Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help! Ink Stain on Ivory Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Help! Ink Stain on Ivory Console

I've got what looks like a black ballpoint pen mark on the driver's side of the ivory console (about an inch long) of my Jaguar, and I can't get it off.

I can't be sure that the mark didn't come from a gel pen because I didn't cause it (car was at the dealer last week, so you can guess how it got there). But it's definitely too thin to be from a Sharpie.

The console appears to be plastic covered in a textured soft vinyl. So far, I tried to following:

• Goo Gone
  • Mr. Clean
  • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
  • Armorall Interior Cleaner
  • Blue Coral Interior Cleaner
  • 3M Adhesive Remover
  • Hide Stick
  • Alcohol prep pad (70% isopropyl alcohol).
The stain looks a bit lighter now (more like a light blue than black).

I've seen suggestions about using the following products on the internet:
  • WD40
  • Hairspray
  • Nail polish remover with acetone
  • Windex
  • Cooking spray.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Long Islander; 08-22-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Dang...you listed most of what I would have tried. There is a product called Spot-Shot, which is a stain remover that claims it will remove most anything inlcuding marker...on carpet. I am not certain how it would do on vinyl. I would have bet money on the 3M adhesive remover.

Good luck with it and let us know if you find a miracle cure.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 PM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
If it is ink Acetone may be your best bet, but I am not sure what it will do to the vinyl. I would skip nailpolish remover and go right for pure acetone, nailpolish remover is likely to have other additives that are only going to make it more risky. Dampen a small section of a clean white cloth and slowly blot the stained section.

Obviously I would give the caveat of testing in an inconspicuous area before you go after the stain. I would also be careful not to oversaturate the material. Acetone works wonders when trying to clean glue and adhesives, and my have the unintended side effect of releasing the glue behind the vinyl and causing it to come loose if you soak through the material.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Don’t use solvents on vinyl, you’ll dry out the plastizers and may cause the material to delaminate

Most ink removal products are designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened

With the above in mind try Leather Master™ Ink Remover this biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-23-2012 at 02:18 AM.