Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Missfire After Low Fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
D3viL is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cayenne Missfire After Low Fuel

Yesterday I've been running low on gas and by the time I got to the gas station the car was already shaking and seemed to misfire. I filled it up and thought it will be fixed but the problem is still there. I'm thinking some dirt got into the fuel filter? Injectors?

Also is changing the fuel filter a DIY? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Hartdude is on a distinguished road
Assuming this is a V8, have the ignition coils ever been replaced? Also, is there a check engine light?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D3viL
Yesterday I've been running low on gas and by the time I got to the gas station the car was already shaking and seemed to misfire. I filled it up and thought it will be fixed but the problem is still there. I'm thinking some dirt got into the fuel filter? Injectors?

Also is changing the fuel filter a DIY? Thanks for the help.
Is the check engine light on? If it's misfiring it should be. Before throwing parts at it (aka - flailing) it might be worthwhile getting the codes read to see what's actually wrong. And it might be worth checking fuel pressure/flow at the injector rail.

Or you can just toss parts at it. The last part you replace will be the one causing the problem. Ones I can think of you might throw at it: fuel filter; fuel pumps; injectors; ignition coils, etc. Gets a bit costly that way.

As far as DIY - can't say unless we have some idea of how skilled you are. On a scale of 0=can destroy the earth with a screwdriver to 10=can rebuild a nuclear sub with the engine running - where do you rate yourself?

The fuel filter is located under the rear seat, drivers side. Seatbelt bracket has to come out, hole has to be cut in the carpeting, access plate must be removed, pump locking ring must be banged off (there is a tool for this - but most people use a big-***-screwdriver and a BFH). The the hoses come off, it's lifted out, you pass out from the gasoline vapors (your tank is now full right?), you disconnect various electrical stuff and about 6 more hoses. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Replace the pump gasket at the same time unless you like the smell of gasoline in your garage.

On the scale above - I'd rate this around a 5 for DIY. Easier then heart surgery, harder then taking care of a hangnail.

Good luck!

Last edited by deilenberger; 01-17-2012 at 09:46 AM.