Notices
Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

any "regular working guys" own a 360

 
  #16  
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Jasil's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NO
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 13
Jasil is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by huskylawyer View Post
The biggest trick the devil played on humanity was convincing the world that lawyers make a ton of money. I'm still waiting lol...

My motto is as long as you can pay the mortgage, maintain a great credit score, and save a little, live life to the fullest and spend your money on things that make you happy (whether that be cars, charities, travel, whatever).
That's the ticket!!!! I'm a working man wife is a working wife, we max out our 401k, and spend the rest.

I know too many people that have passed away at 44, 50,56,59,64, life can be harsh. Bar any sort of catastrophe the numbers say we will retire at 55, although I doubt she will (I will).

If you can afford it go for it!! Me personally could never own a supercar like a lambo or Ferrari too flashy. I would be paranoid people would mess with it.

I'll take my non exotics cars Porsche, Viper, Z06, GTR, etc.
 
  #17  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The South
Age: 33
Posts: 105
Rep Power: 15
Danger Granger is on a distinguished road
well put redmurci. i am currently workin on getting my ducks in a row by selling my house in houston and gettin a new one where i am at in louisiana now and once i get all that house stuff out of the way there will definately be a new ride in my future. it is very inspirational to see what you guys have accomplished at such young ages as "regular guys". its threads like this why i love this site so much. not only is it an excellent high performance car site but it also has a wealth of financial planning tips and advice. I have learned soooo much since i joined this site!
 
  #18  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
knicks's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 361
Rep Power: 25
knicks will become famous soon enough
ever since i was a freshman in hs my parents promised if i got a full ride to a university they'd give me a year's tuition money towards or to help me get a car of my dreams. 8 years of internships and mowing 3 lawns a weeek i saved enough to put money down on the targa making payments 500 a week, then buying the audi a month later based off the tuition money my parent gave me. all this before 20 .

then theres the bad side of it when i show up to family meetings in my own targa yeah its the first car, i know i wont appreciate a car of lesser value as much but if you had the chance to get one, you'd do it too. I would have saved more for years and bought a ferrari but its too showy for me.
 
  #19  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0
Vernacity is on a distinguished road
I'm 17 and just started my senior year in high school and reading this thread has me really excited about the future for me as a car guy. I have what I'm sure is a common goal for myself, to own an Italian masterpiece by the time i turn 30. It's awesome to see all the support that's out there to go after the car of your dreams and never lose sight of it, and that with sacrifices its possible to achieve that sooner than most people may think. Currently I'm trying to get ideas on how to plan financially so that i can get on the right track ASAP (so anyone with some help for a high school student, a PM about this would be great!). I came to this site mostly to learn and see what's out there in the exotic car world, and I've now seen just how much is out there and possible since joining this site.

Just wanted to throw all that out there, and I'm looking forward to the future and wish to all those seeking their dream cars the best of luck which I hope to have in my life later on
 
  #20  
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
BMoney5327's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central,NJ
Age: 35
Posts: 236
Rep Power: 24
BMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really nice
Okay so Im 25 right now and I just got my own townhouse hmm about a year ago. Use to have my Hummer H3(modded up) parked on the street,my modded 5series in the driveway and my Techart yellow Porsche in the Garage,along with my Honda CBR in the garage also. I use to get looks left and right from my neighbors and asked hey do you own your own car shop or a dealership. I say no I just love cars. Then of course I get the look of if im a drug dealer,Noo heck no. Not a fool to go to jail. I bust my *** and work hard. Yes I financed,brought out,or leased some of my cars but hey as long as you can make the payments and keep up with everything you are good to go! Now im at a point where im trying to obtain my 1st Lamborghini before the age of 30. Ill be 26 next month so I better get going lol. And btw i work 2 jobs that are "regular". Yes I do work in the OR at the hospital but no im not a surg. or doc...I mean hey nurses make good money too! Just my 2cents. Go for what makes ya happy and believe in yourself! Dont listen to other people if they bad mouth ya!
 
  #21  
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM
knicks's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 361
Rep Power: 25
knicks will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BMoney5327 View Post
Okay so Im 25 right now and I just got my own townhouse hmm about a year ago. Use to have my Hummer H3(modded up) parked on the street,my modded 5series in the driveway and my Techart yellow Porsche in the Garage,along with my Honda CBR in the garage also. I use to get looks left and right from my neighbors and asked hey do you own your own car shop or a dealership. I say no I just love cars. Then of course I get the look of if im a drug dealer,Noo heck no. Not a fool to go to jail. I bust my *** and work hard. Yes I financed,brought out,or leased some of my cars but hey as long as you can make the payments and keep up with everything you are good to go! Now im at a point where im trying to obtain my 1st Lamborghini before the age of 30. Ill be 26 next month so I better get going lol. And btw i work 2 jobs that are "regular". Yes I do work in the OR at the hospital but no im not a surg. or doc...I mean hey nurses make good money too! Just my 2cents. Go for what makes ya happy and believe in yourself! Dont listen to other people if they bad mouth ya!
its ridiculous about the drug dealer thing. Every single person sees you driving a porsche and your noticeably young, people label you as a drug dealer. damn, i need more tint
 
  #22  
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
BMoney5327's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central,NJ
Age: 35
Posts: 236
Rep Power: 24
BMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really niceBMoney5327 is just really nice
Union,NJ? Niceee....North Brunswick,NJ here! One of my teams shop is out there...Design Tech.
 
  #23  
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 AM
knicks's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 361
Rep Power: 25
knicks will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BMoney5327 View Post
Union,NJ? Niceee....North Brunswick,NJ here! One of my teams shop is out there...Design Tech.
ive heard of design tech haha but i moved outta there man, you get 10x more stereotypes saying you live in union and driving a targa
 
  #24  
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: sf bay area
Posts: 1,623
Rep Power: 88
cohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud ofcohenfive has much to be proud of
this thread is a great read...

i've enjoyed all the different perspectives on the dream of owing one of these cars at a young age. my perspective is different--i'm older and have full 'baggage' of a family, house payments, huge tuition bills, etc...but really appreciate the thinking. i had a p car at a pretty young age (86 944 turbo) so got that out of my system. my wife was supportive, and we even had a baby seat in the back buckets (it was a tight fit and we had to shop around a lot to find a good seat that could squeeze in there!). i was fortunate (and was in securities trading back then) to be able to do that when i did.

i've always dreamed of owning a porsche twin turbo, and saw a perfect one on here about 6 weeks ago. while i'm still doing ok, things are different now including the desire to be 'less flashy' given current circumstances generally and tuition bills specifically. i talked about it with my wife and she was pretty upset about the statement that car would make, so i passed. i could afford to buy it but now we have more going on that is relevent, so my 8.5 year old m5 soldiers on..

is there a moral to the story--not really, but if you can afford your dream (i mean really afford it) and it fits the image you want to portray, i'd agree with the others and say go for it! life's too short.....my porsche turbo will be there in a few years i hope.
 

Last edited by cohenfive; 09-02-2009 at 08:01 AM.
  #25  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BR
Posts: 324
Rep Power: 24
htran16 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Afroman View Post
its ridiculous about the drug dealer thing. Every single person sees you driving a porsche and your noticeably young, people label you as a drug dealer. damn, i need more tint
the drug dealer thing isnt really ridiculous. I'm not calling anyone a drug dealer but just dont be naive. they could be drug dealers or they have once dealt drugs and used the money to open a legitimate business.
 
  #26  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
GSlider's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,180
Rep Power: 65
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Im a "regular working guy" per say, but my goal isn't an F-car, but a P-car. I really emphasize that you can have whatever you want, as long as your family and priorities come first. I say that because I know a few guys that have put their families second to own a "fast, cool ride". They live in apt's that are crap, and concentrate all their time/efforts/money on a car. While it works for them, I just cant see the justification in putting their families and priorities second.
 
  #27  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 PM
ZZinger's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Leesburg Va
Age: 42
Posts: 381
Rep Power: 29
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
Wink

For all you young guys out there make sure you get your priorities straight. I too am in love with cars but it is most important to have a home firstEspecially now real estate is a great investment long term, prices are great. I am a 31 years old and have had many exotics but through the past 7 years I have made moves in real estate and have made a lot of money on each home I have owned. Cars depreciate,and fast, so be careful Example, I know a friend that has an M6 and lives with his parents.... not cool. I know its hard to do but use the cash for a down payment on a house first....smarter move long term
 
  #28  
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Drachefeuer's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 17
Drachefeuer will become famous soon enough
To the original poster, you've done a fantastic job managing your income and expenses. You set out to accomplish a goal and will achieve it shortly. Good on you!
 
  #29  
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Auctung's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 398
Rep Power: 39
Auctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud ofAuctung has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ZZinger View Post
For all you young guys out there make sure you get your priorities straight. I too am in love with cars but it is most important to have a home firstEspecially now real estate is a great investment long term, prices are great. I am a 31 years old and have had many exotics but through the past 7 years I have made moves in real estate and have made a lot of money on each home I have owned. Cars depreciate,and fast, so be careful Example, I know a friend that has an M6 and lives with his parents.... not cool. I know its hard to do but use the cash for a down payment on a house first....smarter move long term

I couldnt disagree more with everything you have to say.
First, I bought my Lambo when I was living at home at 22 and only kick myslef for not doing it sooner. I now own my own home and it is by far the dumbest thing I ever did. I NEVER wanted to be a home owner, but when prices tanked I bought a home at a great price in a nice prentious pompous neighborhood in the "rich" area of town. I also bought probulay the worst house in the neighborhood so Im surrounded by snobs whos main focus in their life is keeping up with the Jones and entire self worth seems to be on showing up each other homes while I couldnt give two ****s about my own, and boy do they love that
as far as "investment" thats a huge joke. Getting past the equity thing vs throwing your money away with an apt, you are throwing even more away with a home. Property tax, when you need a new roof, when the AC ****s out, when the fridge takes a crap, when the sump pump goes bad, when the toilet backs up, maintance on the lawn, tress, shrubs, etc., painting the house, HOA dues, and on and on and on and on some more. Its an endless money pit, then when you work all week to pay the mortgage you get to work all weekend keeping the house clean, mowing the lawn, making it look nice like the neighbors etc. A home slowly kills your soul, a car may depreciate, but the joy and passion it fills you with is something you can never put a price on.

Further more, great you bought a say 400k home and after so many years its now worth 550k. You sell it to "move up", but all the homes you want to move up to have now gone up in value too, on top of that after all your prop taxes and endless expenses what ever is left now goes to the realitor and her 6-7% commission, so you either lost money or made next to nothing for all your risk, time, effort, etc.
In the end you should only own a home if you abosultly must (such as a large family) or it is your passion and you know what youre in for.

spend your money on cars if thats what makes you happy, dont follow anyones BS rules of how to live your life.

I made the best of it by getting roomies, so ALL of my expenses are covered and I can go back to putting all my funds towars more cars
next up a CGT, and that may be here next month
now isnt that more fun than wasting your life to have glorified place to eat, sleep, and poop?

btw, all my neighbors think Im a drug dealer too, and Im for real about that. A friend of mine is friends with a lady in the next neighborhood over and told him how they all talk in detail about me being one
or Im a "rich daddys boy"
I couldnt give two ****s less, I just let them think what they want
 

Last edited by Auctung; 09-20-2009 at 11:22 AM.
  #30  
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 AM
IUkid's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 240
Rep Power: 29
IUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Auctung View Post
I couldnt disagree more with everything you have to say.
First, I bought my Lambo when I was living at home at 22 and only kick myslef for not doing it sooner. I now own my own home and it is by far the dumbest thing I ever did. I NEVER wanted to be a home owner, but when prices tanked I bought a home at a great price in a nice prentious pompous neighborhood in the "rich" area of town. I also bought probulay the worst house in the neighborhood so Im surrounded by snobs whos main focus in their life is keeping up with the Jones and entire self worth seems to be on showing up each other homes while I couldnt give two ****s about my own, and boy do they love that
as far as "investment" thats a huge joke. Getting past the equity thing vs throwing your money away with an apt, you are throwing even more away with a home. Property tax, when you need a new roof, when the AC ****s out, when the fridge takes a crap, when the sump pump goes bad, when the toilet backs up, maintance on the lawn, tress, shrubs, etc., painting the house, HOA dues, and on and on and on and on some more. Its an endless money pit, then when you work all week to pay the mortgage you get to work all weekend keeping the house clean, mowing the lawn, making it look nice like the neighbors etc. A home slowly kills your soul, a car may depreciate, but the joy and passion it fills you with is something you can never put a price on.

Further more, great you bought a say 400k home and after so many years its now worth 550k. You sell it to "move up", but all the homes you want to move up to have now gone up in value too, on top of that after all your prop taxes and endless expenses what ever is left now goes to the realitor and her 6-7% commission, so you either lost money or made next to nothing for all your risk, time, effort, etc.
In the end you should only own a home if you abosultly must (such as a large family) or it is your passion and you know what youre in for.

spend your money on cars if thats what makes you happy, dont follow anyones BS rules of how to live your life.

I made the best of it by getting roomies, so ALL of my expenses are covered and I can go back to putting all my funds towars more cars
next up a CGT, and that may be here next month
now isnt that more fun than wasting your life to have glorified place to eat, sleep, and poop?

btw, all my neighbors think Im a drug dealer too, and Im for real about that. A friend of mine is friends with a lady in the next neighborhood over and told him how they all talk in detail about me being one
or Im a "rich daddys boy"
I couldnt give two ****s less, I just let them think what they want
Going back and fourth between a house and a dream car recently, I like the way you think.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: any "regular working guys" own a 360


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.