Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

a few claying questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
a few claying questions

dear pros,

so today for the first time in my life i decided to give claying a try. the car: 2003 porsche - always garaged. the tools: sonus green ultra fine clay and sonus glyde spray lubricant.

step one: give the car through wash, dry and move the car into the garage. make the pancake, spray it and the car surface and go to work.

here are the questions:

1) is there such thing as too much spray lubricant? since this is my first time, i figured i'd rather overspray it than underspray it -- right? i think i usually spray about 3-4 pumps onto a 1'x1' area.

2) i can definitely see the dirt catching on the clay bar and paint looking cleaner, but when i run the bag test over the cleaned area, it feels like a sandpaper. why is it? how do i fix it? more aggressive clay bar? less lubricant?

3) after finishing claying a body panel, i simply wipe off the spray lubricant with a clean MF towel. is this good enough considering i plan to put klasse AIO over the car or should i still give the car a wash after claying?

thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Hey JKB, good decision in clay-barring your car for the first time. It is the ultimate prep for waxing your car. We clay bar every car that goes through our shop. For your first question, YES, you can use too much lubrication, as the clay bar will not work very effectively until you have removed some of the solution. For your second question, the clay bar may not be aggressive enough, but if you're claying a black car, I wouldn't go with a very aggressive clay, unless if you are prepared to polish the vehicle. If the car is silver, feel free to buy a more agressive clay bar. If you're drying with a clean MF towel, washing the vehicle is not necessary.

John

Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jkb
dear pros,

so today for the first time in my life i decided to give claying a try. the car: 2003 porsche - always garaged. the tools: sonus green ultra fine clay and sonus glyde spray lubricant.

step one: give the car through wash, dry and move the car into the garage. make the pancake, spray it and the car surface and go to work.

here are the questions:

1) is there such thing as too much spray lubricant? since this is my first time, i figured i'd rather overspray it than underspray it -- right? i think i usually spray about 3-4 pumps onto a 1'x1' area.

2) i can definitely see the dirt catching on the clay bar and paint looking cleaner, but when i run the bag test over the cleaned area, it feels like a sandpaper. why is it? how do i fix it? more aggressive clay bar? less lubricant?

3) after finishing claying a body panel, i simply wipe off the spray lubricant with a clean MF towel. is this good enough considering i plan to put klasse AIO over the car or should i still give the car a wash after claying?

thanks.
1. IMO, you cannot use too much lube. The lube is what keeps the clay from scratching the paint and letting the bar freely move accross the surface.

2. Sonus Extra Fine is an excellent clay but is too gentle for the first application. Go with a mild clay like zymol lehm klay 2 or 3. It's the happy medium.

3. I usually tell clients to give the car a good rinse; you can now use your CR Spotless for this step If you do decide to simply wipe off the finish, use a surface cleaner like Menzerna Top Inpsection.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 AM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
1. IMO, you cannot use too much lube. The lube is what keeps the clay from scratching the paint and letting the bar freely move accross the surface.

2. Sonus Extra Fine is an excellent clay but is too gentle for the first application. Go with a mild clay like zymol lehm klay 2 or 3. It's the happy medium.

3. I usually tell clients to give the car a good rinse; you can now use your CR Spotless for this step If you do decide to simply wipe off the finish, use a surface cleaner like Menzerna Top Inpsection.

Hope this helps.

2. hey man, if you want to throw in a sample piece of zymol clay with my cr spotless order, i'll take it

3. i am not sure what menzerna top inspection is, but would klasse AIO also work since it is also a surface cleaner?

thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jkb
2. hey man, if you want to throw in a sample piece of zymol clay with my cr spotless order, i'll take it

3. i am not sure what menzerna top inspection is, but would klasse AIO also work since it is also a surface cleaner?

thanks
As far as zymol samples go, sorry; we currently don't have any samples. I can send the clay and lube in your order though. Klasse AIO isn't a "spray" cleanser like Menzerna Top Inspection. I can also add that to your order. PM me please if you'd like them.