Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?

When I got my C63 AMG, I really thought it was the pinnacle of what a fun car should be, and I looked forward to driving it every day. Now that I've had my 911 (C2S cab) for several weeks and put 1k miles on it, I really have to say that the 911 blows the C63 away overall. The C63 is a great sports sedan, but the 911 is real sports car and everything just feels right about it -- no gimmicks, just great pure design.

That makes me wonder whether there's something else out there which is similarly even better than the 911. In other words, a possible future dream car, a car which is "substantially better" than a 911 to the extent of being on a distinctly higher level than the 911. Not just a little better, or on the same level but different and thus a matter of personal preference.

When I say "better", my criteria are: (a) objectively high performance (lap times, grip limits, 0-60, stopping distance, etc.), (b) subjectively fun to drive (involving, intuitive, thrilling, etc.), and (c) comfortable enough for routine use (not restricted to track or weekend use). I'm not considering cost, storage space, prestige, exterior/interior looks, etc.

I haven't driven a Ferrari, Lambo, or other exotic, but you guys have, so what do you think? Are there cars out there which truly surpass the 911? Or is the 911 instead really about as good as a sports car can be? Again, experiences of people who've actually driven such cars are what I'm asking about, not just reading about them.

I posted this same question in a Porsche forum and got plenty of responses, but of course there may be pro-Porsche bias there. So some people suggested that I post the same question in Ferrari and Lambo forums, so here I am. Of course, I expect some bias here too, but please try to be as unbiased as you can, based on the three criteria I gave.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
Porsche is a great car. I have had several, including the newest .2TT with PDK, but since I have moved to the dark side I doubt I'll ever go back. No comparison driving a Ferrari to driving a Porsche.

The fact that you posted in this section shows you already know the answer.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bosco42
Porsche is a great car. I have had several, including the newest .2TT with PDK, but since I have moved to the dark side I doubt I'll ever go back. No comparison driving a Ferrari to driving a Porsche.

The fact that you posted in this section shows you already know the answer.
Actually, the majority of the 911 guys say that Ferraris are on same level as the 911 - different but not better. Some of them say that Ferraris are slightly better, fewer say that Ferraris are substantially better, and some say that the 911 is better. So, no, I can't say that I know the answer at this point.

I know it may be hard to put into words, but could you elaborate on why you consider the Ferrari "no comparison" better?

Of course, ideally I could drive some exotics myself, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-25-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I've created a little poll to tie in with this question:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...han-911-a.html

Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Senna1994 is on a distinguished road
I own both, my 997 is my daily driver and I love it to death. But my 430 is still on another level. Both are great, but the 430 definitely gives you a feeling than any other sports car.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
I sold my 458 on Monday. I also have an '11 Turbo S. Looks there is no comparison - sorry for stating the obvious. Actual street driving I think the F-car is slightly better but I got tired of it dictating where I could go. Parking etc. The Porsche is an every day car and I just felt I had too much money tied up in a car that I couldn't really enjoy. Sort of like your wife owning great jewelry and keeping it in the safe deposit box except for special events. Just not what I want to do. Maybe if I lived in Florida, Calif, etc. Pittsburgh another story.

Last edited by imcarnuts; 08-24-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
stevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to allstevely is a name known to all
I just went from a 997.1 TT to a F430 last week. F430 is definitely several steps above a 997 in terms of prestige/looks/clout. As my friend likes to tell me, 'it's a game changer'. In terms of performance, the TT is definitely faster 0-60 and feels more planted than the Ferrari, maybe because it's AWD. But the F430 feels more nimble through turns and is definitely more fun to drive. The sound in the F-car is unbelievable and by itself puts the car in a class above.

Hate to say it, but when I bought the TT, it was ok. Cool but not blown away. The F-car makes me want to go out to the garage and open it just to take a look.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
good observations^

Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Daniel Leung is on a distinguished road
I have a 997tt and it is my DD. SO reilable. love this car. just got the 16M for a week, drove it in the evening and weekend crusing around. I love this car more bcuz it gives me a.....better connection with the road. However, the 16M will only be my weekend car. put it this way, the TT is my wife and the 16M is my girl friend.

best,
DL

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM
I test drove a bunch of 911 variants before settling on a 997.2 C2S cab. Though the turbo is surely faster once it gets going, I enjoyed the C2S more overall, partly because I think having RWD gives a lighter and nimber feel, plus I didn't care for the turbo lag (almost gave the car an all or nothing response). I've heard the same non-turbo preference from other 911 owners also.

