Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Being able to own a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
[quote=turbomx5;3052361]

save your pennies. don't live beyond your means. only spend money on things that matter. keep a budget.

Words of wisdom, my father always told me "if you can't even save pennies, you will never be able to count dollars"

What most are trying to get accross to the OP is, don't be hung up on how much? or how fast? Be good at whatever it is you do, always live within your means, and be financialy responsible along the way. You may be surprised at how soon that Ferrari is in your garage, if you still want it. lol

Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
My love for cars has caused many poor financial decisions in my life.
If I had it to do over I would have planned better, save better, invested better and stayed single until I had achieved a better financial situation.

It's fine to drive nice cars and have nice things. But there is a time for these things. Wait until the topic of how much to spend on a car is secondary. You'll enjoy it more.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
If a person wants to own a Ferrari or Aston Martin, they can find a way. You can find older models at a discount and go on a budget. You can finance it. You can find budget ways to keep it running.
That is all total BS. Do it that way and the car owns you.
My point is: they really are expensive cars and it is best to buy one only when you have a good deal of financial strength behind you. IMO if you have to finance one, new or used, you can't afford one. If any possible expense would be a worry, you should pass. I paid cash for mine (new). If it disappeared and the insurance didn't cover it and I lost it all, of course I'd be upset, but not ruined or even hurt -- I have the cash to buy another.
WAIT until you can do it this way. No car is worth having any worries at all about finances or repairs.
I am an electrical engineer. Rather creative. Inventing things. Worked all my life -- made a plan and worked my plan. I own part of an engineering company I founded a few years ago.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I waited until I was 30 to buy my first sports car. Before then, I drove old sedans and don't see any problem with that even as an enthusiast. I would also see people my age driving nice new BMWs.

Several years later, I am a Lambo owner. When you are in your 20's and 30's, you want to use all your money into investing. It's easier to make money using money. Now, I still see those BMWs. They all gawk at my Lambo

Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by djantlive
It's easier to make money using money.
I fundamentally agree, but as a 33 year old, the last 10 investment years haven't been that great for most investors. I've joked with my wife that I should have just bought nice cars with those dollars long ago. They would have depreciated just as fast as my cash or property investments, and I could have atleast enjoyed them as I pissed money into the wind.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
ac_schnauzer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kylle345
I am a young professional so my wealth is only beginning to accumulate and I hope one day that I can enjoy an exotic sportscar.
what profession are you in?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
RS4-Brian will become famous soon enoughRS4-Brian will become famous soon enough
I could probably buy a Ferrari now if I wanted to but like everyone else said, it's about priorities. 1 kiddo in college and another will be in a few years so that stuff just doesn't matter as much. I also worry that the thought of owning a Ferrari and that 25+ year buildup of anticipation will actually be better than actually owning one. I bought an MV Agusta a few years back and I loved it...but it sat in the garage and pretty much acted as an expensive (but beautiful) decoration. So I sold it. And lost a few bucks in the process.

I'll probably buy an F car when the time is right...hopefully it won't be another expensive decoration.

My advice - make you sure you truly can afford it before you buy it. Add up all those "just might happen" costs and all the maintenance and do some honest math. If you want to live in an apartment but drive a Ferrari go ahead, it's your life. Just make sure you can pul it off every month for X years.

I was also reminded of a quote from a movie...

"The things you own end up owning you". --> don't be that guy. And don't ever talk about Fight Club...

Old 12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
GENERAL LEE is on a distinguished road
You unfortunately aren't the first to post a thread asking the same questions.

Seriously, unless you're 12 years old, this does not require much common sense, and certainly doesn't warrant starting a thread over. Like others have nicely taken the time to post, you need to do something that affords you enough money to not be concerned with the cost of ownership.

You've got a pretty good chance of being able to have nice cars/etc, if you are capable of doing something that "most" people can't do.

For example: Consistently being able to throw 95mph baseballs in the latter innings of Game 7, or being able to successfully perform neurosurgery, are two things most people cannot do. Those that can do these things, are paid handsomely for these exclusive skills. Many people however, can pump gas or sell shoes, so they are not going to be paid much for these skills, when it isn't hard to find someone else to do it.

You need to find something to do, that there aren't already an abundant amount of people doing.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gray911
Using the rule of halves...If you make $100,000 a year you may afford a $50,000 car. If you want a brand new Ferrari then you have to make at least $500,000 gross yearly income. Hope this helps.

Vic
Depends on your lifestyle as well, 2 daughters both in private school, both into hunterjumping (horses~bought 2 this year, boarding), one heading to college, braces, etc,etc,etc, 500K goes faster than my turbos

Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bavorak
Quote- flinder and lacrosse

I agree with these two, Its not necessarily about how much you earn, but how much of it is disposable. There are alot of factors and variables involved.

If you have a wife, kids, mortgage or other debt that you need to put first It will leave less to go towards your hobbies. On the other hand if your a young single proffessional with little or no debt than you can feel comfortable about spending that extra money knowing the basics are taken care of.

In short, you will know when your making enough money to buy the Ferrari you want because when it comes time to cut the cheque you shouldn't have to stress cutting it.

Good luck in your journey!
A lot of great comments so far in this thread.

I'll be blunt since you asked for numbers. I wish others would share more detailed numbers and stories as well. Data is good...

I'm young, I just turned 26, so don't have many years of savings. I graduated from undergrad in 2007 with a net work of $5k and was driving dad's old 1992 Lexus ES300 with 185k miles. I goofed off in high school, but busted my *** in undergrad and got quadruple business majors in undergrad with a 4.0gpa in 4 years; I was the first person in my college ever to do this. What did it get me? Pretty much nothing other than a couple ~$50k salary offers at entry level positions ranging from computer science to finance/economics. So I decided to go to law school, expecting to be in debt $100k when I got out but hoping to start at $125k+ at age 25, and $300k+ by age 32. But, I went to law school for the wrong reason: to make money, not b/c I wanted to practice. I worked for a big firm two summers ago and hated it. Hated the hours, hated the work, hated it all. My pay rate was $115k salary, but only for the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. Then the economy busted and attorney prospects went to crap anyway. Throughout all this, I started doing investments and credit arbitrage, drawing on what I learned in undergrad and with extensive finance reading over at fatwallet, boggleheads, ect.

Eventually, I started earning more and more as I developed niche skils. Second year in law school I bought a 04 G35 coupe for $22k when I was worth about $40k and making $70k salary on my own while paying for tuition as I went. During my third year, I earned about $125k net. When I graduated last May, I bought a 996tt for just under $50k and still have the G35. At that time, I had about $145k cash savings, a $16k G35 coupe, and $15k in a Roth IRA, law school paid off, and no debt. Full disclosure: I did have some scholarship money, my parents paid for my undergrad tuition/living expenses, and my grandma paid most of my apartment cost during law school for the first two years, but I paid for the entirity of law school tuition and everything else and didn't get any other handouts from anyone. I borrowed upper six figures from my family and friends and credit companies for my own "mini hedge fund" operation, but I pay a reasonable rate of interest for these loans (and still do).

I have no intention to take the bar right now and am saving to add a F430 to the collection this spring. To feel comfortable with a ~$125k sticker and Ferrari maintainence $, I want to have $300k liquid cash savings and keep the 911 and G35, which were bought with cash (although I later cash out refi'd the 911 for a 2.99% 60 month no hard pull loan, no reason not to take that cheap of $ when I can earn 8x that with it). My income during the past few months has been multiples higher than ever before, but its not guaranteed to last since I have no contract and work with niche/limited opportunities. I base my purchase decision more on liquid assets than I do income stream. I also live in a relatively cheap apartment and have few other expenses. At my age, I simply have no desire to own a home since I don't even know where I want to live. To me, a home is simply a big debt/liability and hassel since its just me an my girlfriend right now. I'm perfectly comfortably owning a F430, 996tt, and G35 and paying $75 a month for a garage at my apartment for now. I may even buy a Vantage after the F430 before I buy a house. I figure I'll buy the cars I want when I'm young. A few years down the road, I'll worry about a house and kids. I'm not buying new cars, but ones that have already suffered the broadest part of the depreciation curve. I have no illusions that the associated costs of owning multiple exotics arn't a serious cash drain, but to me they are worth it and I can comfortably afford everything right now.

I hope this post didn't come off as boastful. I'm certainly thrilled with what I've accomplished thus far, and worked hard for it, but there were many times I got lucky and had help on levels that just arn't available to everyone. I also don't have any guarantee that my income next year will be has high as it was last year. I love cars, and while I'm generally a very conservative person, have no problem spending $ on them so long as I will always be comfortable financially. If you have to finance a car, don't even think about it, get a junker. If you might be stretched after the purchase, then wait b/c it will only ruin the ownership experience.

