Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

599 Review in R&T (Amazing)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PRS29
Not so fast people. You should watch the video that Auto Motor und Sport did with the Veyron, 599 GTB, LP640, SLR, Z06, 997 TT, Viper, Vanquish and Ford GT. I wish I could post the link, but I couldn't find the video on youtube. Its for download on racingflix.

The 599 GTB was second only to the Veyron to 300kmh.

Here are the times (0-300kmh):

Vanquish - 57.1 seconds
Viper - (no time... guess it didn't make it to 300)
Z06 - 41.8 seconds
997 TT - 40.7 seconds
Ford GT - 33.6 seconds
SLR - 32.4 seconds
LP640 - 31.8 seconds
599 GTB - 29.9 seconds
Veyron - 18.2 seconds

Based on this thread http://www.carpassion.com/de/forum/p...-ams-test.html ... I believe it says that the CGT was tested by AMS at 32 seconds... McLaren F1 at 24 seconds.. and the Enzo at 26 seconds.

Anyhow, the 599 GTB is faster as the speeds increase. Maybe there is more drag on the CGT. Dunno.
I imagine it's faster than the SLR since those two cars were tested at the same time under the same conditions by the same drivers, but it's not faster than the CGT. There is a video of the 599 getting beat by an SLR that is pretty controversial since the driver appears to suck ect. If you look at the specs of both cars the 599 is lighter and has more power than the SLR and the transmission is way better. As for the CGT, that car should only be compared to the enzo since they are both designed to do the same thing. I would race a CGT in the 599 and hope the guy forgot to turn off traction control and or missed a shift lol because that the only way I would have a chance.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ttgangsta
I imagine it's faster than the SLR since those two cars were tested at the same time under the same conditions by the same drivers, but it's not faster than the CGT. There is a video of the 599 getting beat by an SLR that is pretty controversial since the driver appears to suck ect. If you look at the specs of both cars the 599 is lighter and has more power than the SLR and the transmission is way better. As for the CGT, that car should only be compared to the enzo since they are both designed to do the same thing. I would race a CGT in the 599 and hope the guy forgot to turn off traction control and or missed a shift lol because that the only way I would have a chance.
i just don't see how ****ty of a driver you have to be to drive a F1 gear box... beats me...

Alan

Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
crosvs is on a distinguished road
wow that veryon is in a different league altogether those numbers are RIDICULOUS

Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
I don't have either car, and I don't want to be flamed because of quoting magazines. BUT, based on what we have (a video of people racing, and a magazine known to be very in depth in their analysis), its still curious. Even if you compare R&T's numbers, at the quarter mile of the CGT is 11.3 @131.6 (0-60 is 3.6, and 0-100 is 7.0), the times are quite close. I am sure I can dig up other tests (if you want I can get the other test numbers from AMS). As I said in the other post, the CGT may have more drag as the speeds increase. Anyhow, I am just playing the numbers game. I know its annoying, but unfortunately thats all I can go by at this point. Personally, I prefer a comparison by professionals, rather than a street race by two completely different drivers.

In reference to the F1 transmission being idiot proof for acceleration... not necessarily true. In the wrong setting, it can either prevent wheel spin or have too much wheel spin (can't physically control the clutch). If he used LC, then I would wonder (do they have LC on the American spec car?).

Dunno. Technically it doesn't make sense (big discrepancy of power to weight with both cars), but test numbers speak for themselves. Just my two cents.

Will get to drive the CGT in the near future. Will have to wait till one of my relatives pulls the trigger on a 599 GTB. To those of you that have either or both cars, drive them in good health. I am really jealous.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
i just don't see how ****ty of a driver you have to be to drive a F1 gear box... beats me...

Alan
Well there are a lot of things about the 599 that can change acceleration. First the mannetino which can be set to any of the modes some of which really slow the car down i.e snow, rain. Also that guy could have been shifting anywhere, who knows if he was at 8400 rpms, a lot of people shift early because the revs climb so fast. Plus its hard to launch that car.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Well there are a lot of things about the 599 that can change acceleration. First the mannetino which can be set to any of the modes some of which really slow the car down i.e snow, rain. Also that guy could have been shifting anywhere, who knows if he was at 8400 rpms, a lot of people shift early because the revs climb so fast. Plus its hard to launch that car.
I am PRETTY sure the guy is not stupid enough to put it in the SNOW or RAIN mode... and as for revs climbing so fast on the 599 i am sure the CGT doesn't climb any slower... and besides the CGT its a traditional 6speed which will shift slower than the 599's super advanced F1 box... isn't that what the F1 boxes are intended to do? shift faster than a normal 6 speed? just doesn't make sense to me how a person could more likely screw up F1 box than a traditional 6 speed...

