Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

F1 Transmission - Differences between F355 and F360?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is on a distinguished road
F1 Transmission - Differences between F355 and F360?

Can someone educate me on the differences between the F1 transmissions of the F355 and the F360? Particular years to avoid, common issues, so on and so forth.

TIA

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Maciej@RPM
Can someone educate me on the differences between the F1 transmissions of the F355 and the F360? Particular years to avoid, common issues, so on and so forth.

TIA
The systems are very similar and the 355 was the first with the F1. It was, in reality, a poorly tested system prior to it's introduction.

The major differences are the software and the hydraulic pump.

The 360 is a bit better than the 355 system but not by much, and that's due to the software.

The F1 on the 355 can be very troublesome and extremely expensive to repair if the hydraulic pump goes South-$10K+!

I would honestly avoid all years of 355 F1. That is late 97, 98, & 99.

On the 360, the 2002 F1 had seen considerable improvements but still not something with which I'd want to deal!

If your checkbook does not have considerable extra change, stay away from the F1 especially on the 355.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Ya know im a big advocate of F1 transmissions - i love em! My e46 M3 had SMG and while most people dislike SMG to me it was the best transmission ive ever had

When buying the Ferrari, F1 would've been my top choice... that is - until now which ive had some serious time behind the wheel of my 360 and the amazing 6-speed - it truly is the BEST manual tranmission ive ever driven... period

It's so good, that in fact, although i can not be certain, i believe the F1 would lose something - im sure the car would still be amazing, but have the 6-speed is a beautiful thing in this car

btw Gcalo - trans fluid changed - nice improvment!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
Ya know im a big advocate of F1 transmissions - i love em! My e46 M3 had SMG and while most people dislike SMG to me it was the best transmission ive ever had

When buying the Ferrari, F1 would've been my top choice... that is - until now which ive had some serious time behind the wheel of my 360 and the amazing 6-speed - it truly is the BEST manual tranmission ive ever driven... period

It's so good, that in fact, although i can not be certain, i believe the F1 would lose something - im sure the car would still be amazing, but have the 6-speed is a beautiful thing in this car

btw Gcalo - trans fluid changed - nice improvment!
Due to my recent motorcycle accident it looks like I wont be able to drive manual for a very VERY long time if ever at all due to the soft tissue and ligament damage in my ankle as well as the fracture dislocation.

I'm anticipating picking up an E46 M3 in SMG eventually in a couple of months.

I was planning on eventually picking up an F355 or F360 to do a custom twin turbo setup and just thinking about the car I want to pick up to do it.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
---Due to my recent motorcycle accident it looks like I wont be able to drive manual for a very VERY long time
At your present age I'd suggest you wait until you get to the point that you can actually afford the car. That will give you cure time as well.

Bear in mind that by that time the 355 F1 system will have substantially aged to the point that it may not be reliable.

What's the rush? At your age I was preparing for college! You should do the same.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
M3 Maniac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gcalo
What's the rush? At your age I was preparing for college! You should do the same.
I agree. Finish school before making a purchase like that.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
dsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud ofdsu* has much to be proud of
if u dun mind me askin...how old are u? preparing for college... like 17/18?

If so, that's crazi... how do u afford a car like that?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dsu*
if u dun mind me askin...how old are u? preparing for college... like 17/18?

If so, that's crazi... how do u afford a car like that?
Although I never mentioned anything about college or anything akin to that, I'm 19, just like it says on my profile.

I wouldn't purchase either the F355 or the F360 anytime soon because I'd prefer to be more financially set before I'd make a purchase like that. Due to my motorcycle accident eventually when I'm permitted to drive again I'm picking up an E46 M3 in SMG and planning what I want to do from there.

A close acquaintance of mine completed an F360 with a twin GT35R setup with the F1 transmission I've just been curious as to whether or not there were specific years that could withstand abuse more so due to updates etc.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
I'd be afraid of F1 on any car, even the f430 man if that thing breaks it'll kill your wallet. BMW's SMG F1 systems have been scaring a lot of people away on the used car market for the same reason.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by rmani
I'd be afraid of F1 on any car, even the f430 man if that thing breaks it'll kill your wallet. BMW's SMG F1 systems have been scaring a lot of people away on the used car market for the same reason.
Well if a person purchases an F430 I'm sure that if the F1 system failed it would be due to the F1 pump which would be covered under warranty, now if its the clutch itself fails thats due to the person not knowing how to drive with the system.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Well if a person purchases an F430 I'm sure that if the F1 system failed it would be due to the F1 pump which would be covered under warranty, now if its the clutch itself fails thats due to the person not knowing how to drive with the system.
Poor assumption for both statements.

The 430 F1 improvements were designed partially to overcome both of these issues. However, the issues do still exist.

And, not every 430 sold is still now under warranty!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 PM
carreralemans is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking about buying Ferrari (355 or 430) or Lamborghini (gallardo). I drove all the cars with F1 system and....
Lamborghini (2006) is my 1st choice.
My dad is a Ferrari owner(Dino). He told me to stay with a manual shift.
I'm going to test drive 430( 6speeds ) and see what happen.....
THANK YOU FOR THE F1 INFO.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned
<Maciej> is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carreralemans
I'm thinking about buying Ferrari (355 or 430) or Lamborghini (gallardo). I drove all the cars with F1 system and....
Lamborghini (2006) is my 1st choice.
My dad is a Ferrari owner(Dino). He told me to stay with a manual shift.
I'm going to test drive 430( 6speeds ) and see what happen.....
THANK YOU FOR THE F1 INFO.
You need to go to our next meet, (don't know the date, need to be cleared by my ortho to see if I can stay out for that amount of time, but you'll definitely enjoy it, we do routes through the twisties etc, its pretty sweet).

But yeah it seems like the Gallardo is the best way to go, I've found e-gear's going for $110k-$130k give or take.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by carreralemans
---My dad is a Ferrari owner(Dino). He told me to stay with a manual shift.---
Your Dad gave you good advice.

F1 is a neat system but needs more maturation in my opinion! It's better on the 430's but who cares about short shift times? I want long term reliability!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned
<Maciej> is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gcalo
Your Dad gave you good advice.

F1 is a neat system but needs more maturation in my opinion! It's better on the 430's but who cares about short shift times? I want long term reliability!
In my situation it isn't as much about the short shift times as it is that I physically won't be able to drive manual due to the injuries on my left foot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F1 Transmission - Differences between F355 and F360?