New rotor at 29k miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
landshark is on a distinguished road
New rotor at 29k miles?

Just had the trunk in for service, and the dealer told me I'll need new front pads AND rotor. They said pads are at <3mm thickness. Car has 29k miles on it, brakes fine and no vibration under braking. Do I really need new rotor too?? Or they are just trying to rob me??

BTW, they quoted me $1.7k for the front brake job (parts & labor)!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Saggio is on a distinguished road
Yep, could be right. Mine where gone at 25K!

Do it yourself, WAY cheaper.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Saggio
Yep, could be right. Mine where gone at 25K!

Do it yourself, WAY cheaper.
Thanks for the reply.

Now, next question, is Suncoast the best place to get the parts? I'm planning to get the parts and have someone else install instead of the stealer. Unless it's pretty simple to swap them.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
the rotors have a spec. ask them what the current thickness is vs. the spec. and I bet they didn't already tell you this because the rotors are fine.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
We sell a OE brake service kit and also a performance kit for your Turbo that includes everything you need. For more information Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Does anyone know the specs for front brake rotors on the turbo S with the 380mm rotors? I have my rig up on jack stands now as my wheels are being refinished and want to throw my caliper on the rotor! If my pads are close to gone I might throw a set in! :-)

Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !theblue Is a GOD !
it should be marked on the rotor somewhere

Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
My stock CTT ones lasted 105k....and I tow with it!!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Porsche dealers will always change rotor and pads together. This is a huge wate of money and resource. Get a new set of pagid, textar pads on amazon and have a shop do it. It should cost you no more than $400-450.

As a general rule, rotors should last two pad changes unless they are warped or cracked. You can also see an edge on the outer rotor, which tells u how much is worn

Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
The rotor should have a minimum thickness specification stamped on the rotor. If its thick enough to pass after a resurface, then its fine. But from my understanding all European manufacturers recommend replacing rotors on every brake pad change. There's no perceivable difference if you have a rotor resurfaced within spec or getting a new rotor.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
skip the rotor, do the pads, i ditched the ultra dusty oems for some ebc reds
and never looked back, clean and white grease the pin and clean spring clips,
100 dollar dirty job.
real car guys work on their cars.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cuemaster
skip the rotor, do the pads, i ditched the ultra dusty oems for some ebc reds
and never looked back, clean and white grease the pin and clean spring clips,
100 dollar dirty job.
real car guys work on their cars.

the 958 calipers are different, its not the usual 2 pin/clip deal that you can change the pads by just knocking the pins out like on the older brembo calipers. the 958 uses a new style monoblock caliper that needs to have the caliper completely removed to get the pads out, and they snap into place from the bottom once the caliper is removed. taking the rotor off the 958's will prob require you 1-2 min more of your time.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
as a general rule, rotors should last two pad changes unless they are warped or cracked. You can also see an edge on the outer rotor, which tells u how much is worn
+1...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Now, my next question, should I just get the factory pads or would you guys recommended for something else (for street and year round)?