Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

California Car Duster..Good or Bad for the Paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
California Car Duster..Good or Bad for the Paint?

I've never used one..Will it scratch my paint?

I'm just looking for something to wipe off the dust that accumulates after a brief cruise.

Thanks

J

Old 02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
This is really a toss up, some pros use it, some say they never will. Me personally, I use it on my hot rod esp. at outdoor shows where it'll get dirty quick. I find this to be a good tool, but you can't use it if the car is too dirty, I've only washed my GTO 1 time w/ water so far, since it's parked out doors every other day i'm out there w/ my duster and a bottle of QD to clean it up after that.

If you get a new duster, wrap it in newspaper and store it for a week or so, everyday put fresh paper on it to help absorb the excess oils in the duster that will streak your paint.

A weird rule of thumb for these things, the dirtier they get, the better they work.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
This is really a toss up, some pros use it, some say they never will. Me personally, I use it on my hot rod esp. at outdoor shows where it'll get dirty quick. I find this to be a good tool, but you can't use it if the car is too dirty, I've only washed my GTO 1 time w/ water so far, since it's parked out doors every other day i'm out there w/ my duster and a bottle of QD to clean it up after that.

If you get a new duster, wrap it in newspaper and store it for a week or so, everyday put fresh paper on it to help absorb the excess oils in the duster that will streak your paint.

A weird rule of thumb for these things, the dirtier they get, the better they work.
Thanks HRG!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:25 PM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb car duster

on dark colored cars, fine scratches are the price you will pay. the parrafin wax will not lubricate the finish enough, light colored finishes in the sun won't show as many scratches, however under flourecent lights you will see microsratches, hot rod guy is right, there is a fine line from being able to use a quick detailer( poorboys, meguiares last touch ect... and having to wash the car.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
Use only the weight of the duster (don't press down) static electricity will help in picking up most of the fine dust.

Oh, I see you have a Diaper, er I mean a Viper. In that case 180 grit sandpaper will effectively remove the dust.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Doctor K
Oh, I see you have a Diaper, er I mean a Viper. In that case 180 grit sandpaper will effectively remove the dust.
There's always one ******** in the crowd

Auto Concierge thanks for the constructive feedback!

J

Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Would it be better to use a detail spray instead of the duster?

Old 02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Don't use the detail spray on a dusty car, use the cal duster first....very lightly, then the detail spray. Only use the duster to remove dust and pollen....anything else needs a wash.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Dr. T has it on the money

Old 02-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I have never been a fan of the CA Duster. It dosn't make much sense to me when it gets dirtier, it gets better. How can more dirt and microscopic rocks clean your paint better. As for dusting, it should only be done after a run to Crystal Cove or something of that nature. Not after your car has been driven from work and home for a few days and now you want to get most of the dirt off. As for duster of choice, we use Zymol's Natural Wool Duster. We use this at Pebble Beach after the cars come on the field. It's great. You create static electricity by rubbing the wool with your hands and then touch the tip of the fibers to the finish to attract the superficial dust. If anyone is interested for more info, please PM me or visit http://www.glisteningperfection.com/products2.php and look for the duster down the page. I don't usually post my own site for products, but I cannot tell you how misleading certain products are and the damge it could cause to your precious automobiles. I promise you guys will love the duster. I hope this helps guys.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I use it on black...It works great and the dirtier the better. Make sure you prep it before you use it, but after that it is fantastic...after a dusting you can use the detail sprays. My CA duster has never scratched the paint and I'm OCD.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
TCM
TCM will become famous soon enough
I agree with the above posts. I will use the duster when the car has a coat of dust on it (when sitting for a couple days in the garage for example). But never after driving it on the road and getting road dirt on the paint. It will scrsatch if you pick up road debris in the fibres.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 AM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb cal duster, wipedown procedures

for those of you who do not have the time, or want to cause the least amount of micro scratches, here is what i do. this is a daily procedure, first use a quick detailer of your choice and LIGHTLY wipe down the paint, then repeat this step with de-inozed or distilled water. the water will remove any steaking the quick detailer causes, especially when the ambient temp is warm to hot, remember there is a fine line of doing this step and washing the car, because most people wash thier car wrong, and with a dark colored paint this will cause scratching, and before anyone askes " why not just use water ", the quick detailer will lubcricate the paint better when there is dust and dirt on the paint.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:16 PM
996fury is on a distinguished road
I agree with all of the above.

Only use it for dust when it has been sitting in the garage; not after driving
Don't press down hard

I prefer to just wash it daily, but that's just me

Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Don't risk it. If you must get "dust" off the car use a shop vac or leaf blower.
Anything that stays on after that needs to be washed the old fashion way. IMO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: California Car Duster..Good or Bad for the Paint?