Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

360 F1 trans VS> 6 speed manual what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
360 F1 trans VS> 6 speed manual what to do?

What are the positives and negatives of the 360 F1 versus the 6speed manual?

Seems like people are strongly for F1 and strongly for 6speed manual with no-one in the middle.

Anyone who has driven both recently that can lay out the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
Do people like the F1 because it make its easy for anyone & everyone to drive?
Do the clutches in the F1 wear out quickly and cost alot to replace?
With the F1 automatic can you blip the thottle at will or does it do it for you on downshifts automatically?
Which trans would be better suited for a 360 SPIDER?
Is the F1 trans ever LAZY like the Porsche Tiptronic trans?............is the F1 and the Tiptronic comparable in performance?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old 10-16-2004, 06:23 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is on a distinguished road
I'll take a shot at the question,

I am sure that people like the F1 transmission because it is a new technology, and it does make the car easier for everyone to drive, and maybe the people that buy Ferrari's can't drive stick.

Yes the F1 transmission automatically blips the throttle on down****s, and the F1 transmission is not as lazy as the Tiptronic, because it is a manual transmission converted to an automatic i.e. BMW SMG, not just a true automatic like the tiptronic with a torque converter.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Doody is on a distinguished road
you might want to post this over at http://www.ferrarichat.com

Do people like the F1 because it make its easy for anyone & everyone to drive?
note that it's generally a faster shift than you can do on your own. that's one of the big benefits the factory touts.

Do the clutches in the F1 wear out quickly and cost alot to replace?
everything costs a lot to replace

there's not a ton of empirical data on whether or not the average F1 f-car clutch wears out faster than a comparable 6speed f-car clutch.

there certainly are stories of people blowing F1 clutches in minimal time, but you can abuse them too - just like manual clutches.

With the F1 automatic can you blip the thottle at will
not unless you put it into neutral first - but it'd purely be for entertainment value.

Which trans would be better suited for a 360 SPIDER?
whichever you prefer. neither is better or worse for a particular f-car.

Is the F1 trans ever LAZY
no no. not at all. the tiptronic stinks.

is the F1 and the Tiptronic comparable in performance?
no, not in speed. and they're completely different mechanisms - one is an auto tranny with a torque tube and the other is a manual six speed with a hydraulic-actuated clutch.

doody.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Doody: Did you get your car yet?

Joe: F1....all the way.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:45 PM
PorscheAddict will become famous soon enough
Talking

I have been going back and forth with this as well. But, I am now sure that I am going with a 6 speed. Simply because I have been driving a stick shift for years and really have enjoyed it, and I don't think I can go wrong with that. But what really made me decide to choose a 6 speed is, my wife will never ask to borrow it because she doesn't know how. I guess that makes me selfish. . The best answer that I have gotten from others is, test drive an F1 and see if you like it. That way you know the pros and cons. I didn't choose to do this simply because my wife will definately choose the F1! . Good luck, it's not an easy question to answer.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
I have owned two Spiders, one manual and the other, F1. The F1 was a 2004 version. Prior to owning the Spider's, I had a 996 Cab. manual.

The difference in driving each is night and day. The manual requires constant movement of various parts of your body both legs and arms. There is total involvement in movements to achieve peak performance regarding engine, braking and steering. There is no room for error and it can become tedious in traffic. If your idea of fun is working your legs and arms while you drive then maunual is for you.

The F1 is designed for totally involvement in driving and not moving body parts. Your entire focus is on steering, speed and braking. The paddles along with the computerized clutch allow total immersion in performance driving which typically for 99% of the drivers faster times around the track. Downshifting, upshifting, braking is pure joy because you nailed each every time.

I will never go back to manual. The F1 is a sheer delight to drive slow, fast and competitively fast. No matter the setting, the F1 out shines the manual IMO in every performance category. However if exercising your legs and arms while you drive is important to you then the F1 is not for you.

Once Porsche comes out with their version I predict after a couple of years the majority of Porsche buyers will go with the F1 type tranny.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:16 AM
thom is on a distinguished road
When I ordered my '02 Modena I asked for the 6 speed for two reasons.

1.) It was/is my first Ferrari and I wanted the gated shifter and, 2.) It was $10,000. cheaper.

The brake pedal in the Ferrari is rock solid and stays that way. I've got seven full track days on my car and I'm on the second set of pads and it's still rock solid--this makes heal and toe a real rewarding experience.

Having said that, the F1 transmission is amazing. It is a must have in a race car--the Challange, Stradale and Enzo are not available in manual.

I''m on the list for an F430 and want the F1 since I've already had the 6 speed.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:47 AM
fwiw, there's some non-scientific data floating around out in the ether that says that the F1 clutches die about 40% faster than the 6 Speed clutches.

but like a standard 6 speed, you can drive an F1 "wrong" and prematurely wear the tranny, so it's tough to make the comparison.

again, fwiw,
doody.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:20 PM
911 X50 is on a distinguished road
how do you know if you are driving it wrong?

Old 10-27-2004, 07:59 PM
uh, you mean other than the horrible burning clutch smell and the smoke?

doody.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
360 Joey is on a distinguished road
What would be a good year to buy a 360?

what wouild be a good year to buy a 360?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
tlr
tlr is on a distinguished road
I drove one a 360 with the F1 transmission a few weeks ago. Compared to my M3's DCT it felt like it shifted verrrry slowly. Of course the F1 isn't DCT.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM
henryr will become famous soon enoughhenryr will become famous soon enough
i think it all depends on how long your going to keep the car..... i have an f1. it technology and will date itself.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Mattyrae will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 360 Joey
what wouild be a good year to buy a 360?
I would try and get a 2002 or newer because the TCU or Transmission Control Unit can be flashed with the newest software, such as in the 2004 or 2005. The shifts are smoother and faster. 2001 or earlier you would have to replace the TCU which is over 4k now, used to be less than 2k. Buy the nicest 2002 or newer you can afford with service records and all books, tools, and all remotes and keys you can afford. Send me a PM if you want any more help.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
CliffClavin is on a distinguished road
Holy thread bump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 360 F1 trans VS> 6 speed manual what to do?