Alan

Old 04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I am PRETTY sure the guy is not stupid enough to put it in the SNOW or RAIN mode... and as for revs climbing so fast on the 599 i am sure the CGT doesn't climb any slower... and besides the CGT its a traditional 6speed which will shift slower than the 599's super advanced F1 box... isn't that what the F1 boxes are intended to do? shift faster than a normal 6 speed? just doesn't make sense to me how a person could more likely screw up F1 box than a traditional 6 speed...

Alan
Nobody is questioning whether or not the CGT is faster! The only video I question is the SLR one based on the acceleration figured of about every car mag that has tested both cars.
I'm not going to sit here and try and convince you that when street racing with random drivers a slower car can win. I really don't even care is the SLR is faster or any car for that matter, I am absolutely in love with the 599 and wouldn't trade it for anything short of an Enzo. I mean ill admit im a really competitive person so im biased as hell towards the 599 and I think it could beat the SLR maybe I'm wrong. I wish I could race an SLR but its hard to find that race in a poor industrial/agricultural city of 30,000 people.

The CGT is no doubt a better performing car, but there is something about driving a ferrari that I just LOVE. Most of my driving is on the road, and the 599 is insane for driving on the street. The mannetino is great, and when you have 611hp and you are taking turns for the first or second time traction control is great! It's one thing to be in a controlled environment and push a car to its limits without any stability programs, but on the road thats asking for trouble. The sport and race modes on the 599 are second to none as far as having fun on the road and still being safe.

The CGT is a better car if you want whats fastest, but it has no resale so I won't be convincing the pops to buy one for me anytime soon.

Last edited by ttgangsta; 04-13-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Nobody is questioning whether or not the CGT is faster! The only video I question is the SLR one.
or that... my mistake...

Alan

Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
or that... my mistake...

Alan
Hey alan im sorry, im super pro-599 right now in case you havn't noticed

Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
The CGT beat the 599 much worse then it did the SLR (SLR/1 - CGT/1), check it out on www.revlovers.com!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 AM
335_II is on a distinguished road
i just read the recent road and track article and they were amazed by the numbers they ran

Old 04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Henjie is on a distinguished road
According to Auto Motor und Sport, the 599 also edges out the CGT in terms of top speed: 335 km/h for the 599 (2006 test) and 334 km/h for the CGT (test).

599 GTB Fiorano
0-100km/h: 3.5s
0-200km/h: 10.3s
0-300km/h: 29.9s

Carrera GT
0-100km/h: 3.8s
0-200km/h: 10.7s
0-300km/h: 34.2s
400m: 11.5s@208km/h

For these kind of numbers (pure acceleration), the Enzo is definitely faster though, especially at the top end:
Enzo
0-100km/h: 3.6s (better LC programming on the 599?)
0-200km/h: 10.3s
0-300km/h: 26.1s
400m: 11.4s@212km/h
Top speed: 355km/h

As for the CGT doing great against the 599 regardless of its slower 0-300km/h time, here's a few paragraphs from when EVO did the comparison test with the Veyron, CGT, Enzo, and Zonda S ("The Incredibles") that I think explains it a bit:

"Asked to predict the quickest car after the Veyron, we all agree that it will be the Enzo by a whisker from the Zonda by a whisker from the Carrera. It doesn't work out quite like that when, intrigued, we conduct a series of wholly unscientific run-offs.

Round one, and Harry's in his Zonda while I'm in the Carrera. On the first run I get the drop and can't be caught. We re-run but this time Harry gets an unfair advantage, which leaves it feeling like the best of three. The last run is peachy, the Carrera buzzing along at 5000rpm when we go. As I expected from the earlier runs, the Porsche edges out the Zonda, much to Monsieur Metcalfe's chagrin. 'I'm amazed,' he says later. 'The Zonda was right in the sweet-spot for the last run and still the Carrera edged away. It just doesn't feel like that.'

Hanging at the same revs for its head-to-head with the Enzo, I reckon the Carrera has a chance but the Ferrari leaps ahead by a couple of car lengths almost immediately. The fantastic yowl of the Carrera's V10 is almost drowned out by the cry of the Enzo and when its V12 dies suddenly (turns out Bovingdon clipped the rev-limiter), I expect to draw level. But a fraction later I have to upshift the Porsche and the gap is restored, from which point the Ferrari slowly but surely stretches away.

The reason the Carrera performs better than any of us expected is quite simple: its V10 does its best work at the top of its rev-range, and that's where it stays in an all-out rush up the gearbox.
"

Despite the numbers, I reckon the 599 won't feel faster or perform better than the CGT in most situations. I mean, opportunities to race from a dig or from a roll up to speeds greater than 170mph (where the 599 might be able to show its top-end reach) are almost nil on public streets. It's rare enough on a strip to see two equal drivers driving two supercars lining up, plus you need a really long straight (at least a mile) to reach 180+mph if you're gonna compare which car is faster up top.

Last edited by Henjie; 04-14-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:48 PM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
I saw the same 599 GTB twice this week. Today he was parked in front of the movie theater, maybe watchin "Redline" Awesome car!