Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

How long does it take to get a 458?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Sounds like a very young kid asking these questions to me.
I wish that was true ; D, I can get senior citizen discount on the bus in 5 more years. I did state that it might be dumb questions

Old 10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdc
I am just curious, and trying to learn more about the car, and how the purchasing work. Do not know much about the car other than what I read online/youtube.

Can I respectfully suggest a visit to your nearest dealer? I think you really need to decide what car best suits your needs first. I mean no distrespect but you may be happier with a F355 or a F360 to get your feet wet.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Meshari
I've seen a 360 with more than 100k miles, ferrari can be a DD but it sure cost to service, i believe most ferrari's have no Cup holders, that's something you want to consider in your daily driver.

I'd suggest California as a DD. than a burned down 458.
driving without coffee? I think they are now fire-free ; }, it is no longer an option you can order

Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Can I respectfully suggest a visit to your nearest dealer? I think you really need to decide what car best suits your needs first. I mean no distrespect but you may be happier with a F355 or a F360 to get your feet wet.
no worries, not offended. Just throwing out some questions and get educated on the subject. You asked why do I want one in the first place, I think the 458 is one piece of beautiful industry design, or maybe it is old age...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:39 PM
997.1 is on a distinguished road
MDC you are asking great questions, Im curioius to know some of the answers myself. Will someone please enlighten?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdc
no worries, not offended. Just throwing out some questions and get educated on the subject. You asked why do I want one in the first place, I think the 458 is one piece of beautiful industry design, or maybe it is old age...

I don't think it is old age at all. I think the 458 is stunning. I have had the good fortune to have been up close with over 20 so far (still trying to get that first drive lol). And as much as I love them, I would still opt for a F430 Scud 16M Spider. Just me.

What has amazed me with the 458 is that I have seen over 20 different ones here on the Island since it was released. There seems to be no shortage of cash here. They seem more prolific then when the F360 was released.

Last edited by lacrosse; 11-03-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 PM
mdc
Originally Posted by lacrosse
I don't think it is old age at all. I think the 458 is stunning. I have had the good fortune to have been up close with over 20 so far (still trying to get that first drive lol). And as much as I love them, I would still opt for a F430 Scud 16M Spider. Just me.

What has amazed me with the 458 is that I have seen over 20 different ones here on the Island since it was released. There seems to be no shortage of cash here. They seem more prolific then when the F360 was released.
My passion is in the industry design. Modern Ferrari is not my thing, I like them but I do not love them until I saw the 458 in person. The exterior is perfect from every angle, the interior is not my cup of tea, but it is nicely done. Maybe someday...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mdc
Pardon my dumb question since I have no experience with Ferrari. I read here(and heard) you shouldn’t put a lot of miles in your Ferrari because it will be hard to resell. A lot used Ferrari I saw on auto trader are less than 2k miles. Why is that? My guess all Ferrari owners has 6 other cars? Or because no one would pay for a high miles Ferrari because of its price tag? Or does it actually has something to do with the car? ie, it gets too expensive to service after 5k miles?

