Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

tire unseat from rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
tire unseat from rim

i had a previous incident on track where i spun off and the tire separated from the rim bead. i have also been spinning around in a snow filled lot and heard a loud ' thrumming' sound from the front tires that had me worried about same thing but turned out ok.

my question is how does tire pressure effect a tire separating from its rim bead? will high or low pressures prevent it during a spin? i usually run about 30 front and 34 rear cold

thanks

Last edited by fcar348; 12-03-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
no one can help? how does tire presure effect tire separating from rim?

thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
fcracer is infamous around these partsfcracer is infamous around these parts
Low tire pressures will allow the bead to move around which can encourage the tire to come come off the wheel, which is why they take the pressure out of the tire when changing it.

If your tire came off the wheel during a slide, I would think you either had very low pressures or the tire came upon something on the road surface that pushed the tire off. I've never heard of a tire coming off just by sliding the car.

On a side note, be sure that there is no salt around as this car's corrosion warranty is for only 4 years and doesn't have the same underbody protection as the regular cars.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on air pressure and how hot they got, could have come loose. Are you running a set of aftermarket wheels that has a rim seat that is not a pronounced?

We have had certain wheel/tire combos take more pressure to air them up. Example was a Toyo T1R on a Champion wheel vs. a Michelin PS2 on teh same wheel. We had to set the PS2's in the sun to heat up to "pop" the seats vs. the Toyo slide right onto it.

We figure the tolerances between tire and wheel differ depending on brand.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks

it was a spin at limerock in the left hander where i went off into the grass/dirt. not high speed at all, maybe 50 mph? passenger rear tire came partly off rim. i had 34 psi cold in the tire. had to remove tire completely then clean out dirt and re mount. has been fine since.

when sliding the car in wet/snow the front tires do not screetch but make a loud thrumming ive never hear in another tire.

just want to know best way to prevent separation from happening again.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fcar348
thanks

it was a spin at limerock in the left hander where i went off into the grass/dirt. not high speed at all, maybe 50 mph? passenger rear tire came partly off rim. i had 34 psi cold in the tire. had to remove tire completely then clean out dirt and re mount. has been fine since.

when sliding the car in wet/snow the front tires do not screetch but make a loud thrumming ive never hear in another tire.

just want to know best way to prevent separation from happening again.

I spun off at VIR and had the same thing happen. I guess its that the area of impact is so small that a spin in the grass with a direct hit to the sidewall will momentarily pop the bead. The only way to keep it from happening again is stay off teh grass Seriously though, I am not sure. Champion's bead has a knurled pattern in it but track wheels by BBS don't and lots of people run them. The pattern is more designed for acceleration and decelleration and not as much for lateral forces.