GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

TOYO R888 vs ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sprinty_rs4
I don't understand the PS2 being a bad track tire. The Chrysler SRT experience used PS2s on all their cars, I believe the AUDI Experience uses PS2s on their cars. Are there better tires out there especially for the track sure. However, the question was for the street and I don't think the PS2s would be a bad choice.
I've used PS2's on the track with several different cars, and they are fine. They are especially well suited to someone getting started with track events. Obviously, their limits are not as high as R-comp tires, but neither do they put the additional stress on brakes and suspension, things for which the less experienced driver may not be prepared. I'm not sure if the OP was "not impressed" with the grip of the MPSC, or tread wear. Obviously, the PS2 will last a lot longer, and offers all the grip one should need for any street driving.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raiyu
These are not a competitor to the PS2s.

I've used the PS2s, MPSCups, R888s, Nitto Invos, and RE-11s on the track.

The PS2 and the Nitto Invos are high performance street tires and their sidewall isn't strong enough to handle the lateral forces on the track when you are in the white/black run groups.

The outer edge will get completely worn out regardless of what camber you run. I was running -2 up front and -2.6 in the rear and was still wearing out the outside edges on the Invos and PS2s.

Running the RE-11s on the same camber there was no more outside wear and I was able to get the full life out of them. I actually decreased the negative camber a bit so that the insides would not get worn out prematurely.

The RE-11s are a track tire with tread so that you can drive them safely enough in the rain. They are not competitors to the PS2. The PS2 is NOT a suitable track tire at all, it is wasted money once you are driving fast.
So are the RE-11 a R Comp or not?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sprinty_rs4
I put Michelin PS2s (N1 spec) on my GT3 essentially because you get almost twice the tire tread versus the Sport Cups. It was also an approved tire for the car. My primary driving will be on the street with one or two DEs a year. I don't understand the PS2 being a bad track tire. The Chrysler SRT experience used PS2s on all their cars, I believe the AUDI Experience uses PS2s on their cars. Are there better tires out there especially for the track sure. However, the question was for the street and I don't think the PS2s would be a bad choice.
I melted a set of PS2's in the spring. The day started out raining and then part way through the last session it dried up and the tires couldn't take the heat. In the pits I had a lot of liquified rubber on the inside of my wheel wells. I would say that PS2's are not good for the track if you really push them.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
So are the RE-11 a R Comp or not?

No they are not R compound. That being said, they perform very similar to an R compound, and will get nice and soft and stick when warmed up, much like a MPSC or a Toyo R888.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by docdan
No they are not R compound. That being said, they perform very similar to an R compound, and will get nice and soft and stick when warmed up, much like a MPSC or a Toyo R888.
Thanks Dan, I may have to look at them when my PS2's wear out.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Diablo79 will become famous soon enough
My Alley...

hey man. PERFECT opportunity to say "right up my alley". I took on a set of Toyo R888s from my friend when I bought his wheels. I used them for a couple track events, plus drives to/from the track. HOLY DAMN are they sticky...after the first few times driving on them, when I learned a little more about their threshhold, I was able to push those tires to the extreme without any fear of slipping or uncontrollable loss of grip at the edge. I stand by this choice as a great tire, but I really recommend them for track events, as long as you're NOT in fear of getting caught in the rain. If you are, they are bearable, and have surprising rain wicking capabilities given their aggressive tread pattern, but for a daily driver (AND sometimes track use), I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the NITTO INVO. I am using them on my '05 997S for the first time (coming from a die-hard Michelin camp) and will NEVER use another streetable tire. After 7k miles, I still feel as confident in the grip as I did the day I bought them (where I subsequently went out on a "spirited run" through some NIICE roads, twisties, including off-camber, AMAZING!

There's my opinion, for what it's worth

Ohan

Originally Posted by 10GT3
anybody have direct experience with the toyo r888 as a "dd" tire. i will occasionally track and autocross, but primarily drive on weekends and do not drive in the rain but love to canyon carve on mountain roads (no snow) and am interested in longevity, performance etc. and cost. i currently have the prosche spec mpsc's and am not that impressed, especially at the cost. i have almost 5k on my 10gt3 and am getting close to replacement.

any help will be much appreciated. as well as any alternative tire suggestions.

thanks

alan

Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 AM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road
R888's are horrible for the street. You will breathe a sigh of relief when you get rid of them. The Bridgestone RE-11's are the best tires yet, better than MPSC and better than PS2. Just a really fun tire - easy and predictable with lots of grip

Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM
996toomey will become famous soon enough
What hot temps are you guys running the RE-11s at the track?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Quick question.

I know a lot of track guys switch to 18's on the 997's so are you talking about 18's or 19's and for the MPSC are you talking about normal or Porsche spec.

I have a hard time believing the RE-11 would be faster than a regular MPSC on a track, maybe the N1 or whatever they are called, but that would make it faster than every treaded R-comp out there pretty much if it were faster than the reg MPSC. Which aren't much slower than hoosier R6.

My guess is that we are talking #1 about 19's because the biggest 18" size in the RE-11 is the 275, which is pretty small for an 11" wheel, and a no go for a 11.5.

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
From what I hear Toyo is bring back the RA1, it maybe a revised compound but you can still get the orginal RA1. I love this tire, even in the rain it performs very well indeed just keep off the yellow and white lines.

They stick like glue and wear is as expected for an R compound tire on the street. I get one season out of the rears and two for the fronts. I reverse the fronts to even out the wear.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
+ 1 for R888's as a DD.

Personally, I hit corners on the street so tires are important to me.

After you heat cycle them, they will become hard and lose some grip.

I'm running NT-05's, the NT-01's are a R-compounds. Look into them as well.

Toyo and Nitto are made in the same factory...

-Nathan