Sponsored by:

To keep or not to keep- 2013 Cayenne diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:17 PM
nkta is on a distinguished road
To keep or not to keep- 2013 Cayenne diesel

Hello,
I want to solicit your collective opinion on my situation. We have leased a 2013 Cayenne diesel since 2014 and now the lease is up. The payoff is $40k. Should we keep the car or not. I like the car, and it’s been well taken care of, and it’s been a nice realizable car. but the diesel issue is the major uncertainty. My service advisor, a very reliable and knowledgeable chap, said that the fix will likely deal with fuel-air moisture and that th3 mileage may go down a little bit. How is the VW Diesel engine itself perform in the long run? Reliable? And whether the potential fix along with the cash from VW will make it worthwhile to keep it? Thank you.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I am with all of you and plan to keep mine forever, maybe one of my two daughter will have a son so that I can pass my Vantage to him when I leave but not before that... Happy motoring until then

Old 08-24-2019, 04:31 PM
93RSAmerica is on a distinguished road
We have not gotten the diesel fix - no intentions to get it. We have no intention of selling ours.
We have 95,000 miles principally off-road and endurance rally. No issues in fact we have again entered an endurance rally starting in February. 5,000 mile route goes from Washington state thru BC, Alberta, NW Territories up to Tuktoyaktuk, thru the Yukon, up to Coldfoot, AK ending at the start of the Iditarod in Anchorage.
The pittance you get as an 'incentive' to get the fix is not worth the loss of performance.
Most we have gotten on a tank is 765 miles, plenty of low range torque, very worthy off-road.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:10 AM
retrofit187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 93RSAmerica
We have not gotten the diesel fix - no intentions to get it. We have no intention of selling ours..
Hi, I actually came across your post because I was looking to see what people had done for rock sliders. I will say, considering the compensation is quite substantial (not sure if the deadline is up or not yet)
You could certainly have the "repair" performed, take the restitution and get a Malone Tune to put it back- or to higher performance than it was before - just a thought.

(I was the first "post-fix" diesel cayenne to be tuned by Malone)

Old 10-13-2019, 05:02 PM
93RSAmerica is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by retrofit187
Hi, I actually came across your post because I was looking to see what people had done for rock sliders. I will say, considering the compensation is quite substantial (not sure if the deadline is up or not yet) You could certainly have the "repair" performed, take the restitution and get a Malone Tune to put it back- or to higher performance than it was before - just a thought. (I was the first "post-fix" diesel cayenne to be tuned by Malone)
-
"the compensation is quite substantial" ??? Do not agree with you on this point
the loss of performance is quite substantial
-
While a Malone engine tune may help - I have not seen anything from them, Cobb, or anyone else that addresses all the ECUs to get the transmission to play nice with the engine tune. We primarily drive off pavement to remote locations where low end torque is critical. Have no interest in increasing top end speed, that is what we have our RSA for.
-
As to our rock sliders - they have worked well for us particularly in technical situations.
To see our build and some of what we do (not current or complete as we are having too much fun) see:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html