As far as appearance, of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ferraris generally look hot to me (in red), but I guess I'm partial to the more conservative look of German cars, plus I need a car that isn't too flashy in my current situation.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I have a 996tt and love it to death. I will be keeping it for a very long time. It's tuned and has a catless EP2 loud exhaust, and with stock turbos turbo lag is minimal and spool is very quick, especially compared to completely stock (how I bought the car). Yet, I'm absolutely obsessed with Ferrari's and will be buying a 360 or F430 or CS at some point in the next 9 months. I drove a F430 and Scuderia (scud is out of my price range and still depreciating too fast for me, will likely be my 2nd Ferrari ) on the track in Vegas, and I can tell you that they are a whole new level of thrill compared to my Porsche. Ferraris are just so much more exotic, beautiful looking, and exciting (at least to me). They are not the best bang for the buck at all if you are looking for raw speed and/or track performance, and are MUCH more expensive to maintain/repair than Porsche, but they are just on another level with respect to the driving experience on the street. You will get so much more attention (for better or worse) in a Ferrari than any Porsche (with the exception of the GT).

I'm too tall to fit in Lambos, and even Aston Martin is too cramped for me to comfortably drive. Ferrari has plenty of room and pushes all the right buttons for me. I'm just trying to decide which model is right for me, and find it in the exact confirguation I want (rossa corsa, black interior, red stitch or red daytona inserts, full CF driving zone in F430; or basically any rossa corsa CS with the red alcantara interior). I'm actually looking into a CS right now, priced very fair, but I know it's been tracked and I have a feeling it needs a new clutch at $6.5k (and hell no if it needs new cc brakes at up to $8k a corner! (only track use will require new cc brakes though)), so may not be as great a price to make me buy now vs waiting until late winter since I wont' drive a Ferrari much in Ohio in the winter (that is what the 996tt is for, snow beast! ).

Last edited by MikeR397; 08-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
I sold my 458 on Monday. I also have an '11 Turbo S. Looks there is no comparison - sorry for stating the obvious. Actual street driving I think the F-car is slightly better but I got tired of it dictating where I could go. Parking etc. The Porsche is an every day car and I just felt I had too much money tied up in a car that I couldn't really enjoy. Sort of like your wife owning great jewelry and keeping it in the safe deposit box except for special events. Just not what I want to do. Maybe if I lived in Florida, Calif, etc. Pittsburgh another story.
I can understand this. A Ferrari in PA (like OH for me) attracts so much attention that you don't always want this. It's also not something you love parking on a busy street where someone could ding/hit/key it. I don't have similar concerns with my Porsche, and I think this also just goes to show you how much more special (or at least expensive!) Ferraris are vs Porsche.

Last edited by MikeR397; 08-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I have a 996tt and love it to death. I will be keeping it for a very long time. It's tuned and has a catless EP2 loud exhaust, and with stock turbos turbo lag is minimal and spool is very quick, especially compared to completely stock (how I bought the car). Yet, I'm absolutely obsessed with Ferrari's and will be buying a 360 or F430 or CS at some point in the next 9 months. I drove a F430 and Scuderia (scud is out of my price range and still depreciating too fast for me, will likely be my 2nd Ferrari ) on the track in Vegas, and I can tell you that they are a whole new level of thrill compared to my Porsche. Ferraris are just so much more exotic, beautiful looking, and exciting (at least to me). They are not the best bang for the buck at all if you are looking for raw speed and/or track performance, and are MUCH more expensive to maintain/repair than Porsche, but they are just on another level with respect to the driving experience on the street. You will get so much more attention (for better or worse) in a Ferrari than any Porsche (with the exception of the GT).

I'm too tall to fit in Lambos, and even Aston Martin is too cramped for me to comfortably drive. Ferrari has plenty of room and pushes all the right buttons for me. I'm just trying to decide which model is right for me, and find it in the exact confirguation I want (rossa corsa, black interior, red stitch or red daytona inserts, full CF driving zone in F430; or basically any rossa corsa CS with the red alcantara interior). I'm actually looking into a CS right now, priced very fair, but I know it's been tracked and I have a feeling it needs a new clutch at $6.5k (and hell no if it needs new cc brakes at up to $8k a corner! (only track use will require new cc brakes though)), so may not be as great a price to make me buy now vs waiting until late winter since I wont' drive a Ferrari much in Ohio in the winter (that is what the 996tt is for, snow beast! ).
I can imagine that your 911 must be a heck of a car with those mods. Thanks for the input on Ferraris.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I can understand this. A Ferrari in PA (like OH for me) attracts so much attention that you don't always want this. It's also not something you love parking on a busy street where someone could ding/hit/key it. I don't have similar concerns with my Porsche, and I think this also just goes to show you how much more special (or at least expensive!) Ferraris are vs Porsche.
Around here in MD, a Porsche won't usually get a second look, and maybe not even a first look. A Ferrari will get lots of looks, and some people might even take pics. Definitely a whole different level from that standpoint.

Last edited by Manifold; 08-25-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Daniel Leung is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Manifold
Around here in MD, a Porsche won't usually get a second look, and maybe not even a first look. A Ferrari will get lots of looks, and some people might even take pics. Definitely a whole different level from that standpoint.
In North jersey by where i lived. P car is quite common but not Ferrari. Ferrari get a lots of looks, pic taken. it is indeed another level

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are there cars out there which are substantially better than the 911?