Cayenne
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Type/Adding Frequency??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Only trust the independent tests, just FYI. Some companies don't tell you about the oil tests they did poorly on. Amsoil...cough..cough..

Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
The old Mobil 1 was great, but the EPA said that the added ZDTP, which protects for long life engine wear, is now no longer EPA approved saying it will hurt your cats. I have always used synthetics with ZDTP...Zinc/phosphorous. I have never had a cat go bad in any car. To keep the EPA starburst stamp, Mobile 1 had to take out the good stuff. Now the oil does not protect as well. However, They can write, "For off road use only" and keep the ZDTP such as what Royal Purple does and Mobil 1 High Mileage. I use Royal Purple 5-40 in my Cayenne Turbo and it is doing great in the super hot climate in Arizona. I use Mobil 1 High mileage in my collector cars that don't get driven as much because it has a longer life (oil will break down just sitting in a car) and seal conditioners. Cars that are not driven much can get brittle/cracked seals. I have read about 50 articles on oils and all the tests. How the oils performed, and these are the two that stood out in the tests. Amsoil did well in the tests too, but broke down faster with heat, and with age, faster than those others. Royal Purple seemed to be consistently the best in many test. When I tore down my 300ZX Twin Turbo engine, (Hold less than 4 quarts) I had nearly zero measurable wear and the machinist was pretty impressed asking me why I'm doing a rebuild.....To make the internals stronger for upgrades to come... Royal purple did its job. That engine gets HOT. 2 turbos and 4 quarts of oil. It stays fine. I have never had any issues using Royal Purple in any of my Porsches either. Tons of real tests and info out there if you have time to read it all.

Preach it. What, do you have stock in royal purple or something? You dug up a 4 year old thread to add your info. Just kidding, it seems to be good info and thanks for sharing. I've stuck with Mobil 1 but am always open to learning more.

I was going to a decent oil change place to do mine but the amount they want to charge is silly. I brought the filter because they don't stock it, I brought new crush washers. They still wanted something close to $150. I did my last one at home but realized they stripped out the head on the upper drain plug. Now I have to figure out how to get that out. Already have a new magnetic plug just have to get the old one out. Bastards.

Was it you that mentioned buying Royal purple in 5 gal jugs from Amazon? I haven't been able to find any either 0-40 or 5-40 in 5 gal jugs. Would be nice since it takes about or more than 2 gals for one change. 5 gallons should be enough to do two changes with some left over for topping up in between.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Preach it. What, do you have stock in royal purple or something? You dug up a 4 year old thread to add your info. Just kidding, it seems to be good info and thanks for sharing. I've stuck with Mobil 1 but am always open to learning more.

I was going to a decent oil change place to do mine but the amount they want to charge is silly. I brought the filter because they don't stock it, I brought new crush washers. They still wanted something close to $150. I did my last one at home but realized they stripped out the head on the upper drain plug. Now I have to figure out how to get that out. Already have a new magnetic plug just have to get the old one out. Bastards.

Was it you that mentioned buying Royal purple in 5 gal jugs from Amazon? I haven't been able to find any either 0-40 or 5-40 in 5 gal jugs. Would be nice since it takes about or more than 2 gals for one change. 5 gallons should be enough to do two changes with some left over for topping up in between.
I'm looking on Amazon right now and see 5w-40 in 5 gal. $142.32 and free shipping. I did write a very very long article on here about 8 years ago all about oil. With liks to ea. Independent test. It's been a long time though. That 5 gal of RP at the parts stores cost over $200, so it's a good deal. Ships in 2 days for free with prime. The oil code number is 05540. Look that up on Amazon 5-gal

Old 05-11-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm looking on Amazon right now and see 5w-40 in 5 gal. $142.32 and free shipping. I did write a very very long article on here about 8 years ago all about oil. With liks to ea. Independent test. It's been a long time though. That 5 gal of RP at the parts stores cost over $200, so it's a good deal. Ships in 2 days for free with prime. The oil code number is 05540. Look that up on Amazon 5-gal
By the way, Mobil 1 was awesome in the tests too, but the High Mielage version did best. It also lasts longer than Royal Purple. That's why I use that for my collector cars that only drive about 500-1000 miles/year. I'm not against Mobil 1. Good stuff.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I finally found it. For some reason it wasn't showing up last time I looked. I narrowed the search criteria to larger quantities and found it though after posting my last comment.

There are actually some even cheaper than that....
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Old 03-24-2023, 12:19 PM
asim62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Oil Type/Adding Frequency??

Find this guide very useful and helpful. Maybe you guys will find it helpful. Read Here