Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird whining sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Loving-it-22 is on a distinguished road
Weird whining sound

Ok, so my 08 ctt was shipped to me today. First thing I noticed was a strange sound that comes from the drivers side of the engine at low rpm. Makes the sound all the time, doesn't matter if it's in neutral or driving. Sounds a bit like a whirring, whining sound. Definitely engine related as it matches rpm upon rev and decel. It's pretty audible as when sitting in park and revving it is the only thing I can hear. Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first cayenne but I can't imagine it being normal. I know I will have to take it to a dealer if I can't figure out what it is but I am rather mechanically inclined and have always been a dyi guy. I have even stuffed an ls and a turbo in my old fox body mustang in my garage. Lol... Any ideas? Could it be the bearing on the turbo on that side?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Interestingly, I just saw a diagram of the high pressure fuel pump being near the area that the sound seems to be coming from. Since it is driven by the camshaft on that side, could the sound be the pump going bad? I know I have a recall on it and plan to get it replaced anyway. Would be great if that turned out to be the issue (though I am skeptical as my luck is never that good with cars). Has anybody with a faulty hpfp noticed a whining sound prior replacement?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
I don't remember hearing any whining from bad high-pressure fuel pumps, but it's certainly possible. Do you have PDCC? The tandem pump for PDCC & power steering makes a whining noise, and this is normal.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM
CALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really nice
Sound

I have similar noise and also thought it could be the turbo but would also hope its the recall part.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure this is not turbo spool while revving?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
CALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really nice
Spool

I also thought about that.. not having to have driven another TT so had nothing to compare too. Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
No, it's not the turbo spooling. It does sound like an old Ford power steering pump when you turn the wheel at a stop. Only the sound is related directly to engine rpm. I think the previous post was correct about the pdcc pump. The only other cayenne I drove didn't have pdcc so I wasn't expecting the sound. Man, that thing is rather noisy. Lol. I'm going to check the fluid and make sure it isn't low. It would make sense being a normal noise as the ppi never mentioned it. Thanks for the help guys. This is a great site!

Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Hmmmmm. Mine has a noise from the left side as well but it doesnt' have PDCC. My steering is starting to make funny noises too. How hard are the pump and rack to change out? I'm thinking the pump will be the harder of the two.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry for the question ..whats PDCC?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:34 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CALMOTION
Sorry for the question ..whats PDCC?
I didn't know what it was until recently either... http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...-control-pdcc/

I don't think it was available until the 957 though.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 PM
While I do love the handling with pdcc, the noise is annoying, but like most things, you become accustomed to it. I've read that some pumps are noisy and some aren't. Porsche claims it's normal.... On an unrelated note, this afternoon I turned PCM off and played through a few twisties on my way to pick my daughter up from school. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Lol. It really is crazy to think this thing is an SUV and capable of towing 7700 lbs to boot. Thing drives like a sports car

Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I found out what my noise was. It seemed like it kept getting louder. I changed the differential fluids out yesterday and it is nice and quiet now!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't think mine is the diff as it makes the noise in park, neutral, and drive. Non of which seem to have an effect on the level of sound. Did yours whine in park too? According to service records, the diff fluid was changed about 15k miles ago. But I would change again for sure if I thought it would have an effect on the noise. Glad you figured yours out either way though

Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Loving-it-22
I don't think mine is the diff as it makes the noise in park, neutral, and drive. Non of which seem to have an effect on the level of sound. Did yours whine in park too? According to service records, the diff fluid was changed about 15k miles ago. But I would change again for sure if I thought it would have an effect on the noise. Glad you figured yours out either way though
No not really. Mine was when I was moving.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks

Mine could be diff..too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird whining sound