Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Type/Adding Frequency??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM
silvercayenneS is on a distinguished road
Engine Oil Type/Adding Frequency??

Hi Guys - new Cayenne owner here -- i am reading all the posts about engine oil consumption, and the need to add engine oil on a periodic basis... however, I can't find any information on the engine oil type other than the "0W 40" it states in the manual...

what engine oil do you use to top off... also how often do you find yourself needing to add oil?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
crowland will become famous soon enough
I go with Mobil 1 0-40 and keep an extra quart on hand in my rear storage compartment next to the subwoofer. I think you'll get varying responses on frequency. I check my oil when I fill up, which is every couple of weeks. My personal experience is a quart every 1000-1500 miles. I have a turbo- which uses more than the Non-turbos.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 AM
crowland - thanks for the reply. That is a great idea on storage location. However, that seems like a ton of oil to be adding. I am really surprised that these cars eat 5-10 quarts of oil between oil changes. I guess I am picking up a case of Mobile 1 today!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Unless you do your own oil changes, you may want to wait to see how much your beast consumes - they're not all big oil eaters. My GTS doesn't seem to consume much at all. It's not a matter of time but more a matter of actual consumption...

Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on your new Cayenne!!!

I use Eneos 5w-30 pure synthetic at this time. I try to change it every 5k miles but this last time I went to about 6500 miles. I put a ~quart of oil in every 1200 miles I'd say. So make sure you watch the oil levels. I may try Brad Penn oil next go around.

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 02-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 AM
CKKrause is on a distinguished road
Odd man out.... My CSH '12 now has 2500 miles and, if the gauge can be believed, 0 oil usage...

On the other hand, the low speed braking is very jerky with the regen function...

-CKKrause

Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm going to use Mobile 1 0-w40.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 AM
ez1973 will become famous soon enoughez1973 will become famous soon enough
I have a 2004 CTT and use the recommended Mobil 1 0w40. So far I have had to top it off with 1 qt every 3-4k miles. Not too bad...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
What other oils are people using on their Cayennes?? I'm very curious. Most people have their favorites. I've used Eneos 5w-30 and it seems to offer great life and even added gas mileage. Amsoil is on my list to try as well as Bradd Penn. I've always read negative things about Mobile 1, so I try to avoid that brand. Any comments or experiences? This might have been talked to at length in another thread given the length of time the cayenne has been around as well as the forums. But oil technology is changing so quickly that once was a good oil two years ago is now considered obsolete..

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 02-21-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I am using Mobil 1, 5w-40 diesel truck formula, full synthetic. @ 108k miles and using about a quart every 2500 miles. I drive really hard and change the oil every 10k. Nothing has changed since I got the pig @ 67k miles. $24.00 for 4 qts at Wally world.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I am using Mobil 1, 5w-40 diesel truck formula, full synthetic. @ 108k miles and using about a quart every 2500 miles. I drive really hard and change the oil every 10k. Nothing has changed since I got the pig @ 67k miles. $24.00 for 4 qts at Wally world.
I also have been reading that the Rotella Full Synthetic is good stuff and am considering it for the next oil change. I used it on my cummins diesel and it's cheap.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
dajadeturtle is on a distinguished road
I have been using the Rotella 5W40 since I ran out of warranty.... Prior to that 0w40 Mobil 1, truth no difference in performance, mpg or need to add oil. Once mrs cee appeared broken in she stopped drinking that additional quart. I have changed oil a little more frequently than most anywheres from 5k to 7k and with the Mobil 1 it added up quite quickly... For the price of six quarts of mobil 1 i get 2 jugs of Rottella, and a Mahle filter not sure of the spelling.

PS last oil change Mobil 1 jugs where on sale and strange enough I found 5W40 so for new years the baby was spoiled.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm going to try the Rotella 5w-40 the next go around. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
mikijoe1 is on a distinguished road
I have a V8 4.8 and I add 0W40 sometimes, but not often

Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
What other oils are people using on their Cayennes?? I'm very curious. Most people have their favorites. I've used Eneos 5w-30 and it seems to offer great life and even added gas mileage. Amsoil is on my list to try as well as Bradd Penn. I've always read negative things about Mobile 1, so I try to avoid that brand. Any comments or experiences? This might have been talked to at length in another thread given the length of time the cayenne has been around as well as the forums. But oil technology is changing so quickly that once was a good oil two years ago is now considered obsolete..
The old Mobil 1 was great, but the EPA said that the added ZDTP, which protects for long life engine wear, is now no longer EPA approved saying it will hurt your cats. I have always used synthetics with ZDTP...Zinc/phosphorous. I have never had a cat go bad in any car. To keep the EPA starburst stamp, Mobile 1 had to take out the good stuff. Now the oil does not protect as well. However, They can write, "For off road use only" and keep the ZDTP such as what Royal Purple does and Mobil 1 High Mileage. I use Royal Purple 5-40 in my Cayenne Turbo and it is doing great in the super hot climate in Arizona. I use Mobil 1 High mileage in my collector cars that don't get driven as much because it has a longer life (oil will break down just sitting in a car) and seal conditioners. Cars that are not driven much can get brittle/cracked seals. I have read about 50 articles on oils and all the tests. How the oils performed, and these are the two that stood out in the tests. Amsoil did well in the tests too, but broke down faster with heat, and with age, faster than those others. Royal Purple seemed to be consistently the best in many test. When I tore down my 300ZX Twin Turbo engine, (Hold less than 4 quarts) I had nearly zero measurable wear and the machinist was pretty impressed asking me why I'm doing a rebuild.....To make the internals stronger for upgrades to come... Royal purple did its job. That engine gets HOT. 2 turbos and 4 quarts of oil. It stays fine. I have never had any issues using Royal Purple in any of my Porsches either. Tons of real tests and info out there if you have time to read it all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Type/Adding Frequency??