Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Whinning & Rattle 2011 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 AM
todomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Whinning & Rattle 2011 Turbo

Hi All,

2011 Turbo with a full service two months ago. Yesterday noticed a whining noise in tune with the revs, the greater the revs the greater the whine but only on low gears, mostly when pulling out of traffic or at the lights.

The problem went away after a few miles of driving and the car drove superbly today, however on my second drive today, 10 minutes in and the whining started again when i was about to pull away from the lights. There is also a rattling noise coming from the engine bay, especially between 1500 and 3000 rpm.

I have made a booking with the dealer already just now but any ideas of what i could be looking at? Some googling suggests possible issues being the water pump, transfer case, power steering pump or a fault with the engine itself (i hope not, and it seems to be an intermittent issue).

You help would be very welcome, perhaps it has happened to one of the members here before and you can put my mind at rest?

Its done around 80,000 miles. Never given any problems prior to this.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Has similar sound on my 987TT, it was a cracked plastic vacuum tee at the rear of the engine against the fire wall about 6" down center of engine bay.
Mine caused a check engine light.
hope this helps.
post update when available.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Todomas,

I hope it is something minor. Good luck!

TJ

Old 03-11-2018, 11:28 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
I had rattling and whining and thought i was my transfer case. Turned out to be the front diff, which was replaced by dealer. Car has 45k