Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Great question!

Originally Posted by kwak12r
Hi Moe
Ordered the duster set from you as I am throwing out the Cali Duster!!
I have a few questions for you as a new DIYer for car cleaning.

I have a CLS63 AMG with a charcoal graphite paint from the Designo series. I usually have the local dealer do a complete detail 2/year. I think that I can do this myself as the paint is in pristine condition. I usually go through a touches car wash but I think that is not a good thing!
I am in the process of picking up a 2011 Grand Cherokee with a new Saddle leather interior.

With the GC coming in new, what do you suggest as a first step once it is picked up from the dealer?

As for being able to do quick washes and not spending the entire weekends detail my cars, what would you suggest from a product standpoint? I would be OK to do waxing/polishing once in every few months.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
For a new car, and wanting to keep things simple, just do a good full detail. Exterior, clay-polish-wax...that's it. Here is a simple kit for that:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Wax-Kit/Detail

Interior, simple cleaning and a conditioning:

If it has leather, then condition with Sonax Leather Foam:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...er-Foam/Detail

Then follow with Sonax Dashboard Cleaner to wipe things down. Think of it as an interior detail spray:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Cleaner/Detail

Weekly washes, keep it simple and get this kit:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ash-Kit/Detail

And you're right....you WILL probably do a better job than the dealer because it's YOUR car and now you'll have the right products.

Thanks for your business!! Yous hould see a t-shirt your order

Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
kwak12r has a spectacular aura aboutkwak12r has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the reply Moe.
I emailed you with some things!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the reply Moe.
I emailed you with some things!
Got it...thanks! Will get everything out to you today. Please don't hesitate to call us if you have any questions when you get your products and when you're getting ready to use them. That's what we're here for.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Flex/ Wolfgang ?

First off thanks for the endless amount of info you provide us novice detailers. I have a couple of questions. I recently purchased the Flex system polisher and some Wolfgang sealer for my basalt black 996tt. Is there anything I should know before I attempt to use this system? The paint on the car is great, so I am looking to add a little more shine and protection. Is there anyway I can hurt the finish or burn the paint with this toy? Any tips on how to use the flex polisher? Also I have 3m film protection that seems cloudy anyway to clear it up? But the most important question of all is CAN I GET A T- SHIRT AND HAT? Thanks again

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by YZWILLY
First off thanks for the endless amount of info you provide us novice detailers. I have a couple of questions. I recently purchased the Flex system polisher and some Wolfgang sealer for my basalt black 996tt. Is there anything I should know before I attempt to use this system? The paint on the car is great, so I am looking to add a little more shine and protection. Is there anyway I can hurt the finish or burn the paint with this toy? Any tips on how to use the flex polisher? Also I have 3m film protection that seems cloudy anyway to clear it up? But the most important question of all is CAN I GET A T- SHIRT AND HAT? Thanks again
Thanks for checking out this thread and I'm glad it's of good value to you.

As for the flex, excellent tool and you're going to love it. You should be able to tackle anything that comes your way regarding imperfections in the paint.

As for the Wolfgang product, it's a sealer. What are you trying to accomplish? If swirl removal or paint correction is what you're after, you need proper polishes and pads, then you can seal with the Wolfgang.

As for your clear bra, it'll need to be polished with the right pad/polish combo to bring back the gloss. How long have you had it and can you post some pictures.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
kwak12r has a spectacular aura aboutkwak12r has a spectacular aura about
Hey Moe
Just spent about 5 hours today doing the wash, clay bar, polish and wax!!
It looks really good and the products worked very well.
The part i think I hated the most was drying. I tried the leaf blower but it still did not do a good job. It seems water gets everywhere! I was drying for about 30 minutes.
Anyways, thanks for the help and support!!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Premium Sponsor
Hey Moe
Just spent about 5 hours today doing the wash, clay bar, polish and wax!!
It looks really good and the products worked very well.
The part i think I hated the most was drying. I tried the leaf blower but it still did not do a good job. It seems water gets everywhere! I was drying for about 30 minutes.
Anyways, thanks for the help and support!!
That's fantastic!!! Drying should be easier now that you have wax on the car.

Or, perhaps an airmax may be in your future

Oh, where are the pictures of your car??? We'd all love to see the transformation.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Austinm911 is on a distinguished road
Hi Moe! Few newbie questions here
I'm pretty young and I drive a 2009 Acura TL. I sometimes have trouble keeping it clean when driving around other crazy 18 year olds. At school, the parking lot has a nack of always attracting dust, and other unwanted things, and birds are everywhere. So I take my car in to get hand washes every month or two, and I also try to hand wash my car by myself. I haven't actually payed attention to detailing, but I use regular Mr. Clean car soap, and just run around my car with it and hope I can dry it in time before it leaves a mark (happened last time, yes I know i'm a scrub.)

One of my questions is, what items would you recommend I pick up to keep my car looking brand new? And there's a little bit of black paint on my rear bumper and a dent on the bottom of the trunk because someone scrapped my car. Is there any remedy I can use to help hide the black paint?

And also, I have been surfing the web and seen many people who have done color conversions by foiling/taping their car ( such as in this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135662)

My father, who drives a 2009 S550, really liked the idea of easily changing the color of your car. He isn't fully convinced on foiling until he sees it in person. Do you know any shops that sell car foil, or any events/places in So-Cal to see cars that have been foiled?

Thanks a ton!
Austin

Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Austinm911
Hi Moe! Few newbie questions here
I'm pretty young and I drive a 2009 Acura TL. I sometimes have trouble keeping it clean when driving around other crazy 18 year olds. At school, the parking lot has a nack of always attracting dust, and other unwanted things, and birds are everywhere. So I take my car in to get hand washes every month or two, and I also try to hand wash my car by myself. I haven't actually payed attention to detailing, but I use regular Mr. Clean car soap, and just run around my car with it and hope I can dry it in time before it leaves a mark (happened last time, yes I know i'm a scrub.)

One of my questions is, what items would you recommend I pick up to keep my car looking brand new? And there's a little bit of black paint on my rear bumper and a dent on the bottom of the trunk because someone scrapped my car. Is there any remedy I can use to help hide the black paint?

And also, I have been surfing the web and seen many people who have done color conversions by foiling/taping their car ( such as in this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135662)

My father, who drives a 2009 S550, really liked the idea of easily changing the color of your car. He isn't fully convinced on foiling until he sees it in person. Do you know any shops that sell car foil, or any events/places in So-Cal to see cars that have been foiled?

Thanks a ton!
Austin
Hi Austin...the best advice i'd give you is, if you've got the time and passion, wash the car yourself. Our Basic wash kit would be a good place to start:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ash-Kit/Detail

As for wrapping your car, we can take care of that for you if you're interested. I can tell you that there are lots of pros and cons to it; so if you're serious, give us a call and i'd be happy to walk you through the process.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
cellg8 is on a distinguished road
Hi Moe,

I have been using Leather Master for my leather seats (Audi S4 and Cayenne). However, I think it's a bit too diluted... I was wondering if I could use hand lotion like Eucerin or Curel on the seats?

Thank you.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by cellg8
Hi Moe,

I have been using Leather Master for my leather seats (Audi S4 and Cayenne). However, I think it's a bit too diluted... I was wondering if I could use hand lotion like Eucerin or Curel on the seats?

Thank you.
No. I wouldn't use any lotions as I don't think they'd even penetrate the hide. Your best bet may be to switch to Leatherique and do that system. It's always worked like a charm for us.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...que/Categories

Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
ChrisKaze is infamous around these parts
Hi MoeMinstry,

I am no detailer expert but yesterday I was up against the toughest water marks I ever seen. I just washed my car normally but the water dried faster than I could shamwow it! (was kind of hot 95 degrees) After I pulled the car into the garage and I could not get the water marks off. I tried to spray some car detailer on it and rubbed it with a microfiber towel to no use. I tried rubbing it with a foam applicator pad with no use, I tried some polish and it still did not come off. What kind of sorcery is this?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 AM
KNK
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.
KNK is on a distinguished road
Hi Moe,

Thanks much for all the great advice you give on this forum.

I did a hand wash on the Boxster S last weekend after a long New Jersey winter and noticed the front bumper and air dam area of the car had a random collection of small protruding substances stuck on the paint. These are little spots (smaller than 1/8 of an inch), and I don't know if they're tar or bugs or whatever. I didn't want to scrub them off for fear of marring the paint. I did hit them with some Einszett Bug and Tar remover, letting it dwell for a few minutes, but that didn't loosen them. I'd like to get them off this weekend, so I can do a clay and wax job.

What is the best way to gently remove these type of things?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by KNK
Hi Moe,

Thanks much for all the great advice you give on this forum.

I did a hand wash on the Boxster S last weekend after a long New Jersey winter and noticed the front bumper and air dam area of the car had a random collection of small protruding substances stuck on the paint. These are little spots (smaller than 1/8 of an inch), and I don't know if they're tar or bugs or whatever. I didn't want to scrub them off for fear of marring the paint. I did hit them with some Einszett Bug and Tar remover, letting it dwell for a few minutes, but that didn't loosen them. I'd like to get them off this weekend, so I can do a clay and wax job.

What is the best way to gently remove these type of things?

Thanks in advance.
Without seeing a picture, this one's hard for me to advise on. Either way, if it's tar, sap, bugs, etc. claying will do the work. Just make sure you polish and wax afterward.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM
chardonet will become famous soon enoughchardonet will become famous soon enough
Need advise on how to remove wheel weight tape

Hi Moe: I need new tires soon. If you recall, I have Dymags on the GT-3. I don't want to leave it up to the tire shop to remove the weights that are taped onto the CF barrels. What will be the safest and quickest way to remove the tape/weights and any adhesive residue without damaging the CF? Thank you in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe