GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

OZ racing wheel option, Opinions

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
OZ racing wheel option, Opinions

I am in the market for another set of wheels, this is a cross post from Rennlist, would appreciate any feedback pros/cons on this rim for track use.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...&AID=10398365&

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
By the price of the wheels they must be a cast wheel product.
What are their weights?
They maybe just fine BUT with all the comments about having forged wheels for an application for high priced cars, well what can you say?
The topic can go on. The stock wheels are cast and very heavy yet they are the revered stockers.

Ranger

Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
This comment is directly from Neal at Tire Rack: "The new wheel is the Alleggerita HLT (Italian for lightened) using OZ’s HLT technology this new wheel is lighter without sacrificing strength. On average expect a 10% savings in weight over the Ultraleggera."

Cast wheels can still be very light, and quite strong. OZ's ultraleggera's are about 18-22lbs in 18" sizes, using the low pressure cast process, and the Allegerita HLT's use the same process, so the wheels will definitely be lightweight. The wheel and lip design reminds me alot of the TR MT1's which have been proven winners.

Casting processes and wheel design has gotten better, I bought a set of cast TR MT1's from Tire Rack for the track and they have been flawless on both track and street, and super light at 19-20lbs. Tons of guys have been tracking these lightweight cast wheels with absolutely no problems.

If anything, OZ should be applauded for offering some decent priced wheels for track/street use. Use the $4000 you saved on 4 sets of Nitto's instead.

Last edited by Mvez; 02-16-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
The Ultraleggera HLT cast wheel in 19x8.5 for the Porsche 997 weighs 21.6 lbs (same as the forged HRE P40). The Alleggerita is claimed to be lighter still. This is a great bit of engineering by OZ. Kudos OZ!!!!!
I wonder if the "Big Name" forged wheel guys will start another round of comments like "irresponsibly lightweight" and the like?
Clever alloys, good technology and good engineering have once again raised the bar for wheel companies. Our congratulations to OZ for a great achievement.

Last edited by Tech1_Mike; 02-16-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Great looking wheel and apparently pretty light. And the price is right. $405 for front (8.5x18) and $484 for rears (12x18)...$1,778 TOTAL!! Vs. BBS and HRE's that cost $1,200+ per wheel! Sounds to good to be true. If you go to the OZ website, they give the weight in kilograms for 8x17 of 6.40. Based on conversion of 2.2lbs per 1kg, would be 14lbs! So how much more would a 8.5x18 weigh? Are these designed for racing? Can they handle slicks? They show a pic of the wheels on a mini. Haha.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
From whom i have spoken with this is wat i was able to find out:

There were made by OZ to be a lighter Ultrallega, with a focus for track wheels.

The wanted to lighten the wheel as much as possible and focus on the most cars that will uses them for track:

Mini
Subi
Evo
BMW
Porsche

These are the expected weights for the Porsche:

18x8.5 ~ 19#
18x11.5 ~ 21#

These are not 100% but calculated based on available info.

There are the same weight/lighter than almost all other forged track wheels including
HRE C Series
Volk TE37
CCW
Fikse Profil
BBS

and half the price or less.

THE ONLY FIRGED WHEEL THAT IS LIGHTER THAT I KNOW OF IS:

AMT FORGED TECH1-110

AND THOSE ARE 19" !!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
It is obvious to us that OZ worked very hard to remove unnecessary mass from these wheels. It is painstaking, as we have learned from our own lightweight wheel programs. Props to OZ for throwing down the gauntlet to the forged guys (even us!).
But this underscores what we've been saying for some time:
Use the right alloy, heat treat it to give you high properties, and engineer the wheel to have high strength-to-weight, and you can make some very light, very strong wheels that will really feel great on the car.
In our view, it's "sour grapes" to point at a competitor and say "irresponsibly light". Especially when you have never tested the wheels in question.

Originally Posted by mobonic
From whom i have spoken with this is wat i was able to find out:

There were made by OZ to be a lighter Ultrallega, with a focus for track wheels.

The wanted to lighten the wheel as much as possible and focus on the most cars that will uses them for track:

Mini
Subi
Evo
BMW
Porsche

These are the expected weights for the Porsche:

18x8.5 ~ 19#
18x11.5 ~ 21#

These are not 100% but calculated based on available info.

There are the same weight/lighter than almost all other forged track wheels including
HRE C Series
Volk TE37
CCW
Fikse Profil
BBS

and half the price or less.

THE ONLY FIRGED WHEEL THAT IS LIGHTER THAT I KNOW OF IS:

AMT FORGED TECH1-110

AND THOSE ARE 19" !!!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
hmm...I considered to put them on my BMW..light and sexy

I guess Porsche guys won`t like me for that.,

But I saw them at a tuner/dealer just a few minutes away from me and I really like them!

and the p-car,...

Old 02-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Laguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond reputeLaguna_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Is that thing yours? Looks amazing! Totally bad@ss!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
youngbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant futureyoungbimmer has a brilliant future
no,would be great if it was mine..
it`s from the car shop close to where I live

great car,great guys and....great wheels

Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Well I will give you a update in 4 to 6 weeks. I called TireRack and put in an order 8.5 x18 fronts and 12x18 rear. 1847.00 shipped to my door. I have been on the boards today and could not find any nay sayers on this rim, the company's reputation or others experience with other OZ rims. so I bought them. When I get them I will throw them on a scale to give you the exact weight. I do like the looks. I ordered black. For my narrow body the offsets were 53/68. pretty much sames as OE. So it all looks good to me. I ordered the Black for my Atlas gray 3.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
this looks like a good alternative to ccw. looks nice too.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
Order placed last week as well. Can't go wrong at the price.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Very interesting. Finally a product that does not come with highway robbery charge!

I like the style of 19" Ultraleggera HLT better than the 18" Alleggerita HLT but you pay for it with slight weight penalty

Name:  Orange997TT015.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  184.1 KB

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I believe the HLT on this orange TT are 20", looks great in black!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OZ racing wheel option, Opinions