Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Traqmate in Street/Track GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BelMaseto
Interesting device, sure, but gloves and touch screen is a bad combination, at least on iPhone race apps.
FWIW -- I do not think you are touching the screen while you are driving...

Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
BelMaseto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PJS
FWIW -- I do not think you are touching the screen while you are driving...
Not while driving hard, of course, but gloves can be a problem when you must select the start/finish line on your first lap, or if you want to save some track section reference point, that is common in these devices.

In any case, my experience with touching devices on the car is limited to some iPhone laptimer apps; may be sensitivity of Track Commander screen is better...

Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BelMaseto
Not while driving hard, of course, but gloves can be a problem when you must select the start/finish line on your first lap, or if you want to save some track section reference point, that is common in these devices.

In any case, my experience with touching devices on the car is limited to some iPhone laptimer apps; may be sensitivity of Track Commander screen is better...
I gotcha...

Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
techchallenged is infamous around these parts
Hey guys, I was referred to Race-Keeper by another member for track data logging. After reviewing their site, I was very impressed with their product capability and simplicity of installation. They said even I could do it, and that's a feat.

After making contact with Race-Keeper, they were very interested in working with the 6speedonline group. To show their support and desire to impact the racing scene, they offered a 10% group purchase discount if we could get 5 or more to purchase. I strongly recommend that you visit their website, http://www.race-keeper.com/, if you are considering a future purchase of a track data system. I personally had been considering Traqmate, Track Commander and others, and this by far seems to be the most user friendly while supplying complete data and analysis software.

Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing. I'd really like to secure one within the next couple of weeks, and to take advantage of this offer. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact JB Haller. He responded to my inquiry over the holiday weekend and assisted me with all my questions. His e-mail is jbhaller@trivinci.com. He even copied others within the organization in the event he did not completely answer my questions.

I think you will be very impressed with their responsiveness. I have no affiliation, but feel good about their quick replies and the recommendations of others on this forum.

Please let me know if interested. If we get the 5, I will then make contact to arrange ordering procedures.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
I'm interested, let me compare Traqmate to Race-Keeper, not sure which one is better...

Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm a traqmate guy and they have been very good to me, so I doubt I'll change but I like this race-keeper thing in that everything is in one package. Traqmate does not actually own chasecam which is a problem for them I think because all of their video is set for it and it takes all these different boxes and crap to get the video. Plus chasecam is expensive if you want all the goods. As for the traqmate itself, I don't think there could be an easier install, just point the sensor unit in the right direction (with arrows located on the unit) fasten it down, then run the wires to the gps antenna, power and display (takes a few minutes tops). Obviously the OBDII is going to be a little more complicated, as it will with any unit, but they have forums on their website and respond quickly to any questions.

From what I see I don't like the on-screen video display of the race-keeper, not much information there. Nor does the software seem as user friendly or informative, but I could be wrong as that is from a glance at their site info. And where is the display???? The traqmate has a function that tells you how far ahead or behind of your fastest lap and being able to look and check is great. That would be a deal breaker for me. The display for traqmate can be mounted right behind the steering wheel or somewhere easily in view to control all of the settings, driver info input for when you let friends borrow it at the track (takes 5 minutes to swap cars). With the race-keeper seems as if you have to keep running back and forth to the computer to know what's going on with the unit.

It's so very easy to even take a non, chasecam camcorder and add to traqmate that unless you're running a full race car with multiple cameras, there is no need for all the extra junk. syncing the data and video is very easy, just have to make sure the camera outputs the right format or buy conversion software.

My honest opinion, though I could be a little biased towards traqmate because I love it and have had it for a long time. But I'm glad traqmate has some competition, beneficial for us all.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Oh yeah, and no video display to make sure you have the camera pointed in the right direction either. So if it's not, you won't know until after you've recorded all day or checked between each session or event.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Good input. Trundle997 claimed the Traqmate was a more difficult install. I would assume he was using many of the components and tach requiring OBDII installation. How can you monitor your video, is that a monitor on the main unit? Additionally, how closely do you monitor the display? I'm wondering if that would be a distraction for me. I pretty much watch the tach and the track, and that's it. It would be nice to get some additional input from Trundle997 concerning his comparison.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I've put the traqmate in and taken out of my car so many times it's rediculous, to put in a friends car between sessions etc. I can assure you it's very simple. I don't know what aspect of the install he was talking about, but the basic install is easy as cake. I'll let him explain more in detail before addressing.

You know how a camcorder has a screen so you can see where the camera is pointed? Even the little ones. That's what I'm talking about, camera adjustment is a pain without one because you are blindly guessing where to point the camera.

The display can be useful even without staring at it. I hardly ever look at mine, just glances on straights at the +/- symbol and shortly after start finish. But no one that has had one would rather not have the option. You can look through the lap times immediately and see a checkered flag by the fastest one. I can't imagine any racer would race without a display. There is an optional shift light, you can program warning lights etc. They really need to add a display if they want to be serious in this market, unless you're racing motorcyle or select open wheelers, everyone want's a display.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Is the video display you referenced with the Chase Cam? If so, I didn't realize those little bullet cameras had a display. Or, are you using a personal camcorder? I currently use a JVC in my car, but figured I'd purchase the cameras with the system I select. I originally had a lot of vibration issues until I switched from hard-drive to memory card.

It does sound like the display (with configurable warning lights) would be advantageous. I will inquire as to whether Race-Keeper intends to add such, and if it will work with other cameras.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I just received an e-mail stating that Race-Keeper intends to roll out a configurable, plug-n-play driver display in the near future. They projected this roll out to be in December. As for cameras, it will not accommodate personal camcorders.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Angus, welcome to 6speed. Thanks for sharing more info about your unit.

Tech challenged, I don't think the race-keeper would need a camcorder option with it's internal video capabilites. A display will really put them on the map.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Gus F, did you ever look at the two for comparison? I'd like to hear your input/thoughts.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Gus F is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by techchallenged
Gus F, did you ever look at the two for comparison? I'd like to hear your input/thoughts.
I was at the track this last saturday and sunday, I talked to somebody that uses traqmate, he only has gps/data and Display unit, not video, he uses a $90.00 video camera to record video so he can review the video related to the part of the track he is interested, this way he save about $1000.

In my case I'd like to have the complete integrated video and data system, regarding the comparison to race-keeper system, I really think the Display Unit makes me go toward traqmate, race-keeper has a very nice integrated system and very easy to install, but the display is important in order to have lap info on track (display unit placement is critical, top of the steering column seems to be a good choice).

Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
PJS
that track commander has integrated video with chase cam and you can control the camera from the touch screen...