Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Reprogram Instrument Cluster.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 AM
cayguy0521 is on a distinguished road
Reprogram Instrument Cluster.

As I mentioned earlier, my instrument cluster keeps getting off and it works fine if I remove fuse and put it back. I went to the dealership and they told me I have to replace instrument cluster. I am thinking about buying used cluster but it has different odometer than mine. dealership told me it cannot reprogramming the one already has been programmed. Any suggestion for this?
Also, I purchased New 2011 CS. After year drive, my side marker burned so I went to the dealership and they said it is caused my aftermarket bulb that I used in that time (I used same watt and voltage). Therefore I paid around 225 to replace whole parts. After, driving like two year (about 15000 miles), it burned again... So I paid another 225 bc it has been more than a year and I could not get warranty for that service (I replaced on Feb,2017). It's been couple months and I was on vacation from March to May so I did not drive this car for three months. Now I see that side marker is start burning again... Anyone has this issue?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cayguy0521
As I mentioned earlier, my instrument cluster keeps getting off and it works fine if I remove fuse and put it back. I went to the dealership and they told me I have to replace instrument cluster. I am thinking about buying used cluster but it has different odometer than mine. dealership told me it cannot reprogramming the one already has been programmed. Any suggestion for this?
What they are referring to is that your odometer is stored in the cluster. So if you put in a used cluster, you'll be showing their milage instead of yours.

For a new cluster they can change the milage within the first 50 miles, but after that it is fixed and can not be changed (other than by driving).

I know there are DIYs out there for reprogramming used clusters or swapping the chips from old to "new" for the 996 and 986, but those take some serious soldering and electronics skills. Don't know if there is something similar for the 958.

As a side note, if you go with a new cluster, many shops will not program the new one unless they did the swap themselves (e.g. you can't DIY the swap and then have them reprogram the milage). Basically they don't want to risk getting caught up in an odometer tampering case where you tell them it was at 10k when it was really at 100k and they couldn't see/read the old value first.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.