Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

1989 Porsche 930 Slant Nose Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned
BrianBrice is on a distinguished road
1989 Porsche 930 Slant Nose Turbo

The 1989 Porsche 930 Slant Nose Turbo is, IMO, the epitome of air cooled turbo Porsches. It is just a cool car, and my client desired perfection! This particular car is fully loaded and stickered at over 100k in 1989!!!
Outline:
-Wash with Zaino Z7
-Clay with Sonus Grey clay using OPT ONR (cut) as lube
-Paint Correction featured a combination of 3M Extra Cut 3000, Meg’s #83, OPT OP, and Menzerna SIP and FPII on various Lake Country pads (7.5 inch and 4 inch) in Full Wool, Purple Wool, Orange CCS, White CCS, and Blue CCS cuts
-3 Coats of Zaino (Z5pro x2 ZFX’ed) and CS. Z8 final wipe down
-Tires cleaned with Meg’s APC and dressed with Zaino Z16
-Rims cleaned with P21s wheel cleaner. Metal Lip polished with Deep Finish Deep Alum, protected by JW Acrylic Jet
-Wheel Wells cleaned with Meg’s APC and Surf City Garage Road Grime Spray and dressed with OPT Tire protestant
Interior:
Carpets removed, vacuumed
-Spot removal with Folex
-Shampooed with Stoners Carpet Cleaner
-Protected with 303 Fabric Guard
Leather
-Conditioned with Leatherqiue Rejuvenator
-Cleaned with Leatherquie Pristine Clean
-Dash protected with OPT Leather Conditioner and Protectant
All plastic trim was cleaned with mild soap and treated with 303 Aerospace Protactent

While outlines are great, the product list doesn't do justice other than a reference. Brian spent over 6 hours on the interior, working areas over and bringing each square inch to perfection. I'm sure many more products where used that I failed to mention, maybe he will pop in and share some secrets.

Regarding the paint polishing, I am at a point where I am no longer satisfied with less than 99 percent (or taking an existing finish to 100 percent of its potential). Luckily, no scratches required wet sanding, but ever square inch of the vehicle was polished with as many as seven-eight passes, including and excessive amount of time with 4 inch spot pads and a lot of fine detail polishing. I can put my word on the fact that each area of paint on this curved car was treated equally, and brought to absolute perfection under the most discriminating eyes. Total paint correcting time was just over 20 man hours. We started at 9:00 AM and finished just past 1:00 AM the following morning. It was a long day, but that’s what OCD does
Some early, low light sun shots of the defects in the paint. The pictures did not capture the depth or amount of the various scratches and swirls covering the body of the Porsche.

Here I am discussing something (probably telling both a funny and unoriginal joke) while taping the trim of the Porsche.

Unfortunately, a low cloud cover rolled in for the day, which rendered the test spot useless…

As I learned the paint and the work required for it, Brian started working his magic on the interior with the floor mats.

Brian carefully worked around the interior, removing stains and ground dirt from the carpet…

Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned
Brian then removed the carpets and cleaned the floor boards…

The carpets where sprayed and brushed, then shampooed…

Hand applying the Leatherique Rejuvenator to gently clean the leather and remove 20 years of grime, oil, and dirt..

The glow of paint that passes inspection!

Brian helped polish and work the paint while letting the Leatherquie work..

Interior Finished!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Here I am working SIP over the fender of the Porsche, slowly bringing it to perfection. After each session of passes, the paint is wiped with body shop wash, measured with a depth gauge and carefully examined by both of us. Only after passing inspection, is the okay given to move to the next area. After all areas are correct in both sets of eyes, is the next step used.

After a long day of paint correction, the 930 was wiped with pre-sol and rewashed with Z7 with a foam gun.

Then we pulled the car back inside and re-inspected the paint. After passing, we began to hand apply and layer the Zaino sealant.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

After a long day, it was time to pull the Porsche and the Ferrari Boxer BBI (the one from the Cavallino thread) back into the garage and call it a day. Brian took a couple pictures, I guess to show how tight of a squeeze it was..

Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

Two cars with absolutely perfect paint…

Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Beautiful work

Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice, I LOVE the 512BB! That is one of my fav cars!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned
Stealth, it's grown on me too. I think the most appealing attribute to this particular model (aside from the fact it's in better shape than it was when it first entered the country) is the monotone rocker panels. I think this was the only one at Cavallino this year without the blacked out rockers. It improves the looks immensely.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
BSM
BSM is on a distinguished road
The 911 Slant Nose is awesome - and you guys did some great work there. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
BOXER4 is on a distinguished road
stunning car, and you made it look even better...great work, and thanks for sharing the great pics...

Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
droooool*

gotta love those slant nose 930's. i started the "official 930" thread here on 6 due to my love of them!

your 930 is stunning!!! thanks for sharing the pictures!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
rhudeboye is on a distinguished road
Leather
-Conditioned with Leatherqiue Rejuvenator
-Cleaned with Leatherquie Pristine Clean

I have the linen color (light gray) seats in my porsche. I've been trying to bring the color back to life but have yet to find a product that works. Because the leather is vented, i have a hard time removing all of the dirt/oils in the seat. Im going to try the product mentioned above.

Great post.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned
ToddHelme is on a distinguished road
It should be noted that orginally wrote this thread (to clear up any confusion as to why Brian would refer to himself in third person)...lol.

Regarding the Leatherique Treatment, make sure you visit the website and follow the directions. With traditional leather treatments, you clean then condition.

With leatherique, you hand apply the conditioner first (to dirty leather) and allow to soak in for 6-8 hours. Apply liberaly, and if possible, roll up the windows and leave the Porsche in the sun to create a sauna effect. Let sit as long as possible (and over night if it is really dirty).

From my understanding, the Rejuvinator Oil (the conditioner) actually is absored through the thickness of the hide, acting to displace embedded dirt and body oil and "float" or "lift" it out of the hide from the inside out. After being allow to dwell, the Prestine Clean is used to remove the grime that is now on the surface, while the oils stay embedded in the hide. It really is a unique system and I have not found nor used anything that works better. It can be a little of PITA to use, but if you have questions or need tips, feel free to PM myself or Brian and we can help out. Its all about making cars the best they can be, and its our passion.

Best of luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned
ToddHelme is on a distinguished road
PS thanks for the compliments guys, cars like this are obviously fun to work on and the 930 Slant Nose is one of the cooler Porsche's ever produced, IMVHO.