Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY - How to Change Clear Sidemarker Lens + Bulbs

Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
DIY - How to Change Clear Sidemarker Lens + Bulbs

There has been a DIY posted before using the Owner's Manual way which will take up to an hour to do both side going behind the wheel wells.

The below DIY was posted in text courtesy of "WiredWays", I figure I would post the instruction with pictures for reference. This took me 30 seconds to do for each side.

Tools:
  • Gloves (Reminding you to always wear gloves when handling bulbs, oil from finger can cause damage to the bulbs)
  • Fishing Line or very strong floss
This is what I used, from Daiso @ $1.50

Parts:
  • Euro Clear Side Markers
  • Any type of WY5W bulbs
The dealer already pre-installed the Euro clear lens for me so I'll be swapping the clear bulbs out, process is the same

On the left is the Osram Diadem "Chrome" bulbs I will use to replace the factory clear bulbs (on the right) that came stock with our Amber Sidemarkers

Steps:
Now using the fishing line, cut it long enough so it gives you enough length to pull on them later, stuff it behind the lens from the front, the gap is tiny but it will fit

Wiggle the line further in until it stops, around this area

Get a grip on both ends of the fishing line and give it a gentle tug, it will unclip the lens from the front pressure clip, you can now see where the fishing line stops from the previous step, should take no more than 15 seconds up to this step

To change the bulbs, just "pull" the light socket out, no need to twist

If you are just changing the lens, you can stop here, put the new one in (clip the back end first) and follow the same steps on the other side. Super easy.

Continue if changing the bulbs: remember to use gloves or towel to pull out the bulb, pop the new one in

Make sure to do a light test before you put the lens back, especially important if you are changing to LED (polarity only allows one direction)

this is the stock clear bulbs

now put everything back in and enjoy!

Special note on this bulb, it makes clear lens legal, it blinks OEM amber, lasts forever, won't melt housing, looks clean when installed

This is better than LED solution IMO

hope the pictorial guide helps you guys a bit, feel free to ask questions

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8388.JPG
Views:	6438
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	345243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8387.JPG
Views:	6788
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	345244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8389.JPG
Views:	6370
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	345245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8390.JPG
Views:	6314
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	345246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8391.JPG
Views:	6296
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	345247  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8392.JPG
Views:	6410
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	345248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8394.JPG
Views:	6149
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	345249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8396.JPG
Views:	6326
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	345250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8397.JPG
Views:	6633
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	345251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8402.JPG
Views:	6128
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	345252  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8395.JPG
Views:	6343
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	345253  

Last edited by kechang; 03-11-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo on title
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
Nice! Pics definitely eliminates any confusion.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Bushburner is on a distinguished road
does any vendors sell smoked ones?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
suncoast sells the flims for the sidemarkers, 4 different shades, worth a look if you like it

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...AYGTSEXTLIGHTS

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Warehouser is on a distinguished road
Just installed my Clear Side Markers from Suncoast last week. Thanks for the WY5W bulb info, ordered a set today!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Where did you got those bulbs? I tried the LED route but they were garbage!

I actually bought the film for the housing to smoke them and they are great! Use a little windex on the sticky side, move them in place and let it dry! Voila!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Nice! I already bought clear side markers and some other stuff for my CTT and I don't even have it yet. Hope to get it by this weekend and this DIY will help a lot! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Fkim011

I actually bought the film for the housing to smoke them and they are great! Use a little windex on the sticky side, move them in place and let it dry! Voila!
I hope I won't get in trouble for providing the link, but I got them from Powerbulbs: Here is the link, make sure to use the new code POWER20 for 20% off and if you spend $25 or more, the clear Osram bulbs you see in the post is free with purchase.

Originally Posted by str8blst
Nice! I already bought clear side markers and some other stuff for my CTT and I don't even have it yet. Hope to get it by this weekend and this DIY will help a lot! Thanks!
great, hope this helps! let me know if you run into any issues with your install

Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Thanks!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:47 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fkim011

I've had great luck with the right LED bulbs. Just use a high-quality SMD LED CANBUS bulb and you'll be good. autolumination.com or superbrightleds.com

Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
generally if there's an LED alternative, I'll be all over it, but I just don't see the benefit of putting LED in the side markers not to mention with the clear lens, its odd shape could be seen far easily

also, the CANBUS LED solution tends to die over time after being overheated

Below were the exact words from VLED when I contacted them about acquiring a CANBUS LED

"Sorry we do not. Unfortunately adding load to the bulbs adds heat which in turn overheats the LED and they will quickly fail. In order for us to offer a reliable product to the vehicles that do not require load, we cannot install the resistors on the bulbs."

Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM
AZN_C300 is on a distinguished road
If you're looking to stealth out regular halogen bulbs, you can also get high temp chrome paint (caliper, header, etc) from an auto parts store for a few bucks and give your bulb a quick spray. If the bulbs are orange lens bulbs, it will still shine orange over the chrome paint. Just a heads up for you DIY guys as this is a DIY thread.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kechang
generally if there's an LED alternative, I'll be all over it, but I just don't see the benefit of putting LED in the side markers not to mention with the clear lens, its odd shape could be seen far easily

also, the CANBUS LED solution tends to die over time after being overheated

Below were the exact words from VLED when I contacted them about acquiring a CANBUS LED

"Sorry we do not. Unfortunately adding load to the bulbs adds heat which in turn overheats the LED and they will quickly fail. In order for us to offer a reliable product to the vehicles that do not require load, we cannot install the resistors on the bulbs."
I'm going on years with CANBUS LED bulbs with no issues. The bulbs I use have heat sinks. They white color units match great with the newer P-cars that have LED running lights.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by AZN_C300
If you're looking to stealth out regular halogen bulbs, you can also get high temp chrome paint (caliper, header, etc) from an auto parts store for a few bucks and give your bulb a quick spray. If the bulbs are orange lens bulbs, it will still shine orange over the chrome paint. Just a heads up for you DIY guys as this is a DIY thread.
I did that back in the BMW E46 days, and the result was a disaster, too light a coat, the amber was obvious and too thick made it extremely dim, it wasn't easy to get it right, maybe I was just not good at it and now the big name companies make these great bulbs, why bother just to save a few bucks

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I'm going on years with CANBUS LED bulbs with no issues. The bulbs I use have heat sinks. They white color units match great with the newer P-cars that have LED running lights.
that's great that you've had great experience, I just personally don't find the look attractive, it's fine if it can be hidden like the license plate LED, but

not liking this look at all

Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM
That's an issue when the lens fully clear with no diffuser/shield/etc.... although superbrightleds.com has "clear dome" type bulbs now - I just purchased some for my 63 Bel Air.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - How to Change Clear Sidemarker Lens + Bulbs