GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

LSD buster

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 AM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joel1952
This is what the LSD case look like inside

I tried to get to the oil pickup (?????) screen under the differential. I removed the screw, shown here and tried to pull rearward, but couldn't get it out (working blind and at a bad angle, on my back, under the car)

Any insight??? Is there anything preventing removal?? I think this is a screen and return oil tube that fits into a hole with an o-ring, but I can't see.

Thanks for any information.
I don't have the answer to your question ....

Old 07-13-2010, 05:13 AM
rkirshner is on a distinguished road
another simple question. can some one explain to me what force pushes the ramps apart (towards each wheel) during hard acceleration or deceleration
thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
sob.GT3 is on a distinguished road
Matt

Silly question, but why not simply replace with a Porsche Motorsport Cup LSD as uses far superior materials of construction and preload?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
What's the current price these days on a 996.332.083.9E 2007+ Cup Car LSD?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Motorsport Diff Pack plus bearings, shims, o-rings...£700+VAT

Old 07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Weren't you asking about putting in a whole Cup Car LSD?

A motorsports rebuild kit is definitely an option, though it appears to be a tad bit more expensive than our parts. As for whether or not the parts our superior to ours is highly debatable, but you're entitled to your opinion. Here in the states, the guys who have run both, ours and the Cup parts, in their LSDs tend to prefer our parts.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Fair comment, I guess the motorsport pack is simply an easier option to source in the UK.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor
I suspect a lot of that has to do with educating the shops more than anything else. We have quite a few dealers over there who install our gears and LSDs into customer cars. I suspect most of them don't even know that our service pack would be an option to them.

Though the other part of it may have to do with how many 996.332.083.9C Cup Car LSDs have been dumped on the market over there as well. I have on more than one occasion seen those complete units offered at 1000 Euros or less. That was what was behind my question about the price on the current .9E spec LSD. That's the one with the billet body that they've been making the last few years. Cheap .9C LSDs (the last one with the cast body like the street cars use) have been readily available for a few years now.

An option that people could exercise if their street LSD is worn out is to pick up one of those .9C LSDs and put all the internals into their street body. Not only does it have the motorsports plates in it, but more importantly, it's got the 45/65 ramps. I don't think Porsche even sells the ramps separately, so if any 997 guys buy just the service pack, they've still got the 28/40 ramps in their LSD. Buying a complete .9C LSD would solve that problem if there's still whole units available over there at the kind of prices they had them at last year.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Quick update. It's not a bad idea to change tranny oil after using the new LSD for couple months. This is what my drain plug look like after about 12 + track events with rebuild LSD. Still work perfectly

Name:  PICT8302.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  56.5 KB

Last edited by mikymu; 10-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Former Vendor
I've seen worse. It really doesn't look all that bad for a year's worth of track days. However, if you are really getting 12 days a year I would increase your service interval. For a track toy I suggest changing the gear oil every 5-6 events.

BTW, since a bunch of Bay Area people have posted to this thread, I'll mention I am going to be up at Sears Point on Friday for the first day of DE/Club Racing this weekend. I'll just be hanging out, but if you're gonna be there Friday shoot me a pm or call the shop and leave your number with my wife. I'd love to meet some of you guys...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTgears
I've seen worse. It really doesn't look all that bad for a year's worth of track days. However, if you are really getting 12 days a year I would increase your service interval. For a track toy I suggest changing the gear oil every 5-6 events.

BTW, since a bunch of Bay Area people have posted to this thread, I'll mention I am going to be up at Sears Point on Friday for the first day of DE/Club Racing this weekend. I'll just be hanging out, but if you're gonna be there Friday shoot me a pm or call the shop and leave your number with my wife. I'd love to meet some of you guys...

i will be there.
love to meet you in person.
look for silver 6gt3 with orange wing tips and mirrors
car # 868

Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
whats the best tranny oil for 997S eisen and or gt3 tranny ?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
not sure if it's the best.
many cup cars run this and that's what i use too.

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor
There's some good discussion on oils earlier in this thread. My bottom line comment on the subject is service interval, service interval, service interval.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
i was rec'd REDLINE...

matt what are your thoughts?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LSD buster