Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

what do you guys pay for detailing?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
My ears are bleeding . . .

I get a lot of pleasure out of detailing my own car. I love learning about new products and techniques. For me, it is part of being a "car guy." I am also a very busy person, but we make time for the things we love. Once you get good at it, you can do a damn fine detail in a reasonable amount of time. Take some time and design a special space to detail your car. Put some thought into it. Set it up and keep it organized. Schedule your detailing like you would your other daily responsibilities. It's better than therapy - and cheaper! My teenage son helps me out - he is a "car guy" too. With teens you need common ground. We love it.

Take that $500 and put it in the Ferrari fund.

Just my opinion.

ps. I hate being the first post on the second page....

Last edited by Barrister; 05-06-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Zaks will become famous soon enoughZaks will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Barrister

I get a lot of pleasure out of detailing my own car. I love learning about new products and techniques. For me, it is part of being a "car guy." I am also a very busy person, but we make time for the things we love. Once you get good at it, you can do a damn fine detail in a reasonable amount of time. Take some time and design a special space to detail your car. Put some thought into it. Set it up and keep it organized. Schedule your detailing like you would your other daily responsibilities. It's better than therapy - and cheaper! My teenage son helps me out - he is a "car guy" too. With teens you need common ground. We love it.

Just my opinion.

I'm all for teaching owner's to take care of their cars but learning to properly polish a car is A LOT harder than learning to properly maintain it after a detail, which is why many take it to a good detailer... another reason is simple, time=money... why would someone spend 10 hrs to save $500 and "break their back" when they can sit comfortably in their office and make that or more.... again, don't get me wrong, I'm all for people taking care of their cars because some are just abused, but I'm trying to explain that not everyone is fit to get up and start detailing their own ride

Old 05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tanman
Do you guys pay $500.00 like I do for interior/exterior. Clay bar, cleaner, 3 coats. I have gotten great advice from this forum about DIY, I am just short on time all the time. I can imagine the satisfaction after doing your own car.
Anyhow, my original question, 5 bens for detail, I live here in the Bay Area,
fair price?

Redline once a day.
This is an excellent question. Here's a call I get once in a while from perspective clients that don't know me well:

Caller: "Hi; I have a _______. How much do you charge for a detail"

Moe: "It all depends on the condition of your car"

Caller: "Oh, I take really good care of it and it's in pretty good shape"

Moe: "OK, what color ______ do you have?"

Caller: "Black. It does have some swirls though, but other than that, it's in great shape"

Moe: OK. The detail portion of the process will run you $XXX depending on which detail package you choose. Since your car is a darker color, we may have to do some paint correction and that is an extra cost. I just want to be up front but we'll cross that bridge when we get there"

So after a 15 minute conversation, the client realizes he's not talking to a typical novice rather a professional that is probing him and leading him to the right path. I believe in educating. There are MANY MANY detailers out there that would quote without even looking at a car. How can you know what the scope of work is without asking some key questions?

So how much does a detail cost? It's like asking a doctor how much to get rid of this ache on my left side. Without the proper examination, you cannot give the correct diagnosis. Each car is different. I can have one 997 be $500 and another be $1200 for a detail. Obviously the latter needed more work to get it up to par.

How I explain it to my clients is simple; I have a certain vision of what your car is suppose to look like. It's my job to convey that image to you and see if it's consistent with your expectations. How we get there is the road your car dictates, not me. I don't believe in machine polishing every car. Not every car, or client, is a good candidate.

So next time you call a detailer, don't ask how much, rather:

1. What is your process
2. Can I see some references
3. Are you insured, and how much
4. Will YOU be doing the work or someone else
5. How many other cars similar to mine have you worked on
6. How do I maintain my car after your detail

This way you get value and not a "deal" Your cars are way too expensive and repairs are VERY costly to try and save a few bucks.

Side note...If you're a good detailer, not sure how one can be judged other than by peers or avid enthusiasts, don't sell yourself short. A few hundred bucks may sound good now while you're young, but in a few years you're getting older and the business will grow so you'll need to hire help. If you're charging $200-300 a detail and it takes 2 guys 4-5 hours, at $10 /hour, that's $80-100. Then you calculate tax, insurance, product cost, overhead, etc. and suddenly the $300 is more like $50-75 to the bottom line. Say you work 6 days a week, that's $300-450 /week, $15-24K a year. How can you invest back into your business, raise a family, buy a house, live a comfortable life if you don't look to the future and plan now?

The key is to constantly learn and improve your skills, educate your clients, and support the industry. Cars that are 6 figures and above, which most are now, cannot be properly cared for in a few hours for a few hundred bucks. Both the client and the detailer need to work together for a common goal: integrity and proper care of these cherished objects we call automobiles.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion.

