Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

What is the difference between all the Zymols?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FrankM
I applied by hand, I would take a bead about the size of a pea, maybe just a little larger and I would get about a door of the Pepper, I think it took about 2 of these amounts to get the hood. Does this sound about right? The 3 vehicles I waxed were all suv's.

My X5 sits out every day from 6A to 7P and a round trip to work is 100 miles, lately the roads have a lot of salt and sinters on them, the car is a mess by wash day. Like I said earlier it still beads/cleans up as well as the day I waxed it almost 3 months ago and have not used any glaze.
Frank, you're doing the right technique. You only need a pea-sized amount to do a panel the size of a cayenne door or half a hood. So, is it safe to say you're using concours on all three cars? Because if you're using the amount you are on the cayenne, you should have barely made a dent in the 8oz jar.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Field glaze, is a liquid Carnuba, so yea, you can extend it quite a while. But MY experience is the Sun & being outside drastically cuts down the life of a pure Carnuba. But being inside it will last quite some time. So I can see a garage queen lasting 4-6mo.

Moe, up here in the NW, it just doesn't last, even with many layers. I would wax the M3 with Vintage once every 2 weeks in the summer, any rain storm, & the lowers would not bead, & looked duller then the rest of the car.

I to, was trained by Chuck, & passed on being the NW Zymol Factory detailer, & also have prepped cars for Pebble Beach. I do have quite a few local & a couple national concours wins under my belt.
First off, my hat's off to you stealth. I never knew the extent of your background. You're probably like me; I always feel weird talking about myself and my credentials. I feel my work should be my resume and should do the talking Now back to business...My truck has always had Vintage on it. I do this not because I want one of the most expensive waxes in the world on my truck, but because of how long it lasts. As you know, being a detailer sometimes means your daily drive that you use for work is that last to get some tlc; at least it is for me. Sometimes, I go a few months without washing But even through some rain and the heat out here in the summer, I have been able to get 8 months out of vintage with this kind of abuse. My truck can't fit in my garage, it's a Dodge Ram Hemi. So, there are times I just wash it with zymol clear and rinse it with the cr spotless, and leave out to dry. But as you mentioned, I'm not familiar with the weather out there on the east can't vouch for zymol's level of protection with my own eyes under those conditions. But I've been told by clients and from zymol techs form the factory that waxes from Concours up can easily get three months of life out there. The only reason why you may get a considerably shorter life would be because the wax did not cure properly or the paint wasn't prepped well enogh with HD to have the wax bond with it. But seeing how you're also trained by Chuck Bennet, I would imagine you know what you're doing. I've always found Vintage to be consistent in results; so it may also be that you got a bad batch, who knows.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by lager99
I'd give him some credit...
Someone's been on Glistening Perfection's website It's been a privilege and a lot of fun to be doing what I do. I can't imagine doling anything else. It's taken 13 years to finally have the market catch up to my business model, but it was worth the wait. I think the more you learn and improve your skills, the greater the rewards. It's cool to be able to work daily on the cars I dreamed of years ago. I know I've said this before, but thanks again for all your support guys; both clients and fellow colleagues.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=MoeMistry;1591716I've always found Vintage to be consistent in results; so it may also be that you got a bad batch, who knows.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Moe, I got a few funny pics of Chuck working on my old M3.

Anyway, I have used everything they produce, sans Royal. None of them seam to last in the NW on a car kept out side & driven regularly. It might be something with our temps & humidity, but it just does not last. What I found lasts the longest was Titanium, & that is really only about 4-6 weeks. Yes, the top will still bead, it's the sides & lowers that get a beating.

I still think some of the products are the "best" they just no longer do what I need them to do in my time frame & cost. I still think clear is the best car wash out there!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
MoeMistry, Is Field Glaze sort of Polish? I think I remember using that on my car before.

Stealth 993, I agree with you on the Field Glaze, I used to apply them when paint was blue and it lasted about the same amount you estimated. My car always in the garage from daily driving and back into garage. The only time it's outside, is to school, out, or friends house.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
MoeMistry,

Congrats on your write up in Zymol...sounds like you deserve it...

question about new car prep.

I have used Concourse, HD, Glaze, clear for years and love them...

What are your recommendations on new cars right out of the box? Would you suggest using HD cleanse on them? Does the new paint need the paint prep? then follow up withe Concourse?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
orlando333 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Field Glaze is used to maintain and prolong the concours application. The jetness or colour and depth is the result of concours and hd cleanse. Field Glaze assures the results are not compromised. It's an added level of protection that becomes the sacrificial layer instead of concours. As you know, washing is the best thing you can do to protect the paint and prolong the wax application. Concours will easily protect, as noticed by the beading, for up to 6 months if garaged and well cared for. It's the depth and clarity that deminishes around the 3rd to 4th month. But considering most waxes don't last more than a few washes, that's saying something.
I concur with Moe; the wax's life is about 3 months. The Concours is the bomb; with a DI wash and air dry, you car should be one shiny piece of machinery.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by GCB
MoeMistry,

Congrats on your write up in Zymol...sounds like you deserve it...

question about new car prep.

I have used Concourse, HD, Glaze, clear for years and love them...

What are your recommendations on new cars right out of the box? Would you suggest using HD cleanse on them? Does the new paint need the paint prep? then follow up withe Concourse?

Thanks
Thank you for the kind words. A new car should go through the Trinity as I call it; Klay, Polish, and Wax. So do what you already have been. Klay the paint and make sure all the contaminants are removed. Polish with HD and wax with concours.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
GCB
Thank you for the kind words. A new car should go through the Trinity as I call it; Klay, Polish, and Wax. So do what you already have been. Klay the paint and make sure all the contaminants are removed. Polish with HD and wax with concours.
Thanks MoeMistry...

Can you please tell me a little more detail about what you mean.... I am only familiar with HD and then waxing...

I am hearing more and more about Klay'ing the paint? I thought HD removes removes the contaminants and prepares the paint for wax. Can you please describe what is meant by Klay and is this a Zymol product?

I have an '08 Boxster S coming in next month (Meteor Gray) and want to detail it properly after I receive it.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Premium Sponsor
Clay is a product that's been around for over a decade and many manufacturers have their own version; but only one company actually makes clay. Claying removes the "embedded" contaminants that you feel when rubbing your hand on the paint. HD-Cleanse is polish that removes some contaminants but it's primary role is to clean and condition the paint and re-introduce the essential oils the paint needs. Zymol makes Lehm Klay, their version of a clay. Clay basically acts as a very fine abrasive, it's basically quartz crystals embedded in pplastic, to physically remove contaminants in the paint. It's a very crucial step in attaining a perfect finish to the touch. After claying, HD and wax as you normally would. Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
GCB
Thank you so much for your quick reply...

so...even on the new car paint....the klay (with light abrasive material) is safe? I read on a earlier thread of yours about how to apply clay/Klay?? :~)

you said to use a lubricant that goes with it? (I assume I can find this on the Zymol website)

and then rub up and down....then left and right??? seems a little scary...that I might scratch the paint? I'm sure it wont if, but scary anyways... so then the HD ....and then the concourse... especially since all the directions on the HD and Wax always state to rub in one direction only.. just no circles... although I guess your not saying to do circle with the clay too...

wow...seems like I've always been missing the Klay part on my current porsche... Its always looked awsome without it...I can only imagine how it would have looked if I did it correctly with the clay first.

Can you tell me exactly which products to purchase from Zymol... clay, lubricant?, etc...

Thank you again so much for your help and guidance

Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by GCB

so...even on the new car paint....the klay (with light abrasive material) is safe? I read on a earlier thread of yours about how to apply clay/Klay?? :~)

you said to use a lubricant that goes with it? (I assume I can find this on the Zymol website)

and then rub up and down....then left and right??? seems a little scary...that I might scratch the paint? I'm sure it wont if, but scary anyways... so then the HD ....and then the concourse... especially since all the directions on the HD and Wax always state to rub in one direction only.. just no circles... although I guess your not saying to do circle with the clay too...

wow...seems like I've always been missing the Klay part on my current porsche... Its always looked awsome without it...I can only imagine how it would have looked if I did it correctly with the clay first.

Can you tell me exactly which products to purchase from Zymol... clay, lubricant?, etc...

Klaying will not really change the way the car "looks" but how it "feels". I call it the Trinity, Klay, Polish, Wax. Simple and VERY effective combonation no matter who's product line you use. I sent you a PM and you can get all the prodcuts from me; just call me since the new site w/ ecommerce isn't live yet.

Also, I'll have a New-Car Prep thread up soon on a recent GT3 done for a fellow 6speeder chardonet. Stay tuned

Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by GCB

So here's the clay after just rubbing the wing on a NEW GT3. Even a new car needs TLC. The containers that these cars travel in are most often open to the elements. So weeks of being in the salt air, rail dust, etc. takes a toll on the paint.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
hipvspec is on a distinguished road
The difference between all the waxes are the concentration of carnauba and the quality of the carnauba. White carnauba is the rarest and most desired because of its quality and durability. White carnauba from zymol is harvested from the newest frawns of the tree. The reason it's so rare and expensive is because if you cut too many of the frawns off, you kill the tree. Therefor, only a select amount of the new frawns can be cut. Yellow carnauba is yellow because it has aged and has more impurities than the white carnauba. As far as concentration goes, the higher the % of carnauba, the more protection. Most waxes on the market will only have 3-8% carnauba by volume; the rest is fillers and other ingredients. As far as I know, zymol is making the highest concentrated line of waxes in the world. Their line ranges from 12%-79%. Bottom line, I would not go below the Estate Glaze Line. It starts from Titanium and goes to Royale. The wax of choice for the DIY is Concours. It's around $175 per 8oz jar. Each 8oz container of zymol is good for life if kept in a cool and dark place and will yield 50 application. The higher quality the wax, the less often you need to apply. Concours can be applied 2-3 times per year depending on care of the vehicle. So basically, your $175 investment yields you 16-25 years of wax. The high end waxes are applied by hand because the warmth of your hands melts the raw white carnauba in the wax. Another benefit of waxing with your bare hands is that you can feel the paint and make sure you've done an excellent job of prepping. By the way, it's probably one of the coolest ways to bond with your car. It sounds kindda weird, but I really enjoy massaging the wax into the paint. It becomes a more personal and caring way to treat your car. Think about it. The higher-end and exotic the car, the more passion has gone into making it. You're now carrying the torch and should treat the car with the same respect as the designers, engineers, and others did making it. I hope this helps answer your questions.

you are Car Crazy, you know that

Old 01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned
duc749r is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to high jack the thread, but does Zymol ( or another product) make a plastic polish or buffer? I got some small scratches on some interior plastic of my car and I want to try to remove or at least make them less visible. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between all the Zymols?