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Freshcoupe is on a distinguished road
Although this is my first post here, I always lurk this forum and have been for a long time. I want to thank everyone who has responded in this thread and also say I'm very appreciative that you guys have answered the OP. Most forums, someone always asks a question like this and the thread ends up failing lol. It's no suprise that people want to know more about Ferrari and Lambo owners, you guys are blessed. I really would like to thank Miker397, general lee and 2muchtime. I completely agree with what these particular posters had to say and share.

I'm 24 and I work at an investment firm. I deal mostly in stocks and I have been series 7 and 63 licensed since I was 21. I don't get a salary, my job is 100% commission so like others have mentioned, it's not about how much you make but how much you have put away. My pay month to month is not always the same. Some months I can take home $25k some months I can take home $10k. I work with guys that have been established for 10-15 years and they have 911 turbos, Maseratis and Lambos. I'm always picking their brains and trying to get advice and they always tell me basically what some others have mentioned.

Again, I'm not driving a fancy car yet, I have an 05 G35 but being smart with my money, making smart decisions and saving will put me in a position to afford a nice car one day. I'm currently saving for a house, and that's some of the advice that some of the older guys give me as far as getting a nice car one day. But at the same time it's all about priorities. But because my pay is different month to month, I have to go by my liquid savings. After I aquire a home I would love to get the next M5 or maybe the 7 series thats out now. For me to feel comfortable owning such a car I would want to have AT LEAST $150k put away for said cars. The sticker for the cars I mentioned is about $80-$85k. To some people, maybe they feel my idea isn't a good one but I know my comfort level. Everyone has different lifestyles and situations. Hope this helps!!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Freshcoupe
Although this is my first post here, I always lurk this forum and have been for a long time. I want to thank everyone who has responded in this thread and also say I'm very appreciative that you guys have answered the OP. Most forums, someone always asks a question like this and the thread ends up failing lol. It's no suprise that people want to know more about Ferrari and Lambo owners, you guys are blessed. I really would like to thank Miker397, general lee and 2muchtime. I completely agree with what these particular posters had to say and share.

I'm 24 and I work at an investment firm. I deal mostly in stocks and I have been series 7 and 63 licensed since I was 21. I don't get a salary, my job is 100% commission so like others have mentioned, it's not about how much you make but how much you have put away. My pay month to month is not always the same. Some months I can take home $25k some months I can take home $10k. I work with guys that have been established for 10-15 years and they have 911 turbos, Maseratis and Lambos. I'm always picking their brains and trying to get advice and they always tell me basically what some others have mentioned.

Again, I'm not driving a fancy car yet, I have an 05 G35 but being smart with my money, making smart decisions and saving will put me in a position to afford a nice car one day. I'm currently saving for a house, and that's some of the advice that some of the older guys give me as far as getting a nice car one day. But at the same time it's all about priorities. But because my pay is different month to month, I have to go by my liquid savings. After I aquire a home I would love to get the next M5 or maybe the 7 series thats out now. For me to feel comfortable owning such a car I would want to have AT LEAST $150k put away for said cars. The sticker for the cars I mentioned is about $80-$85k. To some people, maybe they feel my idea isn't a good one but I know my comfort level. Everyone has different lifestyles and situations. Hope this helps!!
Sounds like you are in nearly the exact same situation as me 18 months ago. Do you have a G35 coupe, or sedan? I have an 04 Coupe and think it is perhaps the best value car on the road today. It is SO much fun to drive everyday and so useable (except in the snow). The Porsche is a great addition, and does what it should (extreme power/fun! for reasonable $), but truthfully, I would maybe be overall (comfort, costs, technology, ect) better with the G35 coupe. I'm tall and fit better, the technology is much better, premium stereo is leagues better, dash/indicators/tilt wheel/dash is much better, low end torque from 0mph is better as its naturally aspirated, but it certainly can't complete on overall excitement that the Porsche can deliver when the roads give you a little space for it. If you haven't driven a g35 coupe, do it, and you'll wanna trade if you have the Sedan. Its completely different. Get the premium 18'' wheels and I think 03/04 have the best spoiler options before they started making them too tiny (the g37's is pathetic, and overall, the G35 is more aggressive and fun than the g37 IME). Car is super reliable is cheap to maintain/insure/drive. A perfect ride before your first exotic/supercar IMO.

