Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Mr.B Cayenne 08 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
If you read my recent autocross thread, then you would know that I just ruined a good OEM center driveshaft support bearing bushing in just one day of track use. I repeat, one single day. Even though I probably could have had it replaced under warranty, I wanted to look for a more permanent solution.

I have known about the Vertex Auto replacement center driveshaft support bearing bushing (what a long name!) for about a year now and spoke to them over the phone around last May. They are extremely confident about this product, have a pending patent, where I was told they sell "hundreds" of them each month for the Touareg, Q7, and Cayenne crowd.

From an engineering perspective, the design looks solid whereas the internal section is CNC machined out of aluminum where it clamps around the existing DS bearing. I could not find any online complaints so I ordered this part and a replacement damper (flex disc). Additionally, the design is modular and allows you to install and remove the bushing without needing to drop the driveshaft and exhaust. So, it should prove easy to service, if need be, in the future. Moreover, they are also marketing that this is a permanent solution.

I installed it in about half a day and very happy with it so far. FWIW, I made sure to replace the mild steel allen screw that came with it, with stainless steel allen screws (M6 x 1.0) from the local hardware store and applied anti-seize to protect against corrosion. No more KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!. In fact, it seems better able to handle my higher levels of torque. When turning 90 deg. and applying WOT (cause fun, clearly) the stock unit, even when brand new, would slightly knock until throttle lift. The vertex unit does not complain at all. All tire chirps and chassis flex.

Here are pics of the unit itself and the install procedure:

EPS Drive Shaft Clamping Center Support - YouTube
Hi

How is this Bushing doing on your car. I am about to buy one and get it shipping to South Africa. Was it worthwhile installing it?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr.B Cayenne 08
Hi

How is this Bushing doing on your car. I am about to buy one and get it shipping to South Africa. Was it worthwhile installing it?
This bushing performed great for me. I had it for about 50K miles and it never gave me an issue. I decided to replace it for an aluminum driveshaft later on for a more direct and sporty feel to the drivetrain.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
This bushing performed great for me. I had it for about 50K miles and it never gave me an issue. I decided to replace it for an aluminum driveshaft later on for a more direct and sporty feel to the drivetrain.
Renaissance Man, a few questions for you
  1. curious why you chose the aluminum over the CF version of -.was it just price or other factors too?
  2. Did you consider installing the new aluminum Driveshaft with the Vertex center support as an extra stability measure or is it totally not needed, or are they not compatible?
  3. Did you get the aluminum Driveshaft from Lindsay Racing or somewhere else?
  4. Do you know if my 2009 CTTS Driveshaft is the exact same unit used on the earlier 955, as Lindsay only shows compatibility with the 955 generation. I asked them the question and they couldn't confirm or deny if it would work. They suggested I look both up in PET and compare the part #s, but I thought you might know.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Petza914
curious why you chose the aluminum over the CF version of -.was it just price or other factors too?
Other factors...early versions of the CF DS had separation failures at the metal end piece to CF transition. I hear that they corrected it different fabrication techniques and epoxies. However, the aluminum one is welded; so IMO it is mechanically more sound in this regards.

Also, a few pounds of more rotating weight will not make a huge difference on a 6000 lb truck with AWD.

Did you consider installing the new aluminum Driveshaft with the Vertex center support as an extra stability measure or is it totally not needed, or are they not compatible?
The latter - Not compatible and not needed. The aluminum DS is a one-piece design without a center bearing. Hence, it does not need a center bearing support bushing. Look at the designs closely and you will see what I mean.

Did you get the aluminum Driveshaft from Lindsay Racing or somewhere else?
Lindsay Racing I believe resells the aluminum DS from the Driveshaft Shop. I bought mine from the Driveshaft shop.

Do you know if my 2009 CTTS Driveshaft is the exact same unit used on the earlier 955, as Lindsay only shows compatibility with the 955 generation. I asked them the question and they couldn't confirm or deny if it would work. They suggested I look both up in PET and compare the part #s, but I thought you might know.
The part #s are different in PET, but it will work in a 957 since that is what I have. I have had it for about 30K miles without an issue.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks very much Renaissance Man. Exactly the input I was looking for. I'm going to go the aluminum route too when the time is right, so especially appreciate the info that yours was in a 957 as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Mr.B Cayenne 08 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing

Originally Posted by rymo926
Thanks for the tip. Shaft just went out yesterday. Had the tube and zip lying around. Can't believe it worked. Time will tell how it will hold up.
Hi Zuffenhausen955

This is one fascinating story My Man. Big up to Jimmy. How did it all ended? How many miles/Km's did the hoses last beyond the 900miles you guys travelled?

Last edited by Mr.B Cayenne 08; 10-04-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:41 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Thanks very much Renaissance Man. Exactly the input I was looking for. I'm going to go the aluminum route too when the time is right, so especially appreciate the info that yours was in a 957 as well.
And for only about twice the price of the EPS part. Seems like the smart way to go if you plan on long term ownership..

Old 04-11-2024, 05:00 PM
OjaiM5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine just went out, man is it a poorly made part.
I looked at all the options and decided to try this 3d printed part found on ebay. I have not received it yet but the reviews are great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204390417823
With just basic tools and skills I believe anyone could do this job if needed. I will check back once I have it all installed.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-15-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:11 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Jimi Fix 60,000 miles. I don't ever think about it. Why mess with perfection.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:31 PM
I love that Jimi Fix solution. I can't believe when this first starting happening with the Cayennes the dealership would charge people $1,500 for a complete driveshaft assembly.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:16 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OjaiM5
Mine just went out, man is it a poorly made part.
I looked at all the options and decided to try this 3d printed part found on ebay. I have not received it yet but the reviews are great.

With just basic tools and skills I believe anyone could do this job if needed. I will check back once I have it all installed.
Be interested how that works out - it looks like a 3D printed version of the JimiFix.. not a bad thing.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-15-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:04 PM
Just for reference -
It seems that there are many ways to fix this poorly made rubber insert by Porsche.
My ebay printed part is not the cheapest way of doing it but may be the easiest way to repair and get the rig back on the road. The insert came today and the quality is very nice. Seems like it is printed out of a medium hardness polypropylene.

It took about 25 minutes to do the task, Bushing comes with great instructions. Drove it around and works fine.