Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ggregory
Moe-

I followed your advice and many others by thoroughly rinsing my rotors after washing them. I.e. 1-2 minutes of water on each one. They still end up with this brown "gook" bleeding from the holes. See pic.

Any advice? Many thanks again for your help!

Greg
That's perfectly normal. It's the metal that's glazed on the rotors and it's rusting because of contact with water. It goes away as soon as you use your brakes.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Frank A.
Hi Moe. Great info you have provided here. I have a question about cleaning in between the trinity steps. I use ONR for washes, I polish by hand using Einszett Paint Polish Lack-Politur and I then apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to wash/clean with anything special to remove the Ultima prior to claying?

2. After claying do I need to wash/wipe down/clean with anything special to either remove the clay residue or the Ultima prior to polishing?

3. After polishing do I need to wash/wipe down/clean with anything special to remove the polilsh residue prior to applying the Ultima?

Thanks!

Regards,
Frank A.
Thanks for reading through the thread Frank and I'm glad it helps.

1. I'd do a thorough wash before trinity. This assures you've got a clean car in all the areas you cannot see. If you're concerned about wax being left on the car, do a alcohol wipe down prior to claying. We use 91% IPA.

2. Yes. Clean the clay residue by either washing or wiping off the clay residue with DI water and mf towel.

3. No. Once polished, you're ready for wax.

Great questions and thanks for posting.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Frank A. is on a distinguished road
Thanks Moe!

One last thing. I have read on the internet (so it must be true ) that IPA will remove a carnauba wax but not a sealant like Ultima, which I use. Any truth to this? If so, what should I use instead of the IPA? Thanks again.

Regards,
Frank A.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Frank A.
Thanks Moe!

One last thing. I have read on the internet (so it must be true ) that IPA will remove a carnauba wax but not a sealant like Ultima, which I use. Any truth to this? If so, what should I use instead of the IPA? Thanks again.

Regards,
Frank A.
A few wipe downs with IPA and a polishing should remove most, if not all, the previous synthetic product.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 AM
exophthalmos will become famous soon enough
Hi Moe,
Been reading this sticky...very informative. Why different color pads? I have a 2004 artic silver 911. I want to do the trinity probably 2-3x a year. I want to keep my budget low but still with good results. What would be a good package for me?

Thanks,
John

Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by exophthalmos
Hi Moe,
Been reading this sticky...very informative. Why different color pads? I have a 2004 artic silver 911. I want to do the trinity probably 2-3x a year. I want to keep my budget low but still with good results. What would be a good package for me?

Thanks,
John
Hi John. Thanks for checking out this thread and I'm glad you found it helpful. A good simple kit that will cover the techniques mentioned ehre is this:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

It's not very expensive and the results will be great. You can also go a-la-carte and get this kit:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...to-care/Detail

Just add the clay:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...cant%2C/Detail

The benefits of the latter kit is you get the soap and wheel cleaner included.

Let me know if this helps you achieve what you were asking.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
RPGilberts87 is on a distinguished road
The different colored pads are for the "coarseness" per say for the type of job your using. You typically use a wool foam pad for heavy cutting and compounding. Cyan, orange or yellow, for light cutting. White, green pads for polishing. Black or blue pads for finish polishing. Lastly red pads and also blue pads use to apply a wax or sealant by machine.
I'm sorry if I left any color out, but you get the idea.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks RPGilbert

Old 12-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Moe....thanks for the quick reply!
I would like to minimize my time in car detailing, even though i find that therapeutic sometimes, but only if i have 48hrs a day. Do you think i should invest in a power tool, ie. flex vs. porter cable? would that significantly decrease my time and energy spent? If so, which package do u recommend? BTW, I prefer the basic wax kit over the P21S Deluxe set....

thanks in advance,
John

Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
I would recommend the PC if you're a beginner with detailing tools. I have both tools. I bought the PC 6 months before I bought my flex rotary. Within under a year I had the brushes in my flex rotary wear out and had to have the whole thing replaced. Never had a problem with my PC though... I don't know if it's just my model, but I'm not happy with the flex engineering. As for the flex forced random orbital polisher I haven't had any experience with, but have heard good things. Also heard good things about the griot's orbital.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by exophthalmos
Moe....thanks for the quick reply!
I would like to minimize my time in car detailing, even though i find that therapeutic sometimes, but only if i have 48hrs a day. Do you think i should invest in a power tool, ie. flex vs. porter cable? would that significantly decrease my time and energy spent? If so, which package do u recommend? BTW, I prefer the basic wax kit over the P21S Deluxe set....

thanks in advance,
John
Using a tool like the flex or pc isn't going to save you a lot of time but it's going to give you night and day results. IMHO, if you can spend the extra $$, the PC shouldn't even be an option. The flex da is such an amazing tool and a great value considering all that it does, that it makes the PC obsolete. With the flex, you won't be calling us ever and saying you'll need to trade up to a better tool.