Well said...that's why there's a huge DIY Detailing market emerging. I love to see the owner work on his/her car. This way, you have greater appreciation for the art of detailing. Most my current clients have me out 2 times a year and do the maintenance themselves. A win-win for both the detailer and the owner.

But there's also nothing wrong with having a qualified professional do all the work and you enjoy the ownership aspect. It all comes down to what makes your boat float. I have clients that LOVE cars but just don't have the time or desire to detail. They appreciate and know what thier car SHOULD look like and have me do that aspect.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
This is an excellent question. Here's a call I get once in a while from perspective clients that don't know me well:

Caller: "Hi; I have a _______. How much do you charge for a detail"

Moe: "It all depends on the condition of your car"

Caller: "Oh, I take really good care of it and it's in pretty good shape"

Moe: "OK, what color ______ do you have?"

Caller: "Black. It does have some swirls though, but other than that, it's in great shape"

Moe: OK. The detail portion of the process will run you $XXX depending on which detail package you choose. Since your car is a darker color, we may have to do some paint correction and that is an extra cost. I just want to be up front but we'll cross that bridge when we get there"

So after a 15 minute conversation, the client realizes he's not talking to a typical novice rather a professional that is probing him and leading him to the right path. I believe in educating. There are MANY MANY detailers out there that would quote without even looking at a car. How can you know what the scope of work is without asking some key questions?

So how much does a detail cost? It's like asking a doctor how much to get rid of this ache on my left side. Without the proper examination, you cannot give the correct diagnosis. Each car is different. I can have one 997 be $500 and another be $1200 for a detail. Obviously the latter needed more work to get it up to par.

How I explain it to my clients is simple; I have a certain vision of what your car is suppose to look like. It's my job to convey that image to you and see if it's consistent with your expectations. How we get there is the road your car dictates, not me. I don't believe in machine polishing every car. Not every car, or client, is a good candidate.

So next time you call a detailer, don't ask how much, rather:

1. What is your process
2. Can I see some references
3. Are you insured, and how much
4. Will YOU be doing the work or someone else
5. How many other cars similar to mine have you worked on
6. How do I maintain my car after your detail

This way you get value and not a "deal" Your cars are way too expensive and repairs are VERY costly to try and save a few bucks.

Side note...If you're a good detailer, not sure how one can be judged other than by peers or avid enthusiasts, don't sell yourself short. A few hundred bucks may sound good now while you're young, but in a few years you're getting older and the business will grow so you'll need to hire help. If you're charging $200-300 a detail and it takes 2 guys 4-5 hours, at $10 /hour, that's $80-100. Then you calculate tax, insurance, product cost, overhead, etc. and suddenly the $300 is more like $50-75 to the bottom line. Say you work 6 days a week, that's $300-450 /week, $15-24K a year. How can you invest back into your business, raise a family, buy a house, live a comfortable life if you don't look to the future and plan now?

The key is to constantly learn and improve your skills, educate your clients, and support the industry. Cars that are 6 figures and above, which most are now, cannot be properly cared for in a few hours for a few hundred bucks. Both the client and the detailer need to work together for a common goal: integrity and proper care of these cherished objects we call automobiles.
+1 on everything to the exact word except "I don't believe in machine polishing every car"... I believe, from past experience, that EVERY car, new or old, will benefit to a certain degree from machine polishing, whether it's orbital or rotary... I've received a couple new vehicles for prep and they were pretty much perfect so all I did was a sealant. The other 10+ brand new vehicles all had a waterspot here or there, some swirling, etc. etc. and polishing the paint just makes it perfect.

Again, very very good post Moe... huge difference between a valuable, quality detail and a deal in this industry

Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Dang Moe. You are like the Tony Robbins of detailing . . . I feel hella motivated now!

If I was ever to go to a pro detailer, it would be you my friend. Us Ladera Ranch homeys have to stick together!

Last edited by Barrister; 05-07-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by lecchilo
+1 on everything to the exact word except "I don't believe in machine polishing every car"... I believe, from past experience, that EVERY car, new or old, will benefit to a certain degree from machine polishing, whether it's orbital or rotary... I've received a couple new vehicles for prep and they were pretty much perfect so all I did was a sealant. The other 10+ brand new vehicles all had a waterspot here or there, some swirling, etc. etc. and polishing the paint just makes it perfect.

