GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Any Last Minute Suggestions/Advice for GT3 Track Day?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Any Last Minute Suggestions/Advice for GT3 Track Day?

I've been racing for 8 years now, both at the amatuer (SCCA, NASA) and professional (Grand Am Cup) levels. But, as a DE instructor, I also believe that there is always more to learn.

I'm taking the new GT3 to the track for the first time (break in is completed) this weekend. So far, I've got the bars set slightly differently than stock (I went one notch softer on the front for more front end bite, less understeer, based on street driving seat of the pants feel).

I've got Corsa Rs installed and ready to go. I've got the RS19 brake pads installed, ready to go.

I've got the red mist in check.

I know I have a rear weight bias to deal with.

Other than that, what else do you guys thiink I should know about? (Besides the obvious stuff - don't crash, don't lift in the corner, monitor your brakes and tires, don't be a dumb****, etc., etc.)

How does the car handle on the track?

Are there any handling oddities I should be aware of?

Are there any mechanical issues with the car that I should be aware of? Like wierd noises that will freak me out and make me think I broke something? (Like the ticking noise from lifter foam in the M3, which is just normal...)

I assume that there's no concerns with oil starvation due to the dry sump????

Anything mechanical that is prone to failure?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
the only wierd noise i know on mine is the LSD, but you wont' here it with windows open helmet on. car drives beautifully on track, nothing different for you to worry based on your experience. only caveat is what you mentiond, *** heavy.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Where are you racing?

I know there is a OTR event Tuesday at Willow

Old 11-06-2004, 05:02 AM
MetalSolid will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you should be giving us advice...

The GT3 has no major weak spots, it's probably the best "out of the box" track ready street car you can buy. With the Corsa R, I would dial in at least -2.0° camber and keep the hot pressures around F33/R37. If you're running big track Willow, I wouldn't necessarily go with a softer front swaybar your first time with the GT3 there.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:54 PM
racer63 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys.

BTW, we are running a test day at Firebird. There was a NASA race scheduled for this weekend. But, turnout was poor with NASCAR in town. To make matters worse, safety workers were in short supply due to the NASCAR race. So, the local NASA owners decided instead to hold a test day for close friends and associates.

As for giving advice, on racng in general, sure. On a car I've never driven at speed, no thanks!

After today I should know much more about the car's behavior though. From 1000 miles of street driving, it seems like it should be no issue. But, ya never know. For example, the loose bolts on the sway bar end links that we found at mile 500 was a little disconcerting! But, otherwisee, the car has been trouble free.

On another topic, is it the roll cage from Porsche that comes with that suede looking cover that makes it blend into the interior more? I'm think roll cage and saftety harnesses before I take the car out next time.

Also, is the dealer going to give me crap on warranty issues if I have a Porsche roll cage installed? It will not be a race car. I'm only planning on a few track events each year, to fill in the holes in the racing schedule...