Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is dealer putting 50miles on car for service normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Is dealer putting 50miles my car for service normal?

Hey guys, I had a tire pressure monitoring sensor replaced on my RS and was told the dealer need to drive it to reset but does that really take 50 miles? Is this even normal? I'm not that upset about the driving milege but my MPG average went from 24+ mpg to 16mpg Talk about driving it very hard to kill the average.

Please let me know if this is normal for you guys out there?

Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
No!!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Is there anything I can do or contact?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Hell no. I would complain to everyone.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
i had TPMS issues during really hot days and i had the dealer look at the issue. when i picked up the car, they said they cleared the TPMS issues and wanted me to drive the car for a week and let them know. basicly, they didnt drive the car at all and didnt think it needed a road test.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
G997 is infamous around these parts
Somebody hammered your car.....

Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Glock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to beholdGlock Guru is a splendid one to behold
They road that girl hard and put her up wet. :-(

Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
gtr
It looks like Porsche customer service doesnt' care. I may have to move to a different brand that actually cares about thier customers. Perhaps an Audi R8 or something else in the near future.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
blastr17 is infamous around these parts
It is definitly not cool for them to put 50 miles on you car and I would let it be known you are not happy. But let if go after, it is only 50 miles.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
call PNA. Write them a letter to document the complaint, and CC the dealer manager. That will get their attention. Their allocation relies on it.

Make sure to add; anytime a car needs miles to adjust, they give the car back and tell the owner the return it if it doesn't fix after a stated mileage. They don't send their techs on road trips on the clock.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
tell the service manager what happened to your gas mileage as well and ask for a courtesy overrev readout...it will show the hours if the engine was abused...and if abuse was very recent you will know it was the dealer and you can go from there...

Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The owner's manual tells you how to reset the sensors. A dealership visit isn't required at all to reset them. I reviewed my Mitchell guide here (the TPMS "bible", if you will) and it says after install of the sensors all they had to do was tell the car to re-learn the sensor, and drive the car a "few minutes" to get the car to relearn the sensor's position. Certainly not 50 miles.....it's usually literally a couple and the job's done.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
elh0102 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gtr
It looks like Porsche customer service doesnt' care. I may have to move to a different brand that actually cares about thier customers. Perhaps an Audi R8 or something else in the near future.
As you have probably now discovered, the car does not have to be driven at all after resetting the TPM. True, it will take a few miles before the system resets, but those should be your miles, not theirs. Regarding customer service, all makers will give it great lip service, but then it all depends on the specific dealership, often the tech himself. My local dealer has a tech that does most all the work on track cars, and others by request. I have gotten to know him personally, and wouldn't care if he drove my car 50 miles, but, he would not unless it was either justified for the work, or he asked me in advance. In your case, the shop foreman (not service manager) would be my first contact.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
gtr
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
The owner's manual tells you how to reset the sensors. A dealership visit isn't required at all to reset them. I reviewed my Mitchell guide here (the TPMS "bible", if you will) and it says after install of the sensors all they had to do was tell the car to re-learn the sensor, and drive the car a "few minutes" to get the car to relearn the sensor's position. Certainly not 50 miles.....it's usually literally a couple and the job's done.
No they replaced one of the sensors and had to order it. It must have been defective. I've tried reseting the TPMS but it didn't help thus I had to take the car to the dealer.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM
ishmerc is infamous around these parts
Don't feel bad ,I just got mine back and they put 150 miles on it . My car only have 3k miles on it and 500 of those miles is from the dealer servicing my car .My lawyer is working on getting Porsche to buy my POS car back .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is dealer putting 50miles on car for service normal?