Using the flex will yield you an almost perfect finish no matter what car you have. You can remedy many situations such as swirls, micro-scratches, oxidation, even heavy scratches. What's great about the flex is that it also scales down to wax your car as well. So if you got the basic wax kit, and added the flex, you wouldn't save much time, but your results would be night and day. Just get a white pad, polishing, and a red pad, waxing.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
I would recommend the PC if you're a beginner with detailing tools. I have both tools. I bought the PC 6 months before I bought my flex rotary. Within under a year I had the brushes in my flex rotary wear out and had to have the whole thing replaced. Never had a problem with my PC though... I don't know if it's just my model, but I'm not happy with the flex engineering. As for the flex forced random orbital polisher I haven't had any experience with, but have heard good things. Also heard good things about the griot's orbital.
The PC is good if you're price-sensitive and need something better than by hand. But I would highly recommend the flex DA, 3401, any day over a PC or griot's da. The build quality, performance, and value you get with a flex, makes it a clear winner for us. You'll have less vibration, less noise, better correcting ability, more durability, etc. with the flex than you can get with any comparable unit on the market.

But, if your budget doesn't allow for it, that's a different story. Also, the 3401 is a very safe tool, so a DIYer shouldn't have the concern of damaging the paint. We tell our clients that the flex DA is basically a hybrid between a PC and a rotary. It corrects almost like a rotary and has the safety of a PC.

As for the flex rotary, it's not bad. We've played with one and have it here at the studio. I just find myself going back to the Makita for it's ease of use and performance. A rotary isn't anything I'd recommend for a DIYer. Better left to the pros IMHO.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 12-17-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The PC is good if you're price-sensitive and need something better than by hand. But I would highly recommend the flex DA, 3401, any day over a PC or griot's da. The build quality, performance, and value you get with a flex, makes it a clear winner for us. You'll have less vibration, less noise, better correcting ability, more durability, etc. with the flex than you can get with any comparable unit on the market.

But, if your budget doesn't allow for it, that's a different story. Also, the 3401 is a very safe tool, so a DIYer shouldn't have the concern of damaging the paint. We tell our clients that the flex DA is basically a hybrid between a PC and a rotary. It corrects almost like a rotary and has the safety of a PC.

As for the flex rotary, it's not bad. We've played with one and have it here at the studio. I just find myself going back to the Makita for it's ease of use and performance. A rotary isn't anything I'd recommend for a DIYer. Better left to the pros IMHO.
I haven't used the flex DA yet, but would really like too. I agree fully with you Moe about letting the pros use the rotary. I've been detailing for 7 years and just finally started using a rotary 2 years ago. It's different from the PC to get used to, but very fun to learn. I was told that the FLEX is the top of the line power tool for detailing so I purchased it and have had nothing but problems with it. I want to invest in the makita rotary!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by RPGilberts87
I haven't used the flex DA yet, but would really like too. I agree fully with you Moe about letting the pros use the rotary. I've been detailing for 7 years and just finally started using a rotary 2 years ago. It's different from the PC to get used to, but very fun to learn. I was told that the FLEX is the top of the line power tool for detailing so I purchased it and have had nothing but problems with it. I want to invest in the makita rotary!
Sorry to hear about your experience with the flex. All the praise is usually geared towards the XC3401. Have you contacted flex or the company you bought it from? Usually that can be a good starting point. Maybe you can send your unit back and get a credit towards a 3401. Just a thought.

As for the makita, I personally love mine. We have 2 and couldn't imagine not having it around. Luckily, you can pick one up for a great price.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
What products would you pick from all that's available?--- The best one product from every manufacturer ... The best wax, the best polish, the best spray for clay...
Instead of keeping with all the products from one brand just choose the very best of each one....

Who make the best foam pads? The best pad cleaner and conditioner?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish