Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Basic essentials for good clean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
SKooT1027 is infamous around these parts
Basic essentials for good clean

I picked up a white 02 996 cab less than 2 weeks ago, and want to get it nice and shiny. I washed it last weekend with basic car wash from autozone, but would like to give it a better cleaning this weekend. I was hoping someone with more experience could recommend the basic tools and products I should use.

Basics about the car:
Porsche 996 Cab (what type of top does it have - fabric or vinyl?)
White / Natural Brown
Full leather interior
Daily Driver
CT Car - Lives outside - See's all weather

I am going to scrap all my old towels and sponges, as well as cleaners (most are jsut about gone). I want to give a wash, clay, polish and wax. It is a daily driver, and lives outside . It will be experiencing all weather (I live in CT). I think some sort of synthetic wax would probably be a better option for longevity vs a caranuba, correct? I plan to wash it every week - two weeks, but would prefer to only give a really good detail at the start and end of summer. During the winter months I will have to find one of those DIY wash booths.

I don't want to spend a ton, but I dont want to get junky products. Can someone recommend some products to do the job? Both interior and exterior.

I assume I need:
Tons of towels (how many?)
Wash mit
Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax
Leather cleaner/conditioner
Carpet cleaner
Some other interior cleaner?
Roof cleaner/conditioner (can I use car wash soap to wash it)
Tire shine
Stoner Glass Cleaner (unless you have a better one, I find this works great)

I will be looking to probably pick up a random orbital buffer for the polishing/waxing, but know little about them. Im sure Ill need a few pads for this as well.

Any help would be great

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
ZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant future
- Quality Sheepskin mitts - I use Eurow
- Quality microfiber towels - waffle weave for drying, plush for quick detailing, short-nap for wax/polish removal, and cheapies for door jambs, wheels, etc.
- High-lubricity car wash - lots of good ones - Zaino Z7, Einszett Perls, Meguiar's Gold Class, etc.
- Clay - no huge differences
- Polishes - Menzerna, Meguiars, Einszett, 3M, etc.
- Wax/Sealant - personal preference - I typically use Zaino for my sealants and Pinnalce Souveran for my carnauba
- Leather cleaner/conditioner - Zaino Z9 and Z10, Leatherique, Leathermaster, etc.
- Carpet cleaner - Folex and 303 Carpet and Upholstery
- Interior maintenance - Meguiar's Interior Quik Detailer or Einszett ****pit Premium
- Roof - Raggtopp
- Tire/Rubber dressing - Zaino Z16 and Adam's VRT are my favorites

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam (optional)

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring