GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

PCCB Update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:45 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
PCCB Update?

Now that lots more people have picked up cheap GT2's and many people have bought GT3's with PCCB brakes, i was hoping to hear how they are holding up for those of you that track your cars.

Who here tracks with PCCBs? How often? What has your experience been?

I have been out in the GT2 a few times but in general am scared to push it too hard mainly because of the brakes. They have worked flawlessly so far by the way. I really don't want to spend money on replacing the brakes but it is frustrating to not be able to track the car as often and as hard as i would like.

-Steve

P.S. Tyson i sent you a PM a couple days ago on this subject.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:47 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
......crickets....

Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Still not that much experience out there yet.

My PCCB were replaced at 9,000 miles. The second set have 5,000 miles on them and only a little track use (2 days), but plenty of hard road use i.e 190mph to 0 loads of times and are starting to show signs of wear, but no problems yet.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is on a distinguished road
I initially was very wary of pushing the car on th track due to all the posts regarding well, everything really.

So far no problems. 6 hard track days surface is marked but has not started to lift or show any undue signs of wear. I take the car back to the dealer to have them check the brakes after every track day simply to provide a paper trail in case I do get an issue later on.

I do try to look after them though. Warm them up on the out lap, 10 laps (which is about when the tyres start going off anyway) one cooling in lap and then dont go out again until I the disks are cool to the touch (usually about the time it takes to have a can of coke and get rid of it).

P.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
No problems here after 140 miles at Sebring, though I was trying to take it easy.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 AM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
My brake pad cracked and and chuncked after one light lapping day, going to use steel for the front and i am keeping the rear PCCB. Make no mistake they will break with tracke use.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:43 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Mr. RS
(usually about the time it takes to have a can of coke and get rid of it).

P.

that's some fast cooling

Old 07-11-2004, 11:41 PM
VAVAVOOOOOOM
phatGT2 is on a distinguished road
personally I havent tracked the car yet, but I seriously drive the thing hard on the mountain roads here, and there's a bit of road that is just like a track 5 minutes from here, and it is always deserted if im on there at night I seriously push the car, and thus the brakes are solicited all the time, should I be looking out for anything because im not experiencing anything that should or would get me worried, other than the fact that im over suspicious because of all the talk on the PCCB's here on the board....

steve

Old 07-12-2004, 07:16 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Zero brake dust sure is nice.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
VAVAVOOOOOOM
phatGT2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by JASCLASS
Zero brake dust sure is nice.

You know that!!!!

Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
I have tracked my car 5 times, first time on sport/ road pads, every time thereafter I got and used the track specific pads, they are brilliant on the track but take a little longer to heat up, my porsche mechanic introduced me to these pads after I started voicing my concerns in reference to cracking etc.

For anyone that tracks their cars I highly reccommend getting these pads, they are noisy and are useless on the street.

Hope this helped.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by FAT-911
I have tracked my car 5 times, first time on sport/ road pads, every time thereafter I got and used the track specific pads, they are brilliant on the track but take a little longer to heat up, my porsche mechanic introduced me to these pads after I started voicing my concerns in reference to cracking etc.

For anyone that tracks their cars I highly reccommend getting these pads, they are noisy and are useless on the street.

Hope this helped.
I hope it works out for you with the "green" track pads -- just watch them closely. I know a couple of the serious ceramic rotor "failure/destruction" incidents involved the green pad disintigrating with the resultant metal-to-ceramic contact.

My small universe of friends (5) with GT2's who have taken them to the track for DE's have had no problem with the PCCB's. In fact, I believe the ceramic rotors will hold up great to track use as long as you watch the pad wear and do your best to cool down the brakes after extensive track usage. IMHO, it's a poor brake cooling issue/design from Porsche, which affects all the GT cars regardless of the type of rotor in use. The steel rotors develop serious stress cracking (necessitating replacement) after only 1000-1500 track miles.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:16 AM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
Who has used the Green track pad with PCCB?

Before the next track day i will change the front PCCB to Steel rotors with the RS14 Black pad which is the Green Porsche pad and would like to keep the PCCB rotors on the rear with a RS14 pad.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
gt2next is on a distinguished road
if it is an issue of cooling the rotors, can't better air ducting be fitted to the brakes???

Old 07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
Apparantly, Porsche Australia and UK are looking into better cooling methods for the PCCB, the problem with these brakes is the lack of cooling, yes they take a lot more heat over the steel rotors but get damaged in the interim under hard and long periods of hard braking.

Strosek have a good kit that will reduce the heat intake and help the rotors stay a lot cooler, I am going to go down this track and will keep you guys updated.