GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

OZ racing wheel option, Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 AM
DanH has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yeah I would go gold.

I'm puzzled about the E88 weight claim though, they are 18-19lbs IIRC which is the same as these (I think), but made of stronger materials/better process so that fact alone has made me hold back on the Ozs until I see more feedback. I like cheap wheels as they are all consumables in the end, but no point if they are not able to hop a few kerbs as well as the OEMs. I guess the jury is still out.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
Well I will give you a update in 4 to 6 weeks. I called TireRack and put in an order 8.5 x18 fronts and 12x18 rear. 1847.00 shipped to my door. I have been on the boards today and could not find any nay sayers on this rim, the company's reputation or others experience with other OZ rims. so I bought them. When I get them I will throw them on a scale to give you the exact weight. I do like the looks. I ordered black. For my narrow body the offsets were 53/68. pretty much sames as OE. So it all looks good to me. I ordered the Black for my Atlas gray 3.
This is fast becoming the track wheel of choice. I am ordering a set too in 18 for my RS. My mates are all using them on their GT3s for the track as well...

Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harold
This is fast becoming the track wheel of choice. I am ordering a set too in 18 for my RS. My mates are all using them on their GT3s for the track as well...
Please give me a call. I can ship to Singapore.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 AM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Please give me a call. I can ship to Singapore.
Damon are all the color variations for the Ultraleggera HLT 19s and 20s available through Tirerack?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DanH
Yeah I would go gold.

I'm puzzled about the E88 weight claim though, they are 18-19lbs IIRC which is the same as these (I think), but made of stronger materials/better process so that fact alone has made me hold back on the Ozs until I see more feedback. I like cheap wheels as they are all consumables in the end, but no point if they are not able to hop a few kerbs as well as the OEMs. I guess the jury is still out.
The E88 wheels big strong point is that they are repairable and that BBS usually has a track presence for the bigger series. So, If you have the BBS you may be able to get it fixed at the track right there if you bend it. The OZ is one piece, so your choice is to get straightened or throw out and replace. I know the E88 has thinner rim sections as well to achieve the weight. Great track wheel, but it's the reason BBS does NOT recommend them for street use. People call me all the time asking me if I can fix them because they bend pretty easy under street use. Track hops and pothole impact are two completely different animals. The E88 wheels are also in the $1150-$1400 price range vs. $450-$500 for the OZ.

Don't get too freaked out on the CCW ban. The big problem is that Vipers present some interesting challenges for both wheel and tire makers - very heavy, and torgue for miles. The cars can literally tear tires off because of it. Case in point is the Kumho Ecsta XS. Great tire for 99% of cars and available in Viper rear (345/30 19) fitments. BUT Kumho has asked that they not be sold to Viper owners because they just can't hold up to the potential of the car.

Sometimes it takes track use to find out the lateral forces of driving in that manner will degrade a wheel's strength to the point of failure, even though on paper the wheel is load rated for the car. That's why it's very important to check your wheels for cracks periodically. Many don't, and that's why the series has to error on the side of caution. By the way, the big issue with the Viper Racing League ban and the CCW wheels had more to do with them not having a date of manufacture on them. They decided that because people don't check their wheels there needed to be a DOM put on all wheels so they can be checked for fatigue. No date stamp = can't use. If I'm not mistaken HRE had issues also.

John makes excellent wheels, so don't be afraid to buy CCW.

Or use this link:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
Just placed the order for my set

I just ordered my set from TireRack (had to call them since the online fitment for my '05 C2S wouldn't allow 18" wheels).

Here's what I ended up getting...

Fronts: 18x8.5 ET 53 w/ 235/40-18 A048 (Heat Cycled)
Rears: 18x11 ET 63 w/ 315/30-18 A048 (Heat Cycled)

Thanks to Scan Automotive and "NorthVan" Ed for pointing me in the right direction.

Jason.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 PM
GT3 Mike is a name known to allGT3 Mike is a name known to allGT3 Mike is a name known to allGT3 Mike is a name known to allGT3 Mike is a name known to allGT3 Mike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by c2mojo
What color do you guys think would go with a white car? I know I won't like black but am open to the others.
I ordered a set of Orange for 04 White GT3 from Damon..It looks fast

Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 AM
sportchrono is on a distinguished road

Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM
So a month or two on, how are they holding up for folks who are lapping within say 5 secs of the pace of a pro at the same circuit with same car.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
So a month or two on, how are they holding up for folks who are lapping within say 5 secs of the pace of a pro at the same circuit with same car.
Mine are still flawless after 50+ sessions of 25 minutes each, including many sessions, back-to-back (50 minutes without stopping basically) at Laguna Seca spread over three months... Running 1:37's on Hoosier R6's. I'm not pounding the kerbs hard or anything, but I AM on the kerbs in pretty much every corner.

Here's some video.. Notice I am on most of the kerbs/rumble strips.... Sorry about the knocking noise, that's my camera hitting the windshield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6zhvTEbAM

No issues, no problems, they are still round and in balance and show no wear and tear in terms of their finish either. Ask me the same question at the end of the Year...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
That's great to hear. Those kerbs look pretty flat in the vid - is that the case?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
That's great to hear. Those kerbs look pretty flat in the vid - is that the case?
Yeah.. Laguna's kerbs are pretty benign.. no real high ones that will hurt the wheels or the Car too much. Turn 6 and turn 11 are the toughest ones.

If you are a real kerb basher, I would find the strongest wheel available....

Last edited by 80shilling; 03-30-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Yeah.. Laguna's kerbs are pretty benign.. no real high ones that will hurt the wheels or the Car too much. Turn 6 and turn 11 are the toughest ones.

If you are a real kerb basher, I would find the strongest wheel available....
I'm not, but some of the tracks can be a bit brutal over here. New kerbs gone in at silverstone over winter so will see what they are like before deciding.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
M3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud ofM3lelena has much to be proud of

are these OZ ultraleggera?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by M3lelena

are these OZ ultraleggera?
Yes. The Ultraleggera has a minor split-6 spoke pattern, vs. the Allegerita's 9 spoke design.

Or use this link:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OZ racing wheel option, Opinions