Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

issue with convertible top. expert opinion needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
issue with convertible top. expert opinion needed

Just picked up my 2012 tts and noticed the top has a minor flaw as depicted. I'm not sure if something rubbed up against it or if its a dropping but it has a sticky feel to it. The only thing I've tried is plain water and rubbing it lightly with my finger.

I've ordered raggtop cleaner and protectant but wanted to see if anyone knows a way to fix it?

Attached Images  

Last edited by C4SxM5; 05-13-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Sorry if pic quality isn't too good. Just have my i5 currently.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	null_zpsede1e932.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	826.4 KB
ID:	242158  

Last edited by C4SxM5; 05-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Bird Excrement - this product will remove it without damage to both vinyl and cloth it will not harm its water repellence. Poop-Off Bird Poop Remover is a non-toxic, biodegradable, active enzyme formula that removes droppings and residues composed of all types of avian diets including, seeds, fruit, nuts, meat, vegetables, nectar, bugs and grains. Originally a marine product, it will not harm the tops water repellence

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Convertible (Roadster) Top Detailing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/138238-convertible-roadster-top-detailing.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the info. From google what you recommend I found this at my local petco but to be honest I don't think it's bird poop as much as I wish it was. One thing that makes me doubt its bird poop is it becomes somewhat sticker when in the sun like some top layer of the fabric is missing and now the rubber part of it is exposed. Hope that makes sense.

I will give the bird poop bottle a try since its something I can pick up locally but I just want some confirmation it won't make my top fade in the spot or anything. Is there a hidden spot on our tops that we can try which is hidden?
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Bird Excrement - this product will remove it without damage to both vinyl and cloth it will not harm its water repellence. Poop-Off Bird Poop Remover is a non-toxic, biodegradable, active enzyme formula that removes droppings and residues composed of all types of avian diets including, seeds, fruit, nuts, meat, vegetables, nectar, bugs and grains. Originally a marine product, it will not harm the tops water repellence

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Convertible (Roadster) Top Detailing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/138238-convertible-roadster-top-detailing.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.

Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
My other 'guess ( sometimes its hard to identify 'stains' from a verbal description)would be bee pollen and the same product will safely remove it also

Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM
thanks for the assistance TOGWT. if something rubbed up against the top would it give that type look? my thoughts are something impacted the top causing the outer layer to be damaged but would that explain the sticky feeling?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Could be tree sap or gum. Maybe it was cleaned before.

I would use car wash with a soft brush to lightly work it in. Hose off with water

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Can you take a more wide shot?

This is a common problem on all porsche cabs. It's rubbing from the fram of the cab top and there's some oil or grease underneath that is coming to the top. Porsche considers it a normal "wear" item. You may want to check with your dealer. Glad you finally found a 997 TT Cab...is it white?

Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Is mark on driver side basically near where b-pillar (if there were one) would intersect w/ roof? If so, I have a similar one on mine.

At first I suspected it was grease from a hinge-point underneath but turns out it's being caused by a break down/wearing of cloth [gaffers] tape wrapped around a harness in the layers of top (becomes exposed about 4" before top completely folds for storage). Haven't had a chance yet to re-wrap or secure in a way to prevent rubbing when storing top but looking into shortly and will let you know.

In the mean time (please note I have a light colored top: stone grey) I've had success cleaning the blemish (and re-cleaning when necessary) to about 98% by spot lifting w/ a rag soaked in denatured alcohol. Not recommending it to anyone but it was the least invasive method I found to work (soap, raggtop cleaner, etc. were all ineffective). YMMV so make certain you test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous spot before hitting a visible area.

Good luck

Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Moe
Please see attached pic but it sounds like what Berg is referring too. This is my first P cab so am quite surprise it's the Norm for a p car and isn't covered under warranty. I really thought something rubbed against it during transport but guess not.

Thanks again for the info and yes it's a white cab

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	244526  
Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Another pic

Attached Images  

Last edited by C4SxM5; 05-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
Moe
Please see attached pic but it sounds like what Berg is referring too. This is my first P cab so am quite surprise it's the Norm for a p car and isn't covered under warranty. I really thought something rubbed against it during transport but guess not.

Thanks again for the info and yes it's a white cab
Yup...perfectly common on the porsche cabs. I think it's a design flaw and should be addressed, hopefully done so on 991. Best you can do is manage it. We like to clean the top with 303 conv top cleaner and protect it with 303 fab guard. You may also have good luck using the renovo dye.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
damn that sucks. i have a good relationship with my dealer so will give it a try at the next visit. the car only has 9000 and is a 2012 so hard to believe its a wear item...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by C4SxM5
damn that sucks. i have a good relationship with my dealer so will give it a try at the next visit. the car only has 9000 and is a 2012 so hard to believe its a wear item...
Yes. Give it a try. I've had several clients try and warranty it, so it's hit and miss

Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM
kcheves is on a distinguished road
Just found this thread. I recently bought a 2009 C2S, and have a white spot above the driver side B-pillar exactly as shown in the photos posted by C4SxM5. I also have the exact same symptoms - the spot becomes soft and oozy after sitting in the sun. I've been able to spot clean with Raggtopp cleaner, but the problem comes back and I'm concerned that I'm going to damage the top if I keep working it.

If this is coming up through the top due to a poorly wrapped wiring harness, it is a relief, as I should be able to address the underlying problem and then fix the cosmetic damage. I have a well known Porsche top/interior shop near me (Autos International), and I'm going to have them take a look at this. I'll report back on what I find.

Last edited by kcheves; 06-23-2014 at 06:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: issue with convertible top. expert opinion needed