Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
Halo,
I can't argue with results that that! I will have to try the 3m Swirl remover.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
eric77 is on a distinguished road
halo, great results, but that is a very biased comparison. You are comparing zaino, a sealant, against an abrasive polish and a carnauba wax. A more accurate comparison would be to apply zaino to a prepped surface and then apply p21s to a similarly prepped surface. The results will be too similar to be able to discern the difference from photos. However, in person zaino would have more shine and p21s more depth, but only a very observant individual would notice the difference. Those pics simply show how the final finish is 90% in the prep.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
i agree w/ eric. too many times waxes, glazes, polishes are misused and their results not accurate. The only way to see which product works is to keep the comparison equal. I can easily machine polish a car and then apply a wax and say that wax is the best. To truly be unbiased, the prep work and techniques need to be the same and then you can truly find out which wax is truly the best. By the way, there is no best wax. Each particular situation will require a different wax and waxes perform differently based on paint composition and many other factors.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Mezerna Final Polish II and Pinnacle Soverign! I have tried all of the stuff that you guys have mentioned above and these 2 products reign supreme on black and metallic dark cars. 3M swirl mark remover, 3M hand glaze, and P21S are a close 2nd. I have never been impressed with Zymol or Zaino. In fact, Zaino does nothing for black cars. It has absolutely no abrasives in it so there is no possible way that you can "remove" swirls with it. At best, you can hide some of them for a little while. The only way and the safest way to remove swirls is to use a random orbit like the Porter Cable unit and a fine polish with diminishing abrasives. Of course some of your nastier swirls will require a direct orbital polisher which is something you should not even consider unless you are very experienced with one.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Halo is on a distinguished road
I just did my brothers car yesterday...who is the total oppisite of me being 9 years apart. We washed with dish soap, dried the car and took the before shots....after shots, well.....are after..the 3M+P21s Combo "useing a high speed buffer at 1400 rpm. Car is a 2004 Lexus.

To show you I am not cheating using photography, I focused on the car's reflector on the "after shot" and not the houses in the back....it would have been realy clear if I would have done that, but I want people to focus on the "surface of the paint". Notice the fine scratches bottom left of the "B" in before.
[/quote]

Old 07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
WillisW555 is on a distinguished road
Consumer reports had an article on the best waxes. We tried their 'top pick' Black Magic (I think) and I'm happy with the results. Although the directions stated to apply and buff off in the shade, it needed some warmth from the sun in order for it to wipe off though.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
eric77 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Mezerna Final Polish II and Pinnacle Soverign! I have tried all of the stuff that you guys have mentioned above and these 2 products reign supreme on black and metallic dark cars. 3M swirl mark remover, 3M hand glaze, and P21S are a close 2nd. I have never been impressed with Zymol or Zaino. In fact, Zaino does nothing for black cars. It has absolutely no abrasives in it so there is no possible way that you can "remove" swirls with it. At best, you can hide some of them for a little while. The only way and the safest way to remove swirls is to use a random orbit like the Porter Cable unit and a fine polish with diminishing abrasives. Of course some of your nastier swirls will require a direct orbital polisher which is something you should not even consider unless you are very experienced with one.
FPII and souveran is a great combo. YOu should try mixing the FPII with some clearkot red moose machine glaze and I think you will find the results are even more impressive.

BTW, I personally dont like zaino on blacks because it is all shine and has no depth. However, it should not be discredited because it has no abrasives. Zaino z5 and z2 are sealants and nothing more. Why they call it a polish I have no idea; however, they do make an abrasive polish called z-pc. Z5 and z2 are too often compared to true abrasive polishes when they should be compared to sealants and waxes.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by eric77
FPII and souveran is a great combo. YOu should try mixing the FPII with some clearkot red moose machine glaze and I think you will find the results are even more impressive.

BTW, I personally dont like zaino on blacks because it is all shine and has no depth. However, it should not be discredited because it has no abrasives. Zaino z5 and z2 are sealants and nothing more. Why they call it a polish I have no idea; however, they do make an abrasive polish called z-pc. Z5 and z2 are too often compared to true abrasive polishes when they should be compared to sealants and waxes.
Agreed 100%!

Old 07-15-2006, 12:16 PM
c4bliss will become famous soon enoughc4bliss will become famous soon enough
Tried the P21S last night on my black coupe. Goes on reallly nice, and not to tough to get off at all. Very glossy but since it was getting dark ill have to finish today. Generally im a zaino guy... but you guys raving about P21 for black cars..

Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c4bliss
Tried the P21S last night on my black coupe. Goes on reallly nice, and not to tough to get off at all. Very glossy but since it was getting dark ill have to finish today. Generally im a zaino guy... but you guys raving about P21 for black cars..
it's the ticket