GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 RS Flywheel Warning?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
GT3 RS Flywheel Warning?!

I love the lightweight, single mass flywheel! The Porsche dealership here just called me though, and read a statement saying the flywheel can cause vibrations, which can stress the engine. Any resulting damage is not covered by warranty. I think Porsche is just being precautionary. I trust the engine they built. Anyone disagree or have any insight?

How would it be different for the GT3 RS?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:52 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
it may sound like an old train due to single mass flywheel. maybe they just don't want u to complain the noise after the install.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
Noise from the flywheel is not an issue for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Porsche with in the last few days has sent a bulletin out to the dealers letting them know that any failures resulting from the RS SMF being installed on the Gt3's will not be covered under warranty,

Since the 911 GT3 (997) engine application is designed for the dual-mass flywheel, conversion to the
single-mass flywheel results in the following problems and consequences:
• The single-mass flywheel causes fluctuations and vibration in the lower rpm range, thereby reducing
the smooth-running performance of the engine.
• The crankshaft is subjected to one-sided loading, causing stress peaks that can result in damage to
the crankshaft.
• The one-sided loading of the crankshaft can cause the pulley to come loose, resulting in damage to
the belt drive and engine.
• Any damage relating to conversion or damage that can be attributed to conversion is not covered
under warranty.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future930man has a brilliant future
WTF is the difference in a gt3 and F... GT3 RS!!!!!!! they are completely FOS!!!!!!!

i assume some will belive they wont cover warranty items when tracking the car??? even though "circuit" driving is discussed in the owners manual

Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
i refuse to believe this voids some warranty. this is probably porsche's way of saying, when doing the rs lwfw, do the rs pulley too.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedoflight
i refuse to believe this voids some warranty. this is probably porsche's way of saying, when doing the rs lwfw, do the rs pulley too.
Good point. I already went through the mangled pulley. It happened about a week after the LWFW install.
I also agree with the comments from 930man.

What is up with Porsche on this one?

Ranger

Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Sounds like someone read this thread on Renntech.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, thanks for the link.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
i highly doubt a lightweight flywheel would cause such a problem.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
by coincidence, i've just asked my dealer (2nd time) about the LWFW for my GT3, and for the 2nd time, they were informed by Porsche Germany that this is not an approved mod.

i didn't force the issue, as my car is still under warranty

Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
humveelat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OmahaGT
Wow, thanks for the link.

Same here. Nice link! Great!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The inconsistencies are way to prominent here.
Why would other reputable Porsche dealers proceed and do the flywheel change?
I am not getting it.
Why is it not a problem for the GT3RS?

Ranger

Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
They proceeded before Porsche stepped in and said its a no no....

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
If the LWFW caused the problem, we'd have seen a ton of this in all the cars out there with LWFW from the aftermarket.....sort of like Porsche saying driver abuse causes 2nd gear pop-out. Think of all the hot rodders doing this out there to corvettes, hondas, and the like....you don't hear about crankshafts too much.....

Nope. They are a good company, but they have some rough edges like all other companies.

The second gear pop-out is a design flaw that is documented. NTSA should make them do a recall IMHO.

On this, 12k track miles on a cranshaft.....hmm.....probably just wear and tear and a metal pour/cast error. Porsche should just cover the issue and perhaps beef up/billet/machine cranks on their high hp cars (gt3's, turbos, gt2's...).

To prove their point, they need to provide the data suggesting all the 997GT3RS's on the road have been balanced formally....show us the data. I suspect there is none.

My opinion of course.

I am sure the RMS is the driver's error too.....in NA cars. And, it has been "fixed" several times so far. Rough edges. They'd be well served to come clean and just take care of customers. Given the current economy, they need us more than we need them....

I know that BMW treats their customers better.....so does GM (Nissan...not so sure.. )

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 10-28-2008 at 07:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Flywheel Warning?!