Cayenne or cayenne s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Shawnliew88 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne or cayenne s?

Hi all!

I'm down to two cayenne that I m looking at, both are 2005, the cayenne is 175k km v6 with black exterior and interior. The other cayenne S is 198k km with midnight blue exterior and tan interior. I've a couple of Porsche now but never driven or sat in a cayenne before. How much difference on highway driving in performance wise? If I get the V6 will I regret it?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 PM
CaptPegLeg is infamous around these parts
I have had my 05 C and 06 S since new. My wife drives the S. In handling, there's very little difference. Of course there's a difference in acceleration but not so much that you can't overcome when you anticipate the need for that extra power for passing or merging. That extra power is of course wasted on my wife who like most women merge with the brake as opposed to men who merge with the gas. I only have a hitch on the S and although I've seen a C towing a track car, it was a leased car and the operator didn't really care if was too much load or not. I would never try towing anything substantial with the C but the S is a different story.
I have a featherlight open trailer that I've used with my 996 T cab. It's a dream to tow with the S. Trying to keep up with garbage trucks on I-95 is easy. You can go a lot faster than is reasonable or safe without feeling on the edge.
The only other thing to consider is them interior trim level. I would strongly recommend the value of the upgraded trim on the S.
I really enjoy both vehicles and if was in the market I would not hesitate on the C especially if it had upgraded interior. Hope all this helps.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM
MasterBaker is infamous around these parts
Out of the two cars you're describing, I'd go for the S over the base, assuming similar price. I don't think you'd buy the S and ever say to yourself "Gee, I wish I had a little less power". Maybe at the fuel pump, but that's about it.

Actually the main reason I would go for the S is the midnight on tan combo. One of my favorites. Are these cars in Edmonton? I did a quick auto trader search and saw nothing... I'm in Calgary, and just bought my Cayenne Turbo S from EEC down on 60th Ave at Gateway Blvd. Overall was very happy with the experience, and if there's something in particular you're looking for and unable to find I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they can find one for you on the wholesale market.

Either way, good luck!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MasterBaker
Out of the two cars you're describing, I'd go for the S over the base, assuming similar price. I don't think you'd buy the S and ever say to yourself "Gee, I wish I had a little less power". Maybe at the fuel pump, but that's about it.

Actually the main reason I would go for the S is the midnight on tan combo. One of my favorites. Are these cars in Edmonton? I did a quick auto trader search and saw nothing... I'm in Calgary, and just bought my Cayenne Turbo S from EEC down on 60th Ave at Gateway Blvd. Overall was very happy with the experience, and if there's something in particular you're looking for and unable to find I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they can find one for you on the wholesale market.

Either way, good luck!
Oh so you bought the black one across my dads shop! At Mercedes rite? The v6 black is in Edmonton but the midnight/tan is in calgary on kijiji, I kinda like the tan/midnight combo because its the same color as my boxster ! It's so hard to find a first gen turbo in black black combo in this area man

Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg
I have had my 05 C and 06 S since new. My wife drives the S. In handling, there's very little difference. Of course there's a difference in acceleration but not so much that you can't overcome when you anticipate the need for that extra power for passing or merging. That extra power is of course wasted on my wife who like most women merge with the brake as opposed to men who merge with the gas. I only have a hitch on the S and although I've seen a C towing a track car, it was a leased car and the operator didn't really care if was too much load or not. I would never try towing anything substantial with the C but the S is a different story.
I have a featherlight open trailer that I've used with my 996 T cab. It's a dream to tow with the S. Trying to keep up with garbage trucks on I-95 is easy. You can go a lot faster than is reasonable or safe without feeling on the edge.
The only other thing to consider is them interior trim level. I would strongly recommend the value of the upgraded trim on the S.
I really enjoy both vehicles and if was in the market I would not hesitate on the C especially if it had upgraded interior. Hope all this helps.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! U guys are really helpful on this!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Shawnliew88
Oh so you bought the black one across my dads shop! At Mercedes rite? The v6 black is in Edmonton but the midnight/tan is in calgary on kijiji, I kinda like the tan/midnight combo because its the same color as my boxster ! It's so hard to find a first gen turbo in black black combo in this area man
No, not from Mercedes, from EEC Motors. Is there a budget you wanted to stay under? I'm guessing with the higher mileage examples you mentioned that you have a pretty specific number in mind.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:16 AM
No, not from Mercedes, from EEC Motors. Is there a budget you wanted to stay under? I'm guessing with the higher mileage examples you mentioned that you have a pretty specific number in mind.
Yea trying to keep it below 20k for now because of other priorities in life as well. I was looking again today and the midnight blue/tan is off, but there's still a few available but not with the same color combo anymore. Mileage wise I think anything below 200k is ideally ok for a daily driver

Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/C...howcpo=ShowCPO

Might be worth a phone call.
If the blue/tan one is the one I was thinking of you wouldn't want it anyways. I test drove it and it was in REALLY bad shape. Cigarette burns, broken tail light, etc.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/C...howcpo=ShowCPO

Might be worth a phone call.
If the blue/tan one is the one I was thinking of you wouldn't want it anyways. I test drove it and it was in REALLY bad shape. Cigarette burns, broken tail light, etc.
The one in Calgary u mean ? With 20 inch wheels ?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
With two older vehicles like that, I would go with one that has had the requisite repairs made (coolant tubes, drive shaft). If neither have, I would stay away from both. If both have, pick the one you like the best. No one here can help with that decision. With the Tiptronic both vehicles will be fine unless you are in the mountains, like I am half the time, and need more power. If so, get the S. If not, get the one you prefer. Physical condition, maintenance records.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM
kchan9 is infamous around these parts
I was in the same dilemma and I ended up going for the S. The normal Cayenne imo is too underpower and the S gives you the extra power and fun at the same time.