What if it is the only car I can afford and I will have to drive it daily? It will be 20k to 30k miles after 3 years... does that mean my $300k 458 will now worth $150k?
From everything that i have been told from other ferrari owners and the dealer, the 458 is truly a car capable of being a DD. until now, ferraris were just not as practical to be DD's. so i think we will see a higher number of 458's with relatively more mileage on them. as far as mileage, i feel ferrari is really not too much different from other exotic/luxury cars. market conditions will always dictate the price based upon miles, condition, etc. For me personally, although i have other vehicles available to drive, i like to drive my toys as long as the weather is nice. it doesn't make too much sense to me to buy a beautiful car and not enjoy it when you want to. i usually keep my cars about 1 - 2 years. the average cost of ownership seems to be about $10 per mile driven including the maintenance. And i drive an average of 3000 miles per year.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by dk996tt
From everything that i have been told from other ferrari owners and the dealer, the 458 is truly a car capable of being a DD. until now, ferraris were just not as practical to be DD's. so i think we will see a higher number of 458's with relatively more mileage on them. as far as mileage, i feel ferrari is really not too much different from other exotic/luxury cars. market conditions will always dictate the price based upon miles, condition, etc. For me personally, although i have other vehicles available to drive, i like to drive my toys as long as the weather is nice. it doesn't make too much sense to me to buy a beautiful car and not enjoy it when you want to. i usually keep my cars about 1 - 2 years. the average cost of ownership seems to be about $10 per mile driven including the maintenance. And i drive an average of 3000 miles per year.
Thanks for your thoughts. From what I gather so far, I think it is possible to spec out a car and get it within one year.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 AM
njcycleguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
To clarify some of these questions, it all depends on the dealer you work with. 458 allocation is tough right now but not impossible. While some of these cirucmstances may have been true in the past, the economic situation has changed what the dealers will do and what they won't. My advice is instead of questioning a message board, go to your local dealer and ask.

For those questioning people who "flip" their 458 to turn a profit, Ferrari tries to prevent that from occuring by making you sign a document that states that the Ferrari dealer gets right of first refusal - meaning the dealer has the FIRST opportunity in the first year of ownership to buy the car back. If they refuse, you are free to sell it on your own, but after paying the hefty sales tax in most states, you would need to mark up the car $20k just to break even. So if you marked it up $30k, would it be worth all the aggravation for $10k? Most guys who can afford these cars would say no.

With regards to 458 vs California, these are two vastly different cars. With the California, Ferrari is going after a different demographic than the typical Ferrari buyer - they're going after buyers of Mercedes SLs, Aston Martins, Maseratis, etc. A California is like a faster, better performing, and more finely crafter SL63 with a level of refinement & comfort not often found in typical Ferrari's.

And Ferrari began the "DD" theme with the 360. That was the first modern day Ferrari that truly could be driven day in and day out without hefty maintenance costs(i.e. dropping out engines for basic service, etc). The 430 was an evolution of that, even more reliable and requiring less intensive maintenance. These cars can easily be driven every day.

Lower mileage Ferrari's are big no-nos in my opinion. Cars with 2k on them after 4 or 5 years typically have seals that have dried up, wheel bearings that are partially seized, flat spotted tires, and much more. They typically need more maintenance than cars with maybe 10-15k on them. Additionally, higher mileage cars will have most of their "bugs" worked out under warranty, something a low mileage car won't. Most people miss this in their quest for Ferrari ownership and figure a low mileage car is the "right" choice. Unfortunately, it could end up being very costly.

Last edited by njcycleguy; 11-06-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM
mdc
njcycleguy, that was very informative. Thank you. I am going to head the dealer and hear what they have to say. Between F-chat and here, I feel fairly informative about the brand. Please feel free to continue to share any other insight.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Bike is a jewel in the roughBike is a jewel in the roughBike is a jewel in the rough
I would buy a 360 or 550 as a first Ferrari. These cars can handle 50k miles without any problems. Don't believe all the BS stories, especially the newer Ferraris are very reliable.

You can DD a 360 or 550 for sure. I gues it depends if you want a GT or a mid-engined sportscar.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
If you own a ferrari and are worried about mileage for the sake of resell, you have no business driving one and are truly missing out.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 AM
mdc
Originally Posted by BCS996TT
If you own a ferrari and are worried about mileage for the sake of resell, you have no business driving one and are truly missing out.
I did not indicate my concern is over resell value, I was just wondering why most used Ferrari has such low miles. I would have stick to Toyota for resell.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Dick Fidd is on a distinguished road
If you're in NorCal, talk to Charlie at Silicon Valley or Alessandro at Ferrari SF - Silicon Valley has been consigning some great cars at surprisingly low prices - you never know when they will get a 458...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long does it take to get a 458?