Again, very very good post Moe... huge difference between a valuable, quality detail and a deal in this industry
Thanks Ivan. I have a lot of clients that have been the original owner and we've never machine polished their car. I think to have a swirl-free car for a few days isn't worth removing clearcoat. Don't get me wrong, I'd say 7 out of 10 cars SHOULD be machine polished, but I qualify the client first. By that I mean, I make sure he/she understands that if the car is taken to a car wash, wiped down with inferior towels and/or products, those swirls will be back. So when he/she has assured me that the old bad habits are gone, I'll invest the time and effort to make their paint look the best it can.

Back to my doctor analogy: Not everyone needs surgery. I see paint correction as surgery on cars. All the pieces of the equations need to fit before we take that step.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
Dang Moe. You are like the Tony Robbins of detailing . . . I feel hella motivated now!

If I was ever to go to a pro detailer, it would be you my friend. Us Ladera Ranch homeys have to stick together!
Have I awakened the giant within all of you?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Back to my doctor analogy: Not everyone needs surgery. I see paint correction as surgery on cars. All the pieces of the equations need to fit before we take that step.
Sorry Moe. You lost me with this one.

Joke.

I am in a wierd mood tonight.

Moe is the best. Great customer service and a smart businessman.

Do you need a lawyer by chance??

Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks Ivan. I have a lot of clients that have been the original owner and we've never machine polished their car. I think to have a swirl-free car for a few days isn't worth removing clearcoat. Don't get me wrong, I'd say 7 out of 10 cars SHOULD be machine polished, but I qualify the client first. By that I mean, I make sure he/she understands that if the car is taken to a car wash, wiped down with inferior towels and/or products, those swirls will be back. So when he/she has assured me that the old bad habits are gone, I'll invest the time and effort to make their paint look the best it can.

Yea I understand... but 106ff with LC white pad on the PC removes almost no paint and makes the very light stuff disappear, thus why I said I always like to polish a new client's car, and then show him proper maintenance or do it for him

I have been doing what you do for a long time now, kinda deciding what should be done to the car by first meeting and getting to know the owner/client, rather than immediately trying to perfect the car to my own standards

Old 05-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Premium Sponsor
Yea I understand... but 106ff with LC white pad on the PC removes almost no paint and makes the very light stuff disappear, thus why I said I always like to polish a new client's car, and then show him proper maintenance or do it for him

I have been doing what you do for a long time now, kinda deciding what should be done to the car by first meeting and getting to know the owner/client, rather than immediately trying to perfect the car to my own standards
You're very right...using 106 and white pad with a PC isn't too aggressive but it is removing clear, how do you think the imperfections are dissappearing? I guess my point is, how much can you do before you begin to compromise the finish. I'm looking long-term considering these cars will outlive us and will change owners many times. But we all know nothing beats a properly prepped paint that is swirl-free and glistens in the sun

Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
Sorry Moe. You lost me with this one.

Joke.

I am in a wierd mood tonight.

Moe is the best. Great customer service and a smart businessman.

Do you need a lawyer by chance??

I found out a few years back that I have a herniated disk. I was told by a chiropractor i need surgery. I went to 2 specialists, and my current chiro, and they said surgery isn't our best option. Knock on wood, after an epidural two years ago, my back feels fine and I didn't need surgery.

So basically, if you consider the scope of work that goes into machine polishing, it's basically surgery for the paint. If the client isn't going to care for the car post-paint correction, why perfrom the process? I hope this clears it up.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 05-07-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm all for teaching owner's to take care of their cars but learning to properly polish a car is A LOT harder than learning to properly maintain it after a detail, which is why many take it to a good detailer... another reason is simple, time=money... why would someone spend 10 hrs to save $500 and "break their back" when they can sit comfortably in their office and make that or more.... again, don't get me wrong, I'm all for people taking care of their cars because some are just abused, but I'm trying to explain that not everyone is fit to get up and start detailing their own ride

I hear you man. I was just referring to people who love it. To me, the worst day detailing your 997TT is better than the best day at the office.

Maybe I need a new line of work. Moe, are you hiring???

Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Premium Sponsor

I hear you man. I was just referring to people who love it. To me, the worst day detailing your 997TT is better than the best day at the office.

Maybe I need a new line of work. Moe, are you hiring???
I only wish I could duplicate me...I've got so much work, it's unbelievable. I LOVE IT!!!!

Anytime you're ready, cmon down

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
tanman will become famous soon enough
Thank you all

There is a bounty of great info from everyone. Moe you seem to really love detailing, loe hearing the passion. I too have seen the light and will make an effort to detail my own car. I just hope I don't do more harm than good. Will resesarch some more.

" Two heads are better than one, but one a**hole is plenty "

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what do you guys pay for detailing?