Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Question about detailing black car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Question about detailing black car

Hello,I would like to know the best way to detail a black non metallic car.
I always use the cutting pad from Meguiar's (with flex rotary machine) and the meguiars speedglaze number 4,after this I use a soft pad with the same speedglaze and after this I use a very soft pad with meguiars show car glaze 7.
When the car is inside or in the shade it looks perfect but in the sunshine you can see some lines,shades where I went with the rotary machine.
So I would like to know the best way how to detail a black car and which products to use...
Thanks a lot...

Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Please give the specific pads you're using and the speed of the machine.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Sounds to me like you're not letting your polishes dry or you're not working them in long enough (same difference). This can leave a residue behind in most cases depending on the polishes. Also if you're using too much product it will take a lot longer to work in and dry...

After you work them in, do a finger wipe test, if they streak then they're still not quite dry enough and if they wipe clean then they are ready to wipe off with a MF towel.

What speeds are you working them in with? You may need to turn up the speed which will help the abrasives break down faster and thus dry properly and wipe off cleanly. I would also suggest inspecting your work under at least 500W halogens. You can get them for like $25 at Lowes.

Josh

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I'm using the meguiar's cutting pad W7006 at a speed from 1200 t/m,after that I use the meguiar's yellow soft buff foam polishing pad also at a speed from 1200t/m.
I bought 2 halogens from 500w today,it's much better now to see imperfections..

Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by dixie
I'm using the meguiar's cutting pad W7006 at a speed from 1200 t/m,after that I use the meguiar's yellow soft buff foam polishing pad also at a speed from 1200t/m.
I bought 2 halogens from 500w today,it's much better now to see imperfections..

Are you working the products till they break down and become clear?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Almost clear because I'm a bit afraid to buff till completely dry..

Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by dixie
Almost clear because I'm a bit afraid to buff till completely dry..
Good, then try this, once you've got it to "almost clear", turn the speed down and just finish it off on a low speed.

When I use my Makita Rotary, I typically quickly spread the polish around on 600rpms, then turn it up to around 1200-1700rpms depending on the condition of the swirls and type of paint and then I work it in till clear or nearly clear and turn it back down to like 900rpms and really finish it off lightly.

Josh