Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 ECU Tuning... JB4 anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:51 PM
ImHereLive957 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 958 ECU Tuning... JB4 anyone?

Hey all, I'm a new Cayenne Turbo 958 owner, picked up a few days ago. Disregard the 957 in my name, long story. Bought an 08 Turbo a few weeks ago, then that deal fell apart. It worked out in the end with picking up a better 958 anyway probably. Much nicer interior. I could go on and on.

I wanted to start a discussion on aftermarket ECU tuning options for the 958. I spent the past month deep in the 955/957 threads here and over at Reenlist. Thoroughly read deep builds like J'sWorld 955 monster and Ren Man here's monster 957 build. Can't seem to find many "***** to the wall" 958 builds, or any documented 958 build threads at all. I know J'sWorld on Reenlist had major problems finding ECU tuning solutions after rebuilding his 955 engine and upgrading turbos. IIRC Ren Man here was more successful, think he used Softtronic?

So far my options for the 958 seem down to EVOMS, GIAC, Softronic, or VividRacing for reputable tuning. Some of these seem sorta antiquated requiring full ECU removal - send the unit off - install reflashed/remapped unit when it's returned to you, etc. I don't know. And/or, the pricing for some of these options is likewise insane in the four-figure plus range. However, I know from a good friend in the BMW N54/N55 scene how good the Burger Motorsports JB4 is. And it seems they have an option for our Cayennes (and other Porsches). I'm shocked to be unable to find much info on anyone who's used it. Not on any of the forums, not on the YouTube, nowhere. So maybe I'll be the first guinea pig and try it out? Might even throw water meth at it too while I'm at it. The tune from BMS JB4 already claims a 75+hp/tq increase with just the tune alone. I can only imagine with adding water meth and maybe test pipes / cat bypass exhaust mods... probably easy to pick up 100-150hp with all combined mods.

Has anyone heard of or had any experience with the JB4 on any Porsche they know of? Here's the link:

https://burgertuning.com/products/porsche-panamera-jb4-beta?variant=16662621880435]JB4 Tuner for Porsche Panamera/Cayenne

APPLICATIONS

• 2010-2016 V8 Porsche Panamera 971 Twin Turbo, Turbo S
  • 2011-2017 V8 Porsche Cayenne 958 Twin Turbo

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-29-2022 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm going to sort of answer my own question. Doesn't seem like the JB4 is the direction I personally will go for tuning. I did more research, and although the JB4 being a piggy-back tuning solution sounds great say, if you have a factory warranty and need to be sneaky or something lol.
Me on the other hand, no warranty, just want the best, safest, cleanest tuning software. Now, to look at VR (Vivid Racing), EVMOS, Fabspeed et.al. Really frustrated/confused though, you can find ECU flash tunes starting around $1400 all the way up to $3200. That is an insane spread/range all for the same results, say with a stock or even "stage 1" or "2" tune (minimal minor bolt ons i.e. test pipes or something). I have no idea who's spending $3200 for a simple single one-time ECU tune flash on an OTHERWISE 100% STOCK VEHICLE. Sheesh. I used to think the $500 Cobb Accessport was expensive. What an idiot I was lol. When you start talking about multiples of thousands of dollars just for an ECU tune, you might as well get some fancypants MOTEC or AEM complete standalone EMS setup. Good god, I'm not trying to break world records with my Cayenne or my bank account. I just want 100+ more horsepower and torque for now which can be easily accomplished with an ECU tune. There's the Softronics tune solution too. I'm slightly surprised no one here has chimed in on what they've used personally or heard others have good results with for the 958.1 platform. I thought this place was more alive than Reenlist!

Last edited by ImHereLive957; 03-27-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:57 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I have a 955 turbo and came up with a similar list. I was leaning towards either Softronic or FVD.

I'm interested in what you find and pick for the 958 and will follow this thread. Good luck!

Last edited by spyder997s; 03-28-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by spyder997s
I have a 955 turbo and came up with a similar list. I was leaning towards either Softronic or FVD.

I'm interested in what you find and pick for the 958 and will follow this thread. Good luck!
Awesome thanks man! Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards Softronic at this point. I talked to someone at Vivid Racing and that's another option I'm considering as well. All the others are way too unnecessarily overpriced i.e. EVMOS, GIAC et.al.

I'll happily update this thread as I get more info.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:33 AM
Blessededward is an unknown quantity at this point
Love love love FVD's tune! Easy...fast...cheap and passed smog in Calif!!

While I am not fully familiar with all of the other ECU Mod manufactures offerings after reading everything I could I went with FVD as I found nothing but great reviews on their products....I ordered the My Genius ECU Flash kit and they sent out the device to download the parameters on my car(which are exhaust...intake...air filter)...and I then sent them back the download online with a list of what modifications I had made....they soon sent back a custom flash made for my cars specific parameters...I downloaded it in the car and it is a completely different animal!!! Omg it went from quick to fast!!! Much much faster....no lights...no issues...and it passed smog in Californai!!! My mileage actually went up a mile a gallon!!! The people are great to deal with and as you can tell by my review I could not be any a happier and its under $1,000 how good is that...for this kind of increase I would have paid $5,000 since it doesn't even void smog in California!! I have not had it dynoed yet but I believe it up about 100 HP at the wheels based on performance. You can try others but you will never find anything better for the money...my email is edwardtheblessed@yahoo.com if you have any questions....enjoy!

Old 06-30-2023, 01:20 PM
Corvetteboy6988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im currently trying to decide between FVD and Softronic. I hear nothing bad about either, only praises from all, and both are dedicated Porsche tuners (which is nice - although Softronic is doing other makes).
Does anyone have a 955 turbo dyno before/after for the softronic tune? I would like to compare to FVD (they have one on their site).
Peak numbers are one thing, but how its delivered over the rpm range is important as well.

Does anyone have any back to back experience with either, to compare, 955/957/958? i imagine they cant be that different.

I like that Scott is in US based, but its a plus that in other ways that FVD is based on Germany, plus and minuses for each, I just wish I could try both and compare which suits my preferences and runs best on my 05 CTT.

I do like the 30 day guarantee from FVD, that might be what sells me on their tune, Softronic has no kind of guarantee or warranty, an knowing my luck I would have something go bad/wrong.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:28 PM
Go with Todd @ Protomotive. I run his tune on my 958 Turbo. Awesome guy: https://www.protomotive.com/wp422/product-category/cayenne9559579589ya/?v=7516fd43adaa

From what I understand, Scott aka Softronic used to be affiliated with him somehow, and they parted ways.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-30-2023 at 07:58 PM.