Sponsored by:

Torquing passenger side bolt for Cat Bypass pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
Torquing passenger side bolt for Cat Bypass pipes

Hey All,

I have done plenty of research on here and though everybody mentions how big of a PITA that passenger side bolt/nut is, nobody ever explains just "how" they did it... well hopefully y'all can use this when you decide to install cat bypass pipes!

Basically all you need is 3/8 ratchet (1/2 was too big), elbow joint & a 10" extension.
There's two heat shields that lead towards the front of the vehicle, towards the LCA.
Put 10" extension through that opening, without the ratchet attached.
Once it's laying still, use both hands around the pipe to attach the socket around the nut.
Come towards the outside of the vehicle, facing the LCA - you should see the extension come out right above the LCA against the frame.
Attach the ratchet to the extension, use your left hand to ensure the socket doesn't slip.
Use the LCA frame as leverage, and torque that sucker off!

This is the simplest and straightest route to the bolt/nut, allowing you to apply more force when torquing it loose.

I've installed these cat bypasses on my previous 955 Turbo and now my 958 Turbo. On the 955 install I tried literally EVERYTHING trying to get that bolt off! Had I known about this, I could've done the job in less than 1/2 the time.

For this job, if it wasn't for some extremely rusted/stripped bolts on my exhaust sleeves, I could've done this job in 30-45 mins with this trick on the passenger side bolt/nut.

Hopefully this saves some of you time down the road!

Cheers,
Shane

Last edited by Sjt0017; 01-11-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to revive.... but the easiest way to remove flange bolts is to drop the transfer case crossmember(6 bolts), remove the rear secondary cats sleeve coupler and the entire cat drops vertically, dangling off the flex pipes. Install is simply reverse of removal..