Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

What happens if you get Alcantara too wet when cleaning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
infantrytroop22 is on a distinguished road
What happens if you get Alcantara too wet when cleaning?

I recently cleaned by Alcantara steering wheel in my Cayman S using Autoglym interior shampoo (I sprayed it on a rag, wiped my steering wheel and then used another wet rag to wipe the wheel again). I tried not to get the Alcantara too wet, as I read that it could damage it, but the wheel was moderately wet once I finished cleaning it (it definitely felt pretty wet). I was wondering what the harm is in getting Alcantara too wet. Would it cause some type of damage immediately, or would it cause damage that would be noticed over time?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 AM
ranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to behold
You can wash alcantara in a washing machine. You can't get it too wet.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 AM
infantrytroop22 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranger5oh
You can wash alcantara in a washing machine. You can't get it too wet.
I also read that. It's weird...some say do not get it too wet, others say you can put in in a washing machine. Hmmm...

Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
A piece of Alcantara fabric can be machine washed (gentle wash cycle) but bear in mind you are not dealing with a piece of fabric but automotive upholstery(mental picture someone trying to put car seat into washing machine)

Alcantara®

Identifying characteristics these materials are very soft to the touch and will scratch or scuff very easily
The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will darken the surface and will remain dark and may leave a water mark after drying.

Absorbency rate –Very High

Alcantara® Ultra suede™, Ecsaine, Micro suede, etc) are not types of leather but are in fact in synthetic materials, it is made from extremely fine polyester micro fibres (68% polyester and 32% urethane) it has the appearance and tactile feel similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such.
Often a ‘worn’ Alcantara ® covering is caused by the nap becoming flattened, in most cases the wheel covering can be revived simply by cleaning with the correct chemicals and using a napping brush. As a general rule when cleaning Alcantara ®, etc you should only to use products specifically designed for this type of fabric. Avoid using a product designed for cleaning leather. It's also important to do a patch test before cleaning any fabric to make sure the colour or integrity of the fabric won't be damaged. To do this, apply your cleaning product to an inconspicuous area to see what the effect will be.

Use a napping brush to raise the pile and loosen / separate the fibres. Remove pilling with a single-sided razor blade and then apply a suitable cleaning solution on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (do not over-wet the fabric) and do not use wet steam.

Localized stains can be treated with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) ensure surface is dry before use by leaving window cracked/open or SONAX NTS7 Upholstery Cleanerfor BMW, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz Alcantara materials. Avoid alcohol, strong solvents or spirit based cleaners (particularly perchloroethyene and trichlorethylene). When cleaning a surface with finished leather / Alcantara, tape of the Alcantara to avoid cross contamination by products.

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-21-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22
I recently cleaned by Alcantara steering wheel in my Cayman S using Autoglym interior shampoo (I sprayed it on a rag, wiped my steering wheel and then used another wet rag to wipe the wheel again). I tried not to get the Alcantara too wet, as I read that it could damage it, but the wheel was moderately wet once I finished cleaning it (it definitely felt pretty wet). I was wondering what the harm is in getting Alcantara too wet. Would it cause some type of damage immediately, or would it cause damage that would be noticed over time?
Not a huge deal if you get it too wet. You won't know how clean alcantara is until it dries. Since it's a synthetic fabric, it's a bit more durable then leather. There are some cases where the material is worn down due to contact over time. For example, the area where you hold the steering wheel often.

Best way to prevent premature wearing is to clean the fabric to get the dirt and oils from your hands out of the fabric. You're using an excellent product, AG Interior Shampoo/Cleaner. We've been using this on alcantara for many years. Hope this answers your question.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
slykmr is on a distinguished road
Moe anymore tips on cleaning alcantara? Do you sell the products? Just picked up a new car will full suede interior and not famililar with products or techniques. Think I contacted you about micro fiber cloths before hence why i asked if you sell this product. Thanks

Last edited by slykmr; 02-16-2013 at 03:08 PM.