As for income, since I work for myself and only earn what my activities yield, my income flucutates dramatically. Last April - August, I averaged about $13k net income, saved probably $11k of that each month after all expenses. September I did $22k, Oct I did $31k, and Nov I did $50k income. I expect December to be approximately $70k of income, but I have no further expectations or ability to project past that. I'm not subject to much principal loss as I hedge a lot of my risk, although there always is some risk, and my main income streams could certainly disappear until the next creative opportunity comes along. As a floor, I'm sure I could make $6k net a month, but even with my few living expenses, that wouldn't safely cover the costs of owning multiple exotics. Thus, for my hopefully upcoming F430 purchase, it needs to be paid for out of liquid savings only with the expectation that my income stream could take a 80% drop from the prior three months. As I mentioned, for a $125k sticker, I'll want to have $300k+ liquid cash as well as decent expectations for future income streams.

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-02-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Freshcoupe is on a distinguished road
Yes, I have a coupe and it's lakeshore slate blue. I have the G37 19 inch wheels on it and it looks much better than my previous wheels. I completely agree with you on the value of the car. It rides great, no problems, nice amount of power for the price etc. It's a great car! I have the Bose premium sound and it's great. You are right it is an awesome everyday car. I'm 6'1 and I fit in it perfect. I hope a lambo, Ferrari and porsche fit me the same lol. I've had it almost 6 years now and have 115k miles on it. Aside from oil changes, brakes and tires, it's been great as far as maintenance. The only thing I hate is how it performs in the snow, which is horrible lol. I have no problem holding onto this car for another.....well, until i can't drive it anymore. When I get my next car I hope to still hold onto the g.

You seem to be doing very well and you have a great head on your shoulders. I love hearing about success, it's very motivating. I hope you achieve everything you set out to aquire. I can't wait to get my next car, I'm on the forums all the time hearing about others reaching those points in their lives. My day will come and it will be sweet. My income variation is similar to yours (fluctuation wise) so I know what you mean. I try to save as much as I can as well. And like you mentioned, you never know what next month can look like so it's all about the savings!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tarek307
Get a porsche its Attainable + you can use it as a daily driver
That's what I've done.

I'm 33 and on my 2nd 911. I bought a 911 C4 new in '01 and my Turbo used with 28k miles. I saved a lot over the $150k sticker.

I bought a G550 new just over a year ago, and it actually cost more than my 911.

I test drove a 360 and 430 for an hour each this summer and passed on them. The 911 was just a way better car to drive regularly.

I run the IT consulting business for my company. I'm just really good at what I do and work ridiculous amounts. A 100 hour week is nothing new to me for many years, and I've made a $100 billion decision before. Didn't realize it until after I did it, but I was right. Basically unless you're a trust fund kid, owning cars like this at my age (and a 4000 sq ft house I live in alone), means you've made it big in some bet like Napster or you've seriously busted your @$$. I went the second route, but gave up most of my 20s.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbomx5
I'm suprised this thread hasn't already disolved into the key to making money being training spider monkeys.

I personally don't believe in the rule of halves. When I made $100k/yr, I didn't think I had any business owning a $50k car. But my long term goal wasn't to own a nice car by XX age. It was to be able to do what ever I wanted in my 50's - including own and race cool cars. As people have already stated, its about priorities. You might find, as I did, that owning a modern ferrari isn't near as cool as the process of saving or shopping for it. They depreciate, they are expensive to maintain, and to drive them on the limit, you need to be on a race track. Even though I could "afford" it, it wasn't good for my long term goals and I thought about that almost every time I got in it. So I sold it. I'll tell you soon if classic ferraris make an individual feel the same way.

As for jobs, I don't think this is rocket science. Go and look at the careers that either contain a high percentage of car nuts, or a high annual income. Sales, executive roles in business, business owners or people in just about any field as long as they have estailished they are the top couple percent of people who do that job.

save your pennies. don't live beyond your means. only spend money on things that matter. keep a budget.

good luck.
well put (TURBOMX5)......I think also it depends on whether you have kids and are married, because if you make 200k a year and your wife doesn't work and you have 3 kids in private school, then you may be looking at a Toyota Camry instead of a 100k Car.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Being able to own a Ferrari