Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Can I buy a ferrari?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Tristan is on a distinguished road
If you do end up buying one and you live near brisbane please stop by and give me a ride!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
JoeyM will become famous soon enough
buy it.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Yani can only hope to improve
Real estate will appreciate, car depreciate but life is too short so do what will make you happy

Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by addbe
Lee, I'll consider your suggestions seriously. I have a 911 Carrera and I don't know what ferrari feels like. Thank you.

At least drive one first. You may decide that you don't like it (I can't imagine that but you never know).

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM
cromski is on a distinguished road
Hi addbe,

My recommendation to you is to sell all of your Australian real estate ASAP. That market is ridiculously over valued. Prices there have reached levels much higher then what happened in the U.S before collapse. Household debt in Australia is at dangerous levels and house price relative to income is off the charts. Hit the bid and sell. Judging from your post it seems you are heavily leveraged and the properties are not producing a cash flow as a cushion. When prices collapse there you will be stuck with all the debt but none of the equity nor any cash flow.

If you were a buyer of real estate at the top of the market, it will take you 20-30 years if ever to see your investment return to positive. US markets collapsed 50-60% in some areas, and if it wasn't for the government intervention they would be down another 30-40%. US gov through FHA, Freddie and Fannie currently supports 90% of the mortgage market. This situation is even worse in Australia. Get out while there is still buyers.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 PM
addbe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cromski
Hi addbe,

My recommendation to you is to sell all of your Australian real estate ASAP. That market is ridiculously over valued. Prices there have reached levels much higher then what happened in the U.S before collapse. Household debt in Australia is at dangerous levels and house price relative to income is off the charts. Hit the bid and sell. Judging from your post it seems you are heavily leveraged and the properties are not producing a cash flow as a cushion. When prices collapse there you will be stuck with all the debt but none of the equity nor any cash flow.

If you were a buyer of real estate at the top of the market, it will take you 20-30 years if ever to see your investment return to positive. US markets collapsed 50-60% in some areas, and if it wasn't for the government intervention they would be down another 30-40%. US gov through FHA, Freddie and Fannie currently supports 90% of the mortgage market. This situation is even worse in Australia. Get out while there is still buyers.
cromski, great to hear your words. Thank you. Bubble is sweet until it bursts. 80% of my portfolio already enjoyed 80~100% growth over the years however due to recently started real estate development LVR has increased. As you said, time to cash out, at least some of them. One sold last month fetching 1mil, will sell another two later this year.

I'll take your words seriouly. Australian house price and household debt are high, in many ways rediculous by many standards. I will not sell all my portfolio but will certainly reduce my exposure.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
LandRover is on a distinguished road
Yeah, it is not wise financially, but you got to enjoy life. You might lose it all in a blink. So if it will make you happy, buy it, you might not be able to 10 years from now. I mean you cannot always live for the moment, but you do always have to live in the moment, so sometimes you just got to say what the f...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Swoody
I say...you are young and probably have a lot of time left in your life to accumulate wealth etc.... If that is your goal in life, to many it is not. To me if you can afford the extra bill, and your lifestyle is not altered, then do what makes you happy. You can save your A$$ off for years and accumulate immense amounts of cash, art, land, investments and then you have a stroke or get hit by a car or cancer etc....then you will regret not living life to the fullest while you could have. Not that having a Ferrari is equal to living life to the fullest, but if that helps you enjoy life while you have it then why not??
You think a lot like me.. If i can make the payment I go for it.. Life is too short and experiencing a car you dream of is a chance of a lifetime.. If things get tight you sell it.. Buy it right and sell it for near what you paid..

Mike

Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
BlackTTCab will become famous soon enoughBlackTTCab will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by addbe
Thank you Riverflyer, ferrarichat is awsome! 5% might be a bit high for me. 1~2% is where I can push the bottom comfortably.

I think I found the answer. If I feel stretched financially, then I'm just not ready. Will wait.

Thats Super Conservative.... This means in order to own a Scuderia you "must" be worth between 12 and 25 million.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
BlackTTCab will become famous soon enoughBlackTTCab will become famous soon enough
^^ Actually...The lower end is probably accurate.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Thank you for the replies guys. My take on the ownership of a proper Ferrari might be conservative, but works for me, as I'm just not a die hard fan of Ferrari. It is more of a ego thing. Making money and accumulate them is considerably more enjoyable for me than using them.

Last edited by addbe; 05-27-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I agree Lee

Sometimes its not about the money at all but the experience, and with cars it better be about the experience because lets face it, almost all cars are bad investments. I agree also that the 430 is worth the asking price. I only suggest the 911 because the OP was concerned a little about the dollar amount.

As it turns out he already has a 911

I would suggest you drive a new 911 just for giggles if you ever get a chance, the 996 was really the step child of 911's and really not that fast. The new 911 is really a huge step up, its like going from a 355 to a 430.

For the OP, if you really want the Ferrari and you can afford it, throw caution to the wind and go for. We all have to live and a math equation about whether you should do something sometimes get out weighed by the experience equation

Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
Sometimes its not about the money at all but the experience, and with cars it better be about the experience because lets face it, almost all cars are bad investments. I agree also that the 430 is worth the asking price. I only suggest the 911 because the OP was concerned a little about the dollar amount.

As it turns out he already has a 911

I would suggest you drive a new 911 just for giggles if you ever get a chance, the 996 was really the step child of 911's and really not that fast. The new 911 is really a huge step up, its like going from a 355 to a 430.

For the OP, if you really want the Ferrari and you can afford it, throw caution to the wind and go for. We all have to live and a math equation about whether you should do something sometimes get out weighed by the experience equation
Thanks tourbillon001. Much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
mlambert890 is on a distinguished road
Will real estate appreciate? Sure as hell won't be here. I thought Australia had the same idiotic CDO fueled run-up the US did...

But either way, not going to say liquidate real property and dump it into cars though! (maybe gold, to be honest... LOL)

I think the 5% figure is kind of crazy...

Look at it this way... The average person has NEGATIVE net worth in the US, yet owns a car, right?

I think if you can afford to make a payment on the damn thing while easily covering insurance, practical vehicles, and housing/bills, etc and live somewhere that a Ferrari wouldn look ridiculous (this is just my personal spin on that one ), and are in a position where a $15k repair, while ****ty, wouldn't cause an aneurysm, then get the damn thing!

And post pics!

BTW... If I had been in your position at your age, I wouldnt have even *hesitated* on this one, so congrats on being a lot more level headed than I

Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 AM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
I say go for it.

I am sure you are very savvy with your money to own that many properties under your belt, not to mention the development projects. Honestly, one less property or project isn't going to hurt. You're 26, you have plenty of time to acquire more properties and get into new projects. What if a sweet investment comes up when you're almost done saving up for the Ferrari? Would you then put the Ferrari in the back burner again? Would you ever be 26 again?

It's never a good time to blow $200K on a car, but the memories will be priceless...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I buy a ferrari?