Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Matte Black Film/Foil Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:03 AM
ELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud ofELMEL has much to be proud of
Matte Black Film/Foil Care

For those who have the XPEL or other matte black film/foil applied, what's it like to care for it? Does it show imperfections easily?

I have a black car now, and as we all know, it's a lot of work to keep it clean. But if I get some small surface imperfections, I can just buff them out myself. I find that if I try to buff my clear bra, I don't get good results (and I realize that's because I'm an amateur; I know for example that Bob Willis can make it look like new). But can I keep the foil in good shape by myself?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ELMEL
For those who have the XPEL or other matte black film/foil applied, what's it like to care for it? Does it show imperfections easily?

I have a black car now, and as we all know, it's a lot of work to keep it clean. But if I get some small surface imperfections, I can just buff them out myself. I find that if I try to buff my clear bra, I don't get good results (and I realize that's because I'm an amateur; I know for example that Bob Willis can make it look like new). But can I keep the foil in good shape by myself?
The matte films and paints are still something that can't be cared for like traditional paint. If you get scratches in the paint or film, they'll most likely need to be replaced or re-painted. Caring for such surfaces is a lot different too. You cannot clay a matte paint and you shouldn't clay the matte vinyl either.

Short of washing and cleaning with a detail spray, not spray wax, there's not much else that should/could be done. So to answer your question, in some aspects it's easier because you don't clay, polish, wax the matte surface. But if there are imperfections like scratches or scuffs, then you'll need to replace or repaint. This has been my experience. Maybe others can chime in and tell us what they've been able to do.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
From what I have seen, everything Moe said is true for paint and vinyl. For Matte Paint Protection film (ours at least) you can also wax and clay it. You can't buff it, but you can do the other things.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Matte or Satin Finish Paint - if polished with traditional polishes the finish will become less matte and glossier over time; do not wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for Matte finish paint and vinyl wrapshave been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges

Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Matte or Satin Finish Paint - if polished with traditional polishes the finish will become less matte and glossier over time; do not wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for Matte finish paint and vinyl wrapshave been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges
Jon, have you tried using Zaino AIO on a matte film or paint? Doesn't AIO have cleaners and a synthetic polymer sealant that gives paint gloss? Would it not do the same thing to a matte finish? Just curious. Zaino's site claims it will leave a glossy and protective layer.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Jon, have you tried using Zaino AIO on a matte film or paint? Doesn't AIO have cleaners and a synthetic polymer sealant that gives paint gloss? Would it not do the same thing to a matte finish? Just curious. Zaino's site claims it will leave a glossy and protective layer.
Zaino AIO used with a zero cut pad will basically 'clean' a paint surface as opposed to abrade it and most polymers when applied to a 'flat' (i.e. reflective) surface will provide gloss

Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Zaino AIO used with a zero cut pad will basically 'clean' a paint surface as opposed to abrade it and most polymers when applied to a 'flat' (i.e. reflective) surface will provide gloss
OK...if you've personally tried it, then your experience is enough validation for me. Otherwise, I'm a bit skeptical as I assumed AIOs from every manufacturer have some wax and oils in it which are suppose to give the surface gloss. Hence why someone would use an all-in-one...it's a polish/wax combo for the lazy man