Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

waxing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:10 AM
dlm477 is infamous around these parts
waxing

I took my car to the hand car wash and had it waxed. It took a guy 15 minutes to wax the whole car and I was wondering how to do it and what products to use. All the guy did was apply the wax and wipe it off with a towel. Is this the right way to wax a car. My car is silver so it does not need to be buffed or polished. Any help would be appreciated. Dan.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is on a distinguished road
OMG, I don't think you went to the correct detailer. It took my detailer 9hours to finish my car. 15 minutes is kinda odd. I do not think he used a good waxing product either....

Old 06-17-2004, 11:49 AM
No, this is a very expensive detail shop, top of the line. The full detail does take about 8 hours. My silver car just needed a quick wax. They just applied the wax and wiped it off with a towl. I think that is typical for just a wax.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM
they used meguiars stuff i think

Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 PM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
dlm477:

You did in fact get your car waxed, but it was not properly prepped before doing so. There are a variety of options that can be pursued in terms of how to properly wax a car depending on the conditions of the car's paint. Usually, you should always try to strip as much contaminents off of the paint as possible. Here is a gernal guideline to a proper wax, but somethings may not be needed or another option might be better. Try to visit www.autopia.org to learn more in depth details abotu how to wax a car. Anyways, here is a list...

- wash vehicle (2 bucket method)
- clay (when wet along with lube- saves time)
- dry
- use a good precleanser or stripping agent to get paint down to flat bare surface
- apply wax of choice (buffing off every panel)
- wax wheels
- apply tire dressings and other items wanted

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:39 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I wax my car every month, doesn't take me more then half an hour to wash and wax and wipe off.

If the car is well taken care of and the paint is in good shape, there is really no need to clay it or even get down to the bare surface. I don't really agree w/ people using thigns like dawn wash, etc. You should be moving forward not backwards. A good polish will take care of that.

But as I said, if the car is in pretty good shape, there isn't really a need to clay. Adding a coat of wax is perfectly fine.

Silver is a funny color and pretty hard to make look better.

As long as the guy didn't charge you an absurd amount I think you did good.

And yes, check out autopia, it's an awesome site. I'm on there under HotRodGuy. Be carefull though, a lot of those guys are super **** and do things far and beyond most really need They'll get you spending money quick.