pure white, and much more sensitive to white light (say around 3,700K) then to a blue/white light like the 6,000K. Also - the higher Kelvin colors cause more glare in actual fog conditions due to how the fog reflects the light back at the driver. Again - a reason why fog-lights used to be yellow, until style moved them to white (actually in France - headlight bulbs were also yellow until just a few years ago, for the same reason.)

That's why at least on my '11 CTT - I can't put the foglights on unless the headlights are turned off and the parking lights are used. It's possible that you may be able to program the Gateway to allow the fogs to be used with low-beams, but I'd rather not actually. In real fog - you want the fog-lights and nothing else.

Both these factors are why I'd suggest looking for a bulb that puts out a reasonable amount of light (perhaps 1,500-2,000 Lumens per bulb) at a color temperature close to the stock HID headlight (3,700K.)

This is a case where more is less. Brighter doesn't mean you'll see better in a useful way. "Whiter" (ie-blueish) doesn't mean you'll see better at all. And being too bright will blind oncoming motorists - meaning their iris will close and the rods will go into hiding - and they won't be able to see you as well.

FWIW - photo demonstrations of how bright lights are - are deceiving. The camera (usually a cell phone) adjusts it's sensitivity to the light being reflected, plus the color sensitivity curve of a camera sensor isn't very close to that of the human eye.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:38 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ Great explanation Don. Thanks for enlightening us!

One possible edit: Color = Color Temperature in degrees Kelvin.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:01 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
I went with the Philips Ultinon 6000k LED Fog Lights H11. No issues at all and they match my Xenon Bulbs (Osram CBH D1S 6000k) perfectly!

Whats up fellas

Anyone upgrade their fog lights on their Cayennes? Im seing on Sylvanias replacement guide that the fogs are H11 so I am on The Retrofit Source looking at H11 LED lights which I hear are very good

I purchased a couple of small mods already including all LED bulbs and license plate, gold "S" emblem, new key snap on color (Blue) and now these fogs lights

Anyone do anything yet?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:03 PM
NWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond reputeNWturbo has a reputation beyond repute
If you are interested in the secondary cat delete, I have a used resonated one for sale:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-958-a.html

https://buickforums.com/forums/threa...read-PIC-HEAVY

Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Session is on a distinguished road
Whats up fellas

Anyone do anything yet?

I did modify my foglights but I didn't want LEDs in a reflector housing since I thought it would be annoying to other drivers.

This i what I ended up getting:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/po...to-xb-led.html

I am pretty happy so far. I get some great looking projectors in a waterproof housing with a very similar color temp as the headlights. They are basically plug and play - and they can be adjusted such that the cutoff is level.

Last edited by Session; 07-17-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 AM
westsiderkg is on a distinguished road
Got mine from ecs tuning ziza brand I believe. Good for the price.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:49 PM
I still have not installed mine its been pretty hot in NJ and I haven't touched the fender liner yet so i'm lacking motivation

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.