Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Interested in faster shifting in your Cayenne? Show your support here...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Loving-it-22 is on a distinguished road
I'm in. Very interested as there seems to be quite a bit of lag. Wouldn't hurt if he could improve the daily driving characteristics as well. Tcu just doesn't seem very intuitive when driving normally. Upshifts too quickly and sport mode is too far the other way for cruising. Something in the middle would be great. Either way, I'm in

Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM
bigfoot007 is on a distinguished road
Im in

Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Update

Talked to Scott last week and since we have over 10 members vouching to support this initiative, he will give it a shot

Since my CTT is a daily driver, I had to secure another 957 TCU for Scott to work on without any downtime. Since there were no solid options, I had to buy new and opted for the 957 Turbo S TCU. According to the part numbers, there is a difference between the standard Turbo and Turbo S TCU. If I had to guess, it would be all software related and would pertain to quicker shifts from the factory.

All considering, I thought this would be a better base software map for Scott to base his revisions on. If this is correct, this means that all future 957 owners would get a revised Turbo S TCU tune.

Along the same lines, I would like to secure a 955 Turbo S TCU. I believe the hardware is same between the 955 vs 957. However, the software would be different between the two.

Does anyone have a 955 Turbo S TCU to lend to the project?

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Funny you should mention this. I'm not sure what sub-model it's off but I just noticed one on the local Craigslist tonight. I sent an email and will follow up. Does it need to be from a Turbo S only? http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/4780327466.html

I'll let you know what I find out.

Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Update

Talked to Scott last week and since we have over 10 members vouching to support this initiative, he will give it a shot

Since my CTT is a daily driver, I had to secure another 957 TCU for Scott to work on without any downtime. Since there were no solid options, I had to buy new and opted for the 957 Turbo S TCU. According to the part numbers, there is a difference between the standard Turbo and Turbo S TCU. If I had to guess, it would be all software related and would pertain to quicker shifts from the factory.

All considering, I thought this would be a better base software map for Scott to base his revisions on. If this is correct, this means that all future 957 owners would get a revised Turbo S TCU tune.

Along the same lines, I would like to secure a 955 Turbo S TCU. I believe the hardware is same between the 955 vs 957. However, the software would be different between the two.

Does anyone have a 955 Turbo S TCU to lend to the project?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Funny you should mention this. I'm not sure what sub-model it's off but I just noticed one on the local Craigslist tonight. I sent an email and will follow up. Does it need to be from a Turbo S only? http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/4780327466.html

I'll let you know what I find out.

Nice find if it will work. I searched the part number, looks like that came from a Cayenne S. I wonder if the tuning/software is different from the S to the Turbo. I would imagine there is a difference, but maybe they are both able to be tuned/calibrated using the same methods?

Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Nice find if it will work. I searched the part number, looks like that came from a Cayenne S. I wonder if the tuning/software is different from the S to the Turbo. I would imagine there is a difference, but maybe they are both able to be tuned/calibrated using the same methods?
I didn't think of running the number but yeah, they answered back that it is from non-turbo S.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone have the part# of the 955 Turbo S TCU?

I have access to part#s 09D927750FG, 09D927750BL, and a 09D927750CB from Turbo Cayennes but I am not sure if they are from a Turbo or Turbo S?

Good find Kent, I had no idea the TCU software would be different between the 957 Turbo and Turbo S. I am curious to see what Scott finds different and if he can further modify the code.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think of running the number but yeah, they answered back that it is from non-turbo S.
So a Cayenne S, right? If so, this won't work for the Turbo guys and is not ideal for the NA guys.

Funny you should mention this. I'm not sure what sub-model it's off but I just noticed one on the local Craigslist tonight. I sent an email and will follow up. Does it need to be from a Turbo S only?
Turbo S is preferred for Turbo guys, but standard Turbo would work too. Now if any NA guys want to get in on the action, then we need to get a GTS TCU.

Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Definitely different since Porsche has different part numbers for the V8 turbos vs NA V8. Also, the transmissions are different part numbers on the Turbo vs NA due to beefier clutches and more rugged TC.

Originally Posted by dgreen78

I have access to part#s 09D927750FG, 09D927750BL, and a 09D927750CB from Turbo Cayennes but I am not sure if they are from a Turbo or Turbo S?
I should be able to dig this up. Problem is that these TCUs do not display the Porsche part number on the outside. Only the VAG VW part number, so it does not cross-reference well once outside the vehicle. We need to confirm that make/model Cayenne they are coming from for that reason.

Good find Kent, I had no idea the TCU software would be different between the 957 Turbo and Turbo S. I am curious to see what Scott finds different and if he can further modify the code.
Yep. Here is a screenshot of the replacement CTT/S transmission. It says to use either a CTT control unit (Part#955.618.122.04; superseded to 955.618.122.05) or CTTS control unit (Part#955.618.122.11; superseded to 955.618.122.12). Weird that there are two current valid TCU options for the 957. Time to upgrade!

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-04-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:50 AM

Just looked into this.. so interestingly enough, the 955 CTT/S (ID9L / IE8A) only seems to have one control unit/TCU for both the CTT and CTTS, unlike the 957.

The Porsche part number is 955.618.021.21

Unfortunately, the numbers you provided are the VAG part numbers and I have no good way of cross-referencing those through Porsche. Sigh. We would have to verify with the seller and possible get the VIN from the vehicle pulled from to be certain.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-04-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Hal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really niceHal 2000 is just really nice
I'm in if it can improve a 955 S.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Waitin4Dv is on a distinguished road
I'm in to still waiting for your other upgrade you were working on

Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 AM
mbagge01 is on a distinguished road
I am in for a 955 turbo

Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Waitin4Dv
I'm in to still waiting for your other upgrade you were working on
Trust me, it is coming.. expect a significant update and pics by end of January.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Update:

It took about 3 weeks to get my 957 Turbo S Transmission Control Unit in from Germany. Apparently, there wasn't a spare located anywhere in the US

Here it is:

Also, I had the initial coding done on the new control unit (notice the manufacture date of 2009 for 09/10 Turbo S):

Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Also, more importantly, I decided to drive on the Turbo S TCU for a few days to test it out; I wasn't expecting much or anything at all. Surprisingly, there is a NOTICEABLE difference in shifting in full auto and when using the Tiptronic buttons. This is all subjective and unsubstantiated, but I would estimate somewhere around a 20% improvement (do not hold me to this). This means that for 957 guys, just getting the stock Turbo S TCU is an upgrade. However, we will see how aggressive we can on the tuning here without harsh engagement.

I talked to Scott and I am going to send him my old 957 Turbo TCU first for him to figure out the hardware modification and get the base TCU tune. Then, I will send him my 957 Turbo S TCU for him to compare and contrast the two tunes, then modify it a little further for good measure. This is definitely getting exciting

The 957 Turbo TCU will go out this week and Scott can look at it as early as next week to begin the work.

From what I am seeing so far, there is a good chance a lot of this will trickle down to the 955 TCUs. Speaking of that, has anyone secured a 955 TCU (Turbo, Turbo S, or NA) for Scott to test on in parallel?

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-23-2014 at 07:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interested in faster shifting in your Cayenne